Temporary Car Import

Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Temporary Car Import

Hubby temporarily imported his US car into Canada 3 months ago. It has not been officially exported from the US. For various reasons we have decided to buy a new car here and take the other back to the US and sell it. Do we have to export it from Canada or can we just drive it across the border and sell it?
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Car Import

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hubby temporarily imported his US car into Canada 3 months ago. It has not been officially exported from the US. For various reasons we have decided to buy a new car here and take the other back to the US and sell it. Do we have to export it from Canada or can we just drive it across the border and sell it?
Just drive it back and sell it as it was never officially exported from the USA or imported and registered in Canada. Im assuming it still has US plates on it.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Just drive it back and sell it as it was never officially exported from the USA or imported and registered in Canada. Im assuming it still has US plates on it.
Yes it does. Thank you.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 12:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Temporary Car Import

If you don't want to go all the way back to NJ just to sell a car, I guess you could just go to a car dealer over the border.

I know I've posted this before but I was very happy with CarMax last year....there is one in Rochester, NY. They appraise it and you can sell it on the spot as long as you have the Title and the vehicle registration certificate (the credit card sized certificate that you renew every year) You will receive their appraisal in writing and will hold the price is held for 7 days if you want to try and sell it elsewhere.

I guess you can just mail in the car registration plates and your signed tear-off slip from the Title proving that you are no longer the owner to a NJ DMV office...might be worth giving them a call as there must be many people who move out of State and can't get back to turn them in when they sell or scrap their cars.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/
Old Jul 10th 2014, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If you don't want to go all the way back to NJ just to sell a car, I guess you could just go to a car dealer over the border.

I know I've posted this before but I was very happy with CarMax last year....there is one in Rochester, NY. They appraise it and you can sell it on the spot as long as you have the Title and the vehicle registration certificate (the credit card sized certificate that you renew every year) You will receive their appraisal in writing and will hold the price is held for 7 days if you want to try and sell it elsewhere.

I guess you can just mail in the car registration plates and your signed tear-off slip from the Title proving that you are no longer the owner to a NJ DMV office...might be worth giving them a call as there must be many people who move out of State and can't get back to turn them in when they sell or scrap their cars.

Motor Vehicle Commission
That's exactly what we intend to do...thanks to the info you have posted previously. I am having surgery in the US next Tuesday...so will probably take the car in on Monday.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:02 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Temporary Car Import

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am having surgery in the US next Tuesday...so will probably take the car in on Monday.
I hope all goes well for your surgical procedure and that you recover speedily
Old Jul 11th 2014, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I hope all goes well for your surgical procedure and that you recover speedily
Thank you.