Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Visiting Ontario and windfarms

Visiting Ontario and windfarms

Old Oct 1st 2014, 2:18 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Ontario and windfarms

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've been there too (just NW of Palm Springs). I honestly think it's beautiful.
It is. Or was once.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 3:17 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, I have a practical suggestion. Ontario Hydro is a quango, the government can order it to change its policies. I suggest that the government order it to change its pricing policies so that power consumed is an important factor in the bill; they could charge so much per unit consumed rather than the current "high fixed cost minimal charge per unit" model. (e.g. our typical bill is $130 for being connected to the grid, $20 for power consumed, it should be $150 for units consumed, $0 for being connected).

This would encourage people to reduce energy usage and/or to deploy alternative energy sources. At the moment it's only worth using a home windmill or watermill or tidal thingy or galloping dogs in a treadmill if you can move the house completely off the grid. A price per unit model would instantly make all manner of small scale energy intiatives viable.
That is an odd pricing policy indeed. Is it because you are in a rural location or is that how it is throughout the province? What about other provinces? You are probably aware that in the Old Country we are being encouraged to use smart meters to monitor our real time use and reduce consumption/bills accordingly.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 3:35 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Near London.
Cool, nice to know one of our potential areas is so far unaffected lol
Old Oct 1st 2014, 3:40 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the suggestions of hotels and places to make sure we visit and those to avoid like the plague, it's been illuminating
Old Oct 1st 2014, 3:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That is an odd pricing policy indeed. Is it because you are in a rural location or is that how it is throughout the province?
It's true of Ontario Hydro customers. OH generates the power and sells directly to some customers, it wholesales to others. Muncipalities usually have local utility companies, "Toronto Hydro", for example, that retail for OH within the municipalty. There can be other layers but they're not relevant here.

Most rural dwellings are supplied by OH (or a single rural property is supplied by OH and resells to the neighbours). I know that OH has other direct customers but not who they are or how it comes to be.

What about other provinces?
I don't know. I do know that OH buys and sells power to/from utilities in nearby Provinces and States. Long Island Light and Power, for example.

You are probably aware that in the Old Country we are being encouraged to use smart meters to monitor our real time use and reduce consumption/bills accordingly.
Yes, it's an interesting contrast with the approach here.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 3:45 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Thanks all for the suggestions of hotels and places to make sure we visit and those to avoid like the plague, it's been illuminating
Prince of Wales Hotel at Niagara on the Lake is nice (in a Canadian Victoriana sort of way). Quite touristy though. That's all I know as I'm not an Ontarian (yet).
Old Oct 1st 2014, 3:48 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. If you stick around a while you will get used to the MO here.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 3:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You said you intended to go to Windsor. I've been to Windsor and recommend driving past and staying at the Red Roof Inn in either Ann Arbor or East Lansing.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

We have a trip booked to Ontario to have a look see and try to narrow down areas to settle. We are basing this particular trip around southwest Ontario and the Niagara region. Was a bit disturbed by the Windfarm documentary on telly last night, I already know I don't want to live anywhere near one of those monstrosities, so that will be easy to tick off the list. Could mean Southwest Ontario is ticked right off the list looking at the proposal maps

We're planning on a doing the triangle from Toronto (airport) to Windsor and back to Niagara - anywhere we should pay attention to and anywhere we should avoid like the plague? And any particularly nice Niagara hotels recommended?

tia

Relax, you can pick from countless places without worrying about wind farms. I live in southern Ontario and have never once seen a wind farm - not once. Yes wind turbines exist here, but our Liberal government has forced them on rural areas so, unless you plan to live in farm country (and even then only specific areas), you will be fine.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

Aren't windfarms a necessary evil?

No, they require massive government subsidies and are extremely inefficient as an energy source. And they are an absolute blight on the landscape.

Last edited by colchar; Oct 1st 2014 at 4:33 am.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

What wind turbines actually do is generate sustainable, affordable, non polluting energy.

Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:42 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

You said you intended to go to Windsor. I've been to Windsor and recommend driving past and staying at the Red Roof Inn in either Ann Arbor or East Lansing.
Don't even bother going as far as Windsor. There are many wind turbines in that neck of the woods around Essex and Chatham.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:54 am

Prince of Wales Hotel at Niagara on the Lake is nice (in a Canadian Victoriana sort of way). Quite touristy though. That's all I know as I'm not an Ontarian (yet).
Bit pricey that one $600 for three nights eek NOTL is pricey all over though and we are getting a bit desperate to find something nice that isn't all booked up lol

Originally Posted by iaink
Welcome to BE. If you stick around a while you will get used to the MO here.
I'll bare that in mind thanks for the advice

Thank you

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Don't even bother going as far as Windsor. There are many wind turbines in that neck of the woods around Essex and Chatham.
Explains the property prices a little then?
Old Oct 1st 2014, 5:57 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Relax, you can pick from countless places without worrying about wind farms. I live in southern Ontario and have never once seen a wind farm - not once. Yes wind turbines exist here, but our Liberal government has forced them on rural areas so, unless you plan to live in farm country (and even then only specific areas), you will be fine.
Not even the one by the 401?
Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:01 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Piff here's a link to Travelzoo for Niagara
Niagara Area Deals | Hotels, Spas, Restaurants, Experiences | Travelzoo
The Prince of Wales hotel is on there along with other deals

Oh and give Sarnia a miss too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.