Walter Scott

Old Apr 10th 2015, 4:06 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walter Scott

Originally Posted by Shard
Noted. But there's a very clear line between bullying/bigotry and cold blooded murder. How the guy could do that I just don't know. Unless there's some backstory between the two.
Originally Posted by ann m
It's adrenalin. It's easy. Give a gun to the wrong kind of personality and it's going to go wrong. A lot.

I hate the trial by media and release of half a story. The victim is a saint and the cop is a murderer, or whatever the theme is...it is rarely so black and white (excuse that term).

But sometimes it really does seem as clear cut, as in this case.
I gather this particular individual has form. A chap interviewed on the radio yesterday evening described how he was woken up in the early hours of the morning and violently dragged from his house after having been tazered in the groin, by this same cop a couple of years ago, despite the victim of the crime the cop was responding to shouting that it was the wrong guy and had nothing to do with anything. A complaint was made, but with no video and the he-said-she-said testimony of the cop, no action was taken.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2178669
Old Apr 10th 2015, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I gather this particular individual has form. A chap interviewed on the radio yesterday evening described how he was woken up in the early hours of the morning and violently dragged from his house after having been tazered in the groin, by this same cop a couple of years ago, despite the victim of the crime the cop was responding to shouting that it was the wrong guy and had nothing to do with anything. A complaint was made, but with no video and the he-said-she-said testimony of the cop, no action was taken.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2178669
The video paints a very bad picture for the cop but, one wonders how often someone that committed a crime that feels very real to the victim is not even charged due to the he said/she said nature of the evidence.

This story has RCMP's disaster with the immigrant from Poland written all over it.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I think it must be something like a reflexive mindset, perhaps triggered by adrenalin or something. After constant training in relation to violent crimes, the individual must lose sight of the big picture and just shoot.

I don't have any problem with trial by media, in some cases there may be grounds for a blackout, but generally I think it's good these things are discussed in the open.
In the past US friends have told me that with the possibility of concealed weapons etc any sign of resistance and the police will always shoot first. In this case the guy ran from the car and was tasered with a bit of a fight before running off. Obviously the subsequent shooting is despicable.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 8:46 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

And this one

http://http://www.wsls.com/story/28770340/california-sheriff-investigates-disturbing-video-of-suspect-being-beaten