Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"We're doing it for the children..."

"We're doing it for the children..."

Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:47 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "We're doing it for the children..."

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Canada is better than the UK to raise children according to this study.
I read that when it was first published, Canada is not ahead in every category, but anyway my own highly cynical and subjective view of it is that having kids get their hands on booze is much more tolerated in the UK than here and that leads to all kinds of social problems.

Frankly allowing adults to get their hands on booze in the UK is more tolerated there than here, let alone kids!
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I moved for me, fund job and try somewhere different.

The kids want to move to the UK.

Guess they'll find their own way eventually.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 12:14 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The Never Never Land comment was good. Look at youth culture... in the UK it's vibrant, it's alive, it produces stuff... great music, art, fashion, talented young writers etc, as well as sports - football, rugby, tennis, boxing etc. etc.

What does youth culture in Canada consist of? Hockey, hockey, hockey and highland dancing, as far as I could see.

I think when people say "kids are kids for longer", it's a selfish way of saying that 'we don't let the kids turn into adults until we absolutely have to'.

Fine if that's what you're after, but it's not a universal truth, nor necessarily always a good thing.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 12:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I know this subject often comes up and quite frankly it makes me feel like some kind of freak .....

we didn't move " for the children" ( would have been tough to , don't have any

So I was thinking about all the other reasons people listed and realised that

1. we have a slighly smaller living space than we did in the UK ( in practical terms)
2. we don't own a truck , skidoo , boat , plane , don't even have a car here
3. I earn about 50% less than I did in the UK
4. I'm not into skiing , mountain biking , vacationing under canvas etc , i don't even like the snow particularly

and despite this Ben and I do not regret moving here at all in the slightest ,

Perhaps the above are actually the key to being happy

Last edited by Zoe Bell; Jul 29th 2011 at 2:10 pm. Reason: spelling mistake , there are probably more
Old Jul 29th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The Never Never Land comment was good. Look at youth culture... in the UK it's vibrant, it's alive, it produces stuff... great music, art, fashion, talented young writers etc, as well as sports - football, rugby, tennis, boxing etc. etc.

What does youth culture in Canada consist of? Hockey, hockey, hockey and highland dancing, as far as I could see.

I think when people say "kids are kids for longer", it's a selfish way of saying that 'we don't let the kids turn into adults until we absolutely have to'.

Fine if that's what you're after, but it's not a universal truth, nor necessarily always a good thing.
Oi! What about Bieber?

Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_
Unless they want to live in lower mainland BC.
right, so they prolly wouldn't choose to move there...can't imagine anyone choosing to move to somewhere where they couldn't afford to live!!!
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:26 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

You make your own opportunites in life its as simple as that..whether you are brought up in the UK or Canada.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
right, so they prolly wouldn't choose to move there...can't imagine anyone choosing to move to somewhere where they couldn't afford to live!!!
I bet there are very few that couldn't find somewhere they could afford to live on average wages in the UK. If so, how do such people afford houses in the UK?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:20 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

Houses in Canada might be cheaper but the minimum wage is also lower and many people earn this so trying to get a mortgage is hard - imagine getting $11 an hour 35 hour week = $20,200 per year * 3.5 for a mortgage - $70,000even if both are earning then it is on $140,000. Not many houses are in that price range. One of the reasons there is a greater percentage of private rental companies in Canada compared to the UK. YOu really need a good deposit to buy and it is hard to save that up, although many manage and good on them.

I think if we are honest both countries have wonderful things to offer. Scotland has some of the most amazing scenery - so does Canada - Scotland has midges - Canada has mosquitoes. I'd say hotel and restaurant costs are way more expensive in the UK but you can't beat a good fish supper from the Viking in Largs for a night out.

I'd say our kids are more active here but I'd say that is mainly due to the YMCA and the activities they run, plus what the school gives them. Actually joining a club is sooooo expensive, never mind the equipment. Many of the schools back in the UK are selling their sports fields to get the money to buy other essential features.

We came to try something new, we felt the Scotland was starting to lose its identity, but in many ways Canada is going down the same path. If my lottery every comes up I'd move to a small Island somewhere or rent Richard Branson's paradise!!!
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No1_mom
If my lottery every comes up I'd move to a small Island somewhere or rent Richard Branson's paradise!!!
Until it starts to lose it's identity*

*Read: Until i, as a person, change, not the country/island/area
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Does in Canada as well, in fact moreso imo, there are lots of really good Canadian bands I hear on Canadian radio, in the UK it's largely mass-produced pop crap.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=No1_mom;9526589]Houses in Canada might be cheaper but the minimum wage is also lower

Your statement about minimum wage is not entirely correct. As of October coming min.wage in UK for adults will be £6.08 p/h or Can $9.42 at todays rate.

Minimum wages in Canada are as follows:-
Province General Wage
Alberta $8.80 Alberta Employment and Immigration
BC $8.75 B.C. Ministry of Labour
Manitoba $9.50 Manitoba Labour and Immigration
New Br. $9.50 New Brunswick Employment Standards
Nfld $10.00 Labour Relations Agency
NWT $10.00 Education, Culture and Employment
NS $9.65 Labour and Advanced Education
Nunavut $11.00
Ontario $10.25 Ministry of Labour
PEI $9.30 Community Services, Seniors and Labour
Quebec $9.65 Commission des normes du travail
Sask. $9.25 Saskatchewan Labour
Yukon $9.00

Out of the 13 areas 8 are higher today that the UK's will be in October.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Auld Yin;9526633]
Originally Posted by No1_mom
Houses in Canada might be cheaper but the minimum wage is also lower

Your statement about minimum wage is not entirely correct. As of October coming min.wage in UK for adults will be £6.08 p/h or Can $9.42 at todays rate.

Minimum wages in Canada are as follows:-
Province General Wage
Alberta $8.80 Alberta Employment and Immigration
BC $8.75 B.C. Ministry of Labour
Manitoba $9.50 Manitoba Labour and Immigration
New Br. $9.50 New Brunswick Employment Standards
Nfld $10.00 Labour Relations Agency
NWT $10.00 Education, Culture and Employment
NS $9.65 Labour and Advanced Education
Nunavut $11.00
Ontario $10.25 Ministry of Labour
PEI $9.30 Community Services, Seniors and Labour
Quebec $9.65 Commission des normes du travail
Sask. $9.25 Saskatchewan Labour
Yukon $9.00

Out of the 13 areas 8 are higher today that the UK's will be in October.
BC is going to $10.25 on May 1, 2012. 28% increase, that should put prices up, way more than the HST ever did, especially for produce and restaurants.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think people who move for "better opportunities" are the ones that have failed to be successful in the UK and want to chance their luck somewhere else instead of looking at why they where unsuccessful in the UK. I can only really go on my sisters cohort but they're in their late twenties and all have really nice large houses around the south east of England. But there again, they've all got decent jobs and are successful at them. It's social Darwinism where the strong stay and the weak leave.

Last edited by Oink; Jul 29th 2011 at 6:04 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:06 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

I still can't get used to this $1.50 - $1.60 to the pound, I so liked the $2.20 - 2.40 range. It has stopped me transferrring funds etc and hopefully will improve. It is only good for those going back for a visit.

If you base it on the old rates, the UK worker earns more but I suppose today is the reality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.