British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Washing detergent. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/washing-detergent-746484/)

Miss Clinique Jan 27th 2012 1:52 pm

Washing detergent.

Which one do you use?

Is it me, or do they all smell like toilet block fresheners?

The one I used at home was infused with lavender and camomile or some such thing, I loved it.

iaink Jan 27th 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Washing detergent.

No name cold water.

Chemically all the detergents are pretty much the same, the rest is just marketing and packaging and different perfumes, and I just want clean clothes and dont care about the rest.

The water softener made far more difference to our laundry than any detergent ever did.

dbd33 Jan 27th 2012 2:02 pm

Kirkland, packaged to look a lot like Tide.

Former Lancastrian Jan 27th 2012 2:07 pm

Do you have anything to GAIN by asking this question?

Piff Poff Jan 27th 2012 2:08 pm

Purex (HE) - just bought some SURF (HE) as it was on super cheap offer - $5 for a big thingy. You can get flowery smelling stuff here, I prefer the ones that smell (supposedly) fresh/of the sea and wotnot.

Miss Clinique Jan 27th 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 9868600)
Do you have anything to GAIN by asking this question?

You made I laugh. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Chookie Jan 27th 2012 2:18 pm

I use one called Ecos - supposedly an eco friendly plant based one, but it doesn't smell over perfumed. It is scented with lily and magnolia essential oils, so it is a nice floral scent rather than the overpowering artficial ones that some detergents have.

And it is fairly cheap, comes in huge bottles and if you have a HE machine you only need a teeny tiny bit of it so it lasts for ages.

Costco and Canadia Tire sell it.

Miss Clinique Jan 27th 2012 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Chookie (Post 9868617)
I use one called Ecos - supposedly an eco friendly plant based one, but it doesn't smell over perfumed. It is scented with lily and magnolia essential oils, so it is a nice floral scent rather than the overpowering artficial ones that some detergents have.

And it is fairly cheap, comes in huge bottles and if you have a HE machine you only need a teeny tiny bit of it so it lasts for ages.

I like the sound of this one. I am using one for babies, cant remember what its called, pink top, it smells OK, but as for its cleaning power, well thats a different story.

Our washer is really old, I am going to buy a new one the weekend, so unfair to blame the detergent at this stage.

iaink Jan 27th 2012 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 9868975)
I am using one for babies, cant remember what its called, pink top, it smells OK, but as for its cleaning power, well thats a different story.

I realise that keeping babies clean is close to impossible anyway, but using a washing machine is probably going too far...I hope you at least run it on a gentle cycle...

dollface Jan 27th 2012 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 9868584)
Which one do you use?

Is it me, or do they all smell like toilet block fresheners?

The one I used at home was infused with lavender and camomile or some such thing, I loved it.

Meyers - love the smell, comes in Verbena (which I use) and Lavender - they do a whole range of things in those fragrances, washing up liquid, dryer sheets, all purpose cleaner.

minimeeze Jan 28th 2012 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Chookie (Post 9868617)

Another vote for ECOS here! It's about $15 for a huge container of the stuff and smells lovely. The great thing for me (and my stupid over sensitive skin) is that I don't find it causes me any irritation.

Miss Clinique Jan 28th 2012 1:34 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 9869032)
Meyers - love the smell, comes in Verbena (which I use) and Lavender - they do a whole range of things in those fragrances, washing up liquid, dryer sheets, all purpose cleaner.

Don't think I have seen that one. Which stores sell it?

Novocastrian Jan 28th 2012 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 9869591)
Don't think I have seen that one. Which stores sell it?

<Struggles with self. Realizes that I have been vituperative enough for one evening>

But simply to echo our venerable moderators point, they're all the same bar the food dye etc. I worked for Proctor & Gamble when I was 18. Believe me.

Miss Clinique Jan 28th 2012 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9869632)
<Struggles with self. Realizes that I have been vituperative enough for one evening>

But simply to echo our venerable moderators point, they're all the same bar the food dye etc. I worked for Proctor & Gamble when I was 18. Believe me.

I know they are all the same in terms of their "ingredients" but, a lot of them smell like toilet freshener. I want a nice smelling one.

GC44 Jan 28th 2012 1:09 pm

We use "ERA" which is recomended by Chuck Norris. Smells great plus it kicks the shit out of dirt & stains. ;)