Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Very Best Canadian Songwriter/Artist Ever !

The Very Best Canadian Songwriter/Artist Ever !

Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:38 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Very Best Canadian Songwriter/Artist Ever !

Originally Posted by iaink
Neil Young would be my choice.
He is even better with Crazy Horse
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:43 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I love Rush, and I'm an American female. No assberries, no hair colouring, and a Honda.

I do believe Leonard Cohen to be the most prolific songwriter. But Rush are at the top of their league as musicians.

What about Broken Social Scene?
Rush are some of the best musicians in the history of Rock, even if their late 80`s and 90`s output was pretty poor
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

If I ever get a cochlear implant I suppose I will have to listen to all this stuff
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
If I ever get a cochlear implant I suppose I will have to listen to all this stuff
Believe me you're not missing much.

<Steve heads for the nearest exit.>
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Dirge like Nickelback, Celine, Loverboy, Trooper, Triumph, Rush, Max Webster, Kim Mitchell
Nice guy and great radio host too. Brilliant guitar player.

April Wine
Saw them at the Fergus Truckshow. Blinding good drum solo. The drummer had just turned 69 and had a sore back.

, Bryan Adams, the Tragically Tragic are living proof that CanCon is a ugly monster.
That I agree with. Bryan Adams used to be good and then he fell in to the trap of writing ballads for movies.

So, can I add Honeymoon Suite, Saga, Platinum Blond, Helix and Headpins to the mix?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As one of the most important songwriter/artist (if not the most important) of the 2nd half of the 20th C world wide, if am staggered that Joni Mitchell has only one mention in this thread.

<shakes head in disbelief>
Probably because K.D. Lang's version of "A Case Of You" is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the original. Mind you, as much as I love L. Cohen (Elaine B. I am so not jealous. This shade of green is just a slight cold and nothing to do with you having seen the man live!) I also think her version of Hallelujah is the ultimate version.

Just get the "Hymns of the 49th parallell" and you have the best Canadian songs there is.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Rush are some of the best musicians in the history of Rock, even if their late 80`s and 90`s output was pretty poor
I thought Vapor Trail was a low point. Roll The Bones is awesome. Snakes and Arrows too. The live video/DVD (is it out on DVD?) Show Of Hands is phenomenal.

Now, check out their collaboration with Max Webster Universal Juveniles. The song Battlescar is WOW! You should hear it performed live by Kim Mitchell's band these days. Did I say WOW?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:41 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely Theo Thams..such talent.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I love Rush, and I'm an American female. No assberries, no hair colouring, and a Honda.

I do believe Leonard Cohen to be the most prolific songwriter. But Rush are at the top of their league as musicians.

What about Broken Social Scene?
I first heard of Rush while conducting a sleazy affair with a nanny who worked at the back of the Manulife Centre. She said she worked for a musician so I sought out their material. Having heard it I dumped her.

Awful. Offensive on every level:

- politically dodgy, followers of Ayn Rand

- murderers of English "the glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah!" ridiculous, witless pomposity

- musically endless noodling on a par with Sting.

They don't even look good.

I'll get to BSS when I can get Rush out of my head.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Has to be Gordon Lightfoot, born in Orillia ON......
Best tune the circle is small amongst many others but his most prolific has to be Canadian Railroad Trilogy..

Anyone else enjoy his music ?

View Canadian Railroad Trilogy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zjoO170XFI
My brother has everyone of his albums. I grew up listening to his music and grew to love his music as well. He was in victoria last year ( I think) and we went to see him. It was a wonderful evening. The acoustics at the mcpherson werent great, and his voice not as strong, but he is still a very talented man.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Cant forget stompin tom connors - every hockey players hero.......!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by YYZlover
So, can I add Honeymoon Suite, Saga, Platinum Blond, Helix and Headpins to the mix?
Most definately...you can put them in the c*ck rock category....dirge of the highest order.

Cottage rock is another good term for this derivative blandness.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Buggers: Neil Young, Joni Mitchell; The Guess Who, The Band
New Buggers: Arcade Fire, Kathleen Edwards,
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by clynnog
Most definately...you can put them in the c*ck rock category....dirge of the highest order.

Cottage rock is another good term for this derivative blandness.
Oi! You can't call Saga cottage rock!:curse::curse: That is, by far, my favorite band. I have every studio album they made. They are progrock of the same era as Genesis and Rush. I think Saga made it big in Europe before Rush did.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:14 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I thought Vapor Trail was a low point. Roll The Bones is awesome. Snakes and Arrows too. The live video/DVD (is it out on DVD?) Show Of Hands is phenomenal.

Now, check out their collaboration with Max Webster Universal Juveniles. The song Battlescar is WOW! You should hear it performed live by Kim Mitchell's band these days. Did I say WOW?
In all the years of listening to music it still amazes me how tastes differ so much on music but I suppose this is what makes music debates so interesting Personally would have said "Roll the Bones" is one of Rush`s poorest efforts from their worst ever era as a band!!!! Most of Rush`s music from this period seemed to sound tame and very outdated given the excellent quality of other groups around at this time namely Grunge and Thrash (As you see I love the heavier stuff) Would have said that "Vapour Trails" was their best album since 1984`s "Grace Under Pressure" and we are talking about 18 years difference here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think its a great album given that the album is hard rock and that the band are mature rockers now so its an impressive effort

To be honest as for the other Canadian bands go not too keen on any of them especially Loverboy terrible one of these terrible hair rock bands of the 80`s!!!! But looking at some of the names people have written some are bands I`ve never even heard off!!!! So I will check them out.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Oct 11th 2008 at 9:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.