British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Wages in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/wages-uk-820889/)

Siouxie Jan 9th 2014 11:22 pm

Wages in the UK

Interesting list of incomes for 400 different jobs in the UK, is there much difference in the wages being paid here for similar jobs?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...cupations.html

rivingtonpike Jan 9th 2014 11:30 pm

Re: Wages in the UK

When you convert the £ to $, my wife is on a par with the UK. We have less outgoings here than we used to have in the UK though so I guess overall we are better off than before we emigrated.

I'm in a start-up business situation so I'm not really on the list. I'm happier than I was in the UK though.

Almost Canadian Jan 10th 2014 12:10 am

I lost count of how many times legal professionals were listed:p

bats Jan 10th 2014 12:21 am

A little misleading methinks. The salary for radiographers must include overtime which makes me wonder how much overtime the other figures include.

Aviator Jan 10th 2014 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11071641)
Interesting list of incomes for 400 different jobs in the UK, is there much difference in the wages being paid here for similar jobs?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...cupations.html

Depends what FX one uses. If I use the rate when I arrived to now, I got more $ in my pocket CAD/GBP 20 years ago than I would today ($2.60/$1.70), that would be something like a 35% difference.

20 years ago, I earned more here in CAD than I would of in the UK at that time. Now I would earn less. When an industry has such a vast spread, averages are not really representative. I know of pilots earning minimum wage and others on a lot more.

Ben W Bell Jan 10th 2014 1:49 am

I earn more than that here for my job.

Piff Poff Jan 10th 2014 2:19 am

OH earns far more here, he also spends far more :rofl:

MrFloyd Jan 10th 2014 8:52 am

Wish I could what they claim is the average here...

montreal mike Jan 10th 2014 10:27 am

Chartered and certified accountants £38,283

if true then that is horrific

FFS even at a junior entry level a bean-counter here makes as much as that in dollars

and currency parity is my bible as a dollar is, as far as i am concerned, same as sterling given the cost of living across the pond

so in retrospect i made the right decision when i got out some 51 years ago:)

mikelincs Jan 10th 2014 10:41 am

Seems a bit odd when they have the same occupations listed more than once, see Nos 7 and 23, 10 and 18, Nos 131 and 132 are exactly the same, but then of course it is the DM, so how can one expect them to get facts right.

Yorkiechef Jan 10th 2014 10:43 am

Slightly off subject, I note that when you leave one post and apply for another, the wages a slightly less each time, perhaps this is due to with the migrants being prepared to accept less, so the mean salary is likelytodrop. Unless you have a particular skill an employer is after and they are prepared to pay for it, the renumeration is less. That has no bearing on the exchange rate, unless it is being returned to somewhere in euroland, there are many Eastern European chefs coming here, just like Brit chefs, the quality is variable.

christmasoompa Jan 10th 2014 11:33 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11072073)
Chartered and certified accountants £38,283

if true then that is horrific

FFS even at a junior entry level a bean-counter here makes as much as that in dollars

and currency parity is my bible as a dollar is, as far as i am concerned, same as sterling given the cost of living across the pond

so in retrospect i made the right decision when i got out some 51 years ago:)

I know a few accountants, and they're all on a lot more than that. Their secretary may just make that though! I suspect that as with most similar things, it can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Certainly my job is well under half what I actually earn on there.

montreal mike Jan 10th 2014 12:04 pm

Well if bean-counters in the UK indeed earn more than on this list, good for them.

Learning the trade is, as I remember, quite time-consuming and one needs some university courses and one needs to acquire practical skills

Sadly enough nowadays undue emphasis is placed on whether one is proficient in the confusing multitude of accounting software, as opposed to whether one has a decent grasp of accounting principles and tax knowledge.

I remember being interviwed an HR dept some ten years ago and the conversation was directed on sofware and not accounting and when i tried to redirect the conversation it became obvious that the young girl didn't have a clue

needless to say that job went nowhere:D

christmasoompa Jan 10th 2014 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 11072156)
Well if bean-counters in the UK indeed earn more than on this list, good for them.

I guess that, as with any job in the UK, it depends on experience and location (mainly the latter). Certainly secretaries in London earn more than the amount quoted for an accountant, so an accountants wage there must be a lot higher than that! :lol:

chanceUK Jan 10th 2014 12:24 pm

Vets earn an average of 33k pounds a year in the uk but probably closer to 50k pounds over here and work far fewer hours. Obviously vets that own their own clinic earn more.

Though they may have a debt the equivalent of a mortgage when they graduate