British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   washing lines , in NS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/washing-lines-ns-528954/)

deenailz Apr 13th 2008 8:23 am

washing lines , in NS

just a random question :rofl:
but can you hang washing out in NS or is it banned , like so many other places
and just out of interest , where isnt it banned :eek:

did say it was a random question , lol

Cookie Apr 13th 2008 11:05 am

Re: washing lines , in NS

Let it all hang out :thumbsup:

val50 Apr 13th 2008 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by deenailz (Post 6200761)
just a random question :rofl:
but can you hang washing out in NS or is it banned , like so many other places
and just out of interest , where isnt it banned :eek:

did say it was a random question , lol

it depends on where you are living. Some areas, especially in HRM, you are not allowed to hang out washing, put up fences, etc. In other areas, especially the more rural one's, there is no problem.

The4BellsLondon Apr 13th 2008 1:26 pm

huh?? can you really not hang out washing in yr garden in some places??

destinationnovascotia Apr 13th 2008 2:07 pm

It would depend upon the restrictive covenants on your house. Some actually do ban washing lines but they are in the minority I think. Some regulate where to line can be (i.e. not at the front of the house). Your realtor would always find out about any restrictive covenants for you before you made an offer on a property. I don't think that it is just NS, I have heard it said elsewhere too.

Lisa_W Apr 13th 2008 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia (Post 6201888)
It would depend upon the restrictive covenants on your house. Some actually do ban washing lines but they are in the minority I think. Some regulate where to line can be (i.e. not at the front of the house). Your realtor would always find out about any restrictive covenants for you before you made an offer on a property. I don't think that it is just NS, I have heard it said elsewhere too.

'Tis true!! Our house backs onto an open space so we are not allowed to hang our smalls out in case it offends the neighbours (even if they are M&S undies! :rofl:)

I get round it by usng a clothes dryer and hiding it at the back of the balcony, behind a couple of patio chairs! Haven't done that for a while though - didn't fancy having to thaw all the clothes out when I brought them in! :blink:

kate white Apr 13th 2008 4:21 pm

no flippin wonder we got funny looks when we use to hang out our washing:rofl:I had it all out there knickers to the wind:rofl:better not do that then.I cant beleave you cant hang out washing:eek:(in the summer):rofl:well Ive heard it all now

AlvicBC Apr 13th 2008 7:33 pm

You can in Saskatchewan:thumbsup:

Coffeepot Apr 13th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by AlvicSK (Post 6203056)
You can in Saskatchewan:thumbsup:

Way to go sis save the planet :rofl:

I find it so strange its the same in Florida there are restrictions all over like that, what a waste of electric having to tumble dry everything and it always smells so lovely when its been on the line :thumbsup:

The4BellsLondon Apr 13th 2008 9:23 pm

hmm how to win friends and influence people - arrive in new house - air undies and then tell the locals that they are killing the planet by insisting on tumble drye usage!!

AmyDavid Apr 13th 2008 10:42 pm

Ive just bought a washing line today and OH is putting it up tomorrow! Waiting to see if we get told off - we back onto a main road so hope all the people on the bus like getting a look at our smalls!

AlvicBC Apr 14th 2008 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 6203524)
Way to go sis save the planet :rofl:

I find it so strange its the same in Florida there are restrictions all over like that, what a waste of electric having to tumble dry everything and it always smells so lovely when its been on the line :thumbsup:

I love to get my clothes out on the line - I would be devastated to dry everything in the tumble dryer - plus its a bit of a novelty in SK to have good enough weather, after the long winter to be able to put them out without them freezing:rofl:

SivoxII Apr 14th 2008 9:12 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 6201739)
huh?? can you really not hang out washing in yr garden in some places??

I was astonished when I first heard about this, was convinced it was some kind of huge joke!!