Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Visiting UK - PAYG sim for Canadian phone?

Visiting UK - PAYG sim for Canadian phone?

Old Jul 7th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting UK - PAYG sim for Canadian phone?

Hi
Just wondered what others do when they visit the UK with regards their mobile phones? Last year I merrily texted away thinking the charges would be OK....well they weren't, and I guess I should not have been surprised.

This year, visiting for just over 4 weeks, so ideally want to take my Canadian Nokia phone which i have with Rogers with me, and then get a PAYG sim so that people can text me, phone me etc, and then all I will pay is the PAYG fees in £'s. Is that how it works or will Rogers somehow fathom I am using their handset abroad and charge me a small fortune for the pleasure?

Is this possible? I'm wondering whether or not a Canadian phone is compatible with a UK sim and also what happens to the number? Does the UK SIM assign you a UK number? I'm not very experienced with this as you can probably tell, so any advice (basic!) would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:11 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting UK - PAYG sim for Canadian phone?

Rogers & 3 are interchangeable.. I've swapped them out before with no problems..

Perhaps email 3 just to make sure..
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:54 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I've done that with an Orange (Prepay) Sim cost me £10 if I remember correctly.

They do one (Camel) prepay+SIM with free international minutes, http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon.../pay-as-you-go

Sim + £30 top up gives you 240 free international calling minutes for a total charge of £30.

Not bad.

(Edit. Yes, the SIM purchase will entitle you to a free number)

Edit again~ just found they have a free sim offer if you know of anyone in the UK who can take delivery. http://freesim.orange.co.uk/register/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 7th 2011 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot View Post
Hi
Just wondered what others do when they visit the UK with regards their mobile phones? Last year I merrily texted away thinking the charges would be OK....well they weren't, and I guess I should not have been surprised.

This year, visiting for just over 4 weeks, so ideally want to take my Canadian Nokia phone which i have with Rogers with me, and then get a PAYG sim so that people can text me, phone me etc, and then all I will pay is the PAYG fees in £'s. Is that how it works or will Rogers somehow fathom I am using their handset abroad and charge me a small fortune for the pleasure?

Is this possible? I'm wondering whether or not a Canadian phone is compatible with a UK sim and also what happens to the number? Does the UK SIM assign you a UK number? I'm not very experienced with this as you can probably tell, so any advice (basic!) would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
If your phone is a tri or quad band it should be ok. Is the phone unlocked?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

tariq85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously getting a PAYG sim card in UK is the cheapest way, but I would consider other operators, not only 3 and Orange. For example, if you use NowMobile you will pay 4p for a minute to Canada and 10p for a text, while calls inside UK are 8p/minute and the same rate is for texting.
It's just one of the option, look through offers of Vectone Mobile, Lycamobile, TalkMobile or O2 (they also have a nice offer for international calling). You can find direct links to tariffs of operators on http://sim.fm . It all depends what you will exactly use your mobile for.