Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Weird Holiday Decorations!

Weird Holiday Decorations!

Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird Holiday Decorations!

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Come on Novo try some with spiced rum in it - live a little
Can I take the rum, hold the spices and throw out the nog?
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:36 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Can I take the rum, hold the spices and throw out the nog?
If it floats your boat!
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:47 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I've yet to sample the delights of egg nog - it seems a little scary, it's in a milk carton Maybe I should make some when we're back in the UK and force the rellies to try it with me

Oh and yes there are some really weird deccies too. I remember people in the UK decorating their outsides and a lot of them that went beyond just lights would have some sort of theme going, whether it be just a couple of colours or as much as a train going around an erupting volcano type thing - well just down the road they have gone mad and every year they add a little to the madness. We have the Grinch going up and down a ladder stealing Santa's sack - nothing wrong with that, we also have the nativity - nothing wrong with that, we also have frosty and family blow ups - nothing wrong with that, then we have the multi coloured lights in the trees, the individual light up animals, the multi coloured light up animals, the flashing snowflakes, the candy canes. Individually these things could look quite tasteful, when they're altogether in one front garden it's a bit much. lol.

Has anyone heard of hiding a pickle in a tree?
yup - the pickle in the tree is an old tradition from i think Germany. it is hidden in the christmas tree and the person who finds it on christmas day is blessed with good luck for the following year and an extra pressie!

we sell them in the store I work in - people go crazy for them, we have sold out of them already this year. our new staff are always puzzled by people coming in asking for the pickle ornaments.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:55 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
yup - the pickle in the tree is an old tradition from i think Germany. it is hidden in the christmas tree and the person who finds it on christmas day is blessed with good luck for the following year and an extra pressie!

we sell them in the store I work in - people go crazy for them, we have sold out of them already this year. our new staff are always puzzled by people coming in asking for the pickle ornaments.
ahh so its an ornament - not a bona fide real pickle? A bit let down now
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:42 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Not seen pickle ornaments.....Could one just stick a picked onion or dill pickle in the tree instead
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Piff Poff, thought you had been here ages so I am surprised you haven't yet had any eggnog! Isn't it compulsory like Timmies
Maybe it was the timmies experience put me off the thought of egg nog

Yeah that's right - I found out the tradition when I was working in a gift store last Christmas. I asked my husband if he had heard the tradition - he had no idea and seeing as his Mum was German and therefore most of his rellies are German, he had never ever heard of it.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:19 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Not seen pickle ornaments.....Could one just stick a picked onion or dill pickle in the tree instead
it would be easier to find then - just smell!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:58 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's right - I found out the tradition when I was working in a gift store last Christmas. I asked my husband if he had heard the tradition - he had no idea and seeing as his Mum was German and therefore most of his rellies are German, he had never ever heard of it.
http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth11.htm
Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, now it all makes sense - it's all pretend tradition!
Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My mother used to make eggnog way back in the 50's in the UK - it's not anything new, however, her's always had alcohol in it.

http://historicalfoods.com/egg-nog-recipe

If you put lemonade with it, it's called a snowball!

Edit: Personally, I prefer mulled wine

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 17th 2011 at 7:29 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
My mother used to make eggnog way back in the 50's in the UK - it's not anything new, however, her's always had alcohol in it.

http://historicalfoods.com/egg-nog-recipe

If you put lemonade with it, it's called a snowball!

Edit: Personally, I prefer mulled wine
Around Christmas my Nan used to put those away as if she was a matelot on leave. She'd use Advocaat which is probably a bit like eggnog.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Around Christmas my Nan used to put those away as if she was a matelot on leave. She'd use Advocaat which is probably a bit like eggnog.
It's almost identical - the Dutch version of eggnog, there they normally make it very thick (spoonable) and export the "thinner" pouring version overseas. Lots of alcohol in it too!

http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc147.html

Edit: There are some very interesting names to the drinks that can be made from it!
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
My Dad used to make those for me and my sister when we were little - he used to ad a bit of vodka too oh and a maraschino cherry
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:39 am

Went to a 'new neighbours' Christmas party tonight - alcohol egg nog is very very yum, I had half a glass and my eyes are a bit wobbly
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:58 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Went to a 'new neighbours' Christmas party tonight - alcohol egg nog is very very yum, I had half a glass and my eyes are a bit wobbly
Brilliant. Did you then snog the host in the kitchen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.