British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   A very cool girl (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/very-cool-girl-887625/)

Shard Nov 18th 2016 7:08 pm

A very cool girl

Couldn't resist the snappy thread title, despite the obvious tragedy of this young girl's death. Nevertheless, I'm impressed that she decided to go for the cryogenic option. And I hope she can indeed be revived in the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ed-to-by-court

not2old Nov 18th 2016 7:41 pm

Re: A very cool girl

you just never know, I trust its money well spent

On being 'cryogenically frozen', I wonder if a healthy living person can be put to sleep (or whatever term they use) to be frozen for a period of whatever, to then be revived as they were 'healthy' prior to be iced?

Time travel of sort. If it was possible - I'd do it' for 100 years

Any thoughts, info or case studies on this?

Shard Nov 18th 2016 7:54 pm

Nope, can't be done yet. Not even for an organ. Although freezing is used in IVF.

not2old Nov 18th 2016 8:06 pm

suppose you may be right, but what lies ahead in the future is anyones guess

Alcor: FAQ - Basic

Leave it at that!

dave_j Nov 18th 2016 8:16 pm

Hmmm... life after death.

A new religion perhaps, although interestingly, one based on the potential achievements that science might offer.

However, membership of this religion is only for those with the resources to exploit it.

Apparently the rich will be able to squeeze through the eye of this particular needle and the meek will no longer inherit the earth.

Shard Nov 18th 2016 8:17 pm

Nothing to do with religion. Biology and physics, no more no less.

dave_j Nov 18th 2016 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12108664)

Not a conventional existing religion perhaps, but one still based on faith. A complete trust and belief that one day resurrection will be possible.

Shard Nov 18th 2016 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12108666)
Not a conventional existing religion perhaps, but one still based on faith. A complete trust and belief that one day resurrection will be possible.

You do spout some shoblocks Dave.

Stinkypup Nov 18th 2016 9:04 pm

Good for her. I didn't respect her father though- her choice IMO, least that could be done given the very sad circumstances however slim the chance. Hope is an amazing thing especially for a terminally ill child

dave_j Nov 18th 2016 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12108669)
You do spout some shoblocks Dave.

I do try...

Shard Nov 18th 2016 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12108677)
Good for her. I didn't respect her father though- her choice IMO, least that could be done given the very sad circumstances however slim the chance. Hope is an amazing thing especially for a terminally sick child

Indeed. It apparently gave great comfort, and she even requested to meet the judge, and thanked him as her hero.

daveincolchester Nov 18th 2016 11:59 pm

From what I read, the father was against it and the mother was for it.

Pardon my cynicism, but just who is paying for this?

Danny B Nov 19th 2016 12:05 am

I cannot imagine being brought back to life in 100 years time. It's bad enough being released from prison after 44 years.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 19th 2016 1:26 am

Originally Posted by daveincolchester (Post 12108751)
From what I read, the father was against it and the mother was for it.

Pardon my cynicism, but just who is paying for this?

From the article.

"The judge said the girl’s family was not well off but that her mother’s parents had raised the money. "

MikeUK Nov 23rd 2016 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12108664)

and a massive assumption that the mind/memoires will be retained during the freezing process

the real risk is that if they figure out how start a heart and review the organs, the individual will wake up without memories

there is no physical or chemical reasoning that any memory retention will survive the brain stopping, the only microscopic neural work that fixed the chemistry in cell to survive freezing, effectively prevented any chance of survival of the cell on thawing....