Vet's bills

Old Oct 14th 2012, 1:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vet's bills

Originally Posted by acer rose
$120 for two booster shots and an annual check-up for our mutt. Having just visited the dentist, I thought that was quite reasonable.
In the twenty years since I returned to Canada, I've been to a dentist exactly once. He stuck a needle several times into my gums, so as to do something he called "deep cleaning". What he didn't mention is that the shot included epinephrine, to which I have an intolerance. I took me more than a month to get my blood pressure back under control.

I think I'll just get dentures sometime.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 1:19 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
In the twenty years since I returned to Canada, I've been to a dentist exactly once. He stuck a needle several times into my gums, so as to do something he called "deep cleaning". What he didn't mention is that the shot included epinephrine, to which I have an intolerance. I took me more than a month to get my blood pressure back under control.

I think I'll just get dentures sometime.
You should have consulted a chemist before taking the shot.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 1:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
You should have consulted a chemist before taking the shot.
Perhaps. There are all sorts of chemists. No doubt all sorts of dentists too. That one was incompetent.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
Vet clinics (especially the corporate/chain ones) realise that people will shop around for the best price on vaccines and routine surgeries and will sometimes even make a loss on these to get people in the door. However, the lost income will be compensated by higher charges for other services. I would suggest not picking your vet by what seems like the cheapest at the beginning.

As far as regular vet clinics calling themselves hospitals. There are strict guidelines for what the practice can be called e.g. clinic vs hospital and they are inspected to make sure they fulfil the criteria. It is based on the facilities they have. The criteria is very different to the UK however so you may well be surprised as to what constitutes a vet hospital here.
Ah.... I see. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Oct 14th 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps. There are all sorts of chemists. No doubt all sorts of dentists too. That one was incompetent.
Maybe if you had gone to the dentist more than once in 20 years, you wouldn't have needed the 'deep cleaning'.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

+1. My old border collie is on Deramax too. $100 for 30 pills (he takes a half pill per day). My local pharmacist charges $60.
I to have a Border Collie (my third), he is eight years old now and starting show signs of arthritis ....initial examination followed by X-rays came to almost $350. He has been a costly little guy by reason of one or two health problems in his short life and when his time comes, I doubt I will get another, as much I would dearly love to, cost being the primary reason. I will be living off my pension by then and potential vet bills will be a big consideration to be sure. Pet Health Insurance may make it possible, however will have to wait and see when the time comes.

Last edited by macadian; Oct 14th 2012 at 1:38 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
I to have a Border Collie (my third), he is eight years old now and starting show signs of arthritis ....initial examination followed by X-rays came to almost $350. He has been a costly little guy by reason of one or two health problems in his short life and when his time comes, I doubt I will get another, as much I would dearly love to, cost being the primary reason. I will be living off my pension by then and potential vet bills will be a big consideration to be sure. Pet Health Insurance may make it possible, however will have to wait and see when the time comes.
No need to completely forgo the opportunity to have dogs in the future. Ever thought of fostering from the local humane society? or get involved with looking after the puppies that are trained to be autism dogs/guide dogs?

ok, it's not the same but there are a few ways to have a furry companion at home without worrying about the next expensive bill that might arise and there are opportunities to make a big difference.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
No need to completely forgo the opportunity to have dogs in the future. Ever thought of fostering from the local humane society? or get involved with looking after the puppies that are trained to be autism dogs/guide dogs?

ok, it's not the same but there are a few ways to have a furry companion at home without worrying about the next expensive bill that might arise and there are opportunities to make a big difference.
Thanks for the reply....it might be worth thinking about however I fear I am not cut out for that kind of thing as I would inevitably become too attached to them to give them up.....
Old Oct 14th 2012, 4:16 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Mate of mine in West Van had a dog that got hit by a car. Vets had him for four days. Buddy got a bill for $4500. 00
He said it would have been cheaper to have put the dog in the Wedgewood Hotel for four days
Old Oct 15th 2012, 12:40 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Ah vet bills. Our furry companions can be rather expensive. I seem to recall ACL surgery for our lab was something like $3000. Surgery to remove some lumps was about $1600.

We did have pet insurance, but the old "pre-existing condition" clause came up and so didn't cover these (ironically if we'd taken our poor limping hound to the vet one day later the ACL might have been covered, as there is some 21 day waiting period, and we took her in at 20 days - she was fine before that, seemed to come on quickly, labs being labs, they hide pain well, usually until it's very very painful for them)

Alas we had to say goodbye to our friend and the insurance, as to be expected had a lovely deductible, which meant the final expenses they would have paid to us were gobbled up by this, not exactly what you want when you've said goodbye to a faithful friend after 10 years.

Wife has said that she'll never, ever get pet insurance again, said she'd put the monthly payment into a savings account and draw on that if required. Myself, I'm not so sure, if the next hound was to have an expensive injury, it could wipe out that account quickly, and what if there was another following injury, before the account could be topped up, which insurance would cover. Would it not be better just to get coverage from the start. If the next dog is a puppy, then pre-existing conditions should not, hopefully, be an issue.

It has made me wonder if there would be value to an OHIP (or your provincial equivalent) for pets. Many people don't use OHIP and seemingly have no issue with tax dollars going towards others who do, so why not do the same for pets? I'm guessing the majority would, unfortunately, baulk at paying for furry pals, as opposed to humans. I'm no lover of small yappy dogs, or cats, but I'd still be happy for my tax dollars go to OPHIP (Ontario Pet Health Insurance Plan - see, I've got a name for it now ) as I know it would be there if my pet needed.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:56 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

We seem to have struck lucky with the vet we registered with when we first arrived. Any time our dogs have had medication that can be got from the regular pharmacist, our vet has sent us there with a prescription.

Sadly, we have lost both of ours this year - one to prostate cancer, and the other to a combination of things. Both were put to sleep, one outwith regular hours, the other after a 4am phone call, was taken in the next morning. We were not charged a penny for either one.

With regards to insurance - we just have a transfer set aside every two weeks and the money goes into a separate account. It then goes towards vet bills/kennels, etc. So far, it has worked out well and our new puppy's fund is building up nicely. The only problem - my hubby reckons that the dog should use it to buy him a birthday pressie!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

We're raising our own Vet from scratch! Just started first year (after taking a year off after school), and by the time she qualifies, she'll owe me BIG TIME!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

My dog, my best mate, was sick last week. He'd eaten a bone and had a blockage in his bowel. They gave him an x-ray and 2 enemas, which cost almost $500. He got worse over night, and I took him back in first thing in the morning. They said surgery was needed asap, so I agreed.
A few hours later I got a call to say he'd died following a complication, but they handed me another bill for $1200.

Last edited by jericho; Oct 19th 2012 at 1:54 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:15 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
My dog, my best mate, was sick last week. He'd eaten a bone and had a blockage in his bowel. They gave him an x-ray and 2 enemas, which cost almost $500. He got worse over night, and I took him back in first thing in the morning. They said surgery was needed asap, so I agreed.
A few hours later I got a call to say he'd died following a complication, but they handed me another bill for $1200.

That's so sad, I'm sorry for your loss.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
That's so sad, I'm sorry for your loss.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.