A very cool girl

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A very cool girl

Originally Posted by Shard
Couldn't resist the snappy thread title, despite the obvious tragedy of this young girl's death. Nevertheless, I'm impressed that she decided to go for the cryogenic option. And I hope she can indeed be revived in the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ed-to-by-court
I sincerely hope the mother doesn't come to regret this. If the technology ever becomes available to 'wake her up' and cure the cancer she suffered, she didn't die just from having cancer, but presumably from its devastating effects. If they had to fundraise for the initial processes how are they going to ensure long term maintenance, and the no doubt extortionate future costs of waking/treatment.

In the unlikely event she is ever woken successfully Mike's point about memory is a good one. Also she will be a child who will likely be completely alone, facing a lot of medical treatment. I think if I was her mother I would have taken the 'yes darling, of course we will' approach.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't her memories persist?

I would imagine the "package" she bought will include a component for long term storage and waking up. I think it was £35,000.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't her memories persist?

I would imagine the "package" she bought will include a component for long term storage and waking up. I think it was £35,000.
Seems according to media reports is they got the basic package which only includes preservation of the body in perpetuity but doesn't appear to include bringing the body back to life if the technology ever becomes available.

Looks like a full package including the procedure to bring the body back is over 200,000 US$.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Seems according to media reports is they got the basic package which only includes preservation of the body in perpetuity but doesn't appear to include bringing the body back to life if the technology ever becomes available.

Looks like a full package including the procedure to bring the body back is over 200,000 US$.
Oh ok. Hopefully someone will cover it when the time comes.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 8:52 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Oh ok. Hopefully someone will cover it when the time comes.
why?

be real what's to be gained by reviving somebody other than proof it works

at best they'll need huge amount of medical work to fix, non went into the process 'alive' all met the requirement of being technically DEAD!

So even if they meet the cost to revive them, next follows the cost of fixing them up

my bets on law's being put in place to close these places down, rather than anybody ever being revived
Old Nov 24th 2016, 10:49 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by MikeUK
why?

at best they'll need huge amount of medical work to fix, non went into the process 'alive' all met the requirement of being technically DEAD!

So even if they meet the cost to revive them, next follows the cost of fixing them up

my bets on law's being put in place to close these places down, rather than anybody ever being revived
"Proof that it works" is reason enough. Isn't that the basis for scientific experimentation? The economics are a red herring, perhaps in some cases (such as this one) some minor ethical questions can be raised, but were it a wealthy individual for whom costs were insignificant, then why not do it.

Think back to the state of medicine 150 years ago to now, who is to say what a further 150 years (at accelerating progress) could bring. More imagination please.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 10:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

So even if they meet the cost to revive them, next follows the cost of fixing them up...
Just a thought, but if medical expertise, techniques, ideas and all that stuff have advanced sufficiently to provide a cure and to revive, why on earth would the other stuff necessarily be so problematic?

You're looking at with an early 21st century hat on.