Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Winter Olympics

Wikiposts

Vancouver Winter Olympics

Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:40 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vancouver Winter Olympics

Is anyone planning anything to do for the Olympics? Personally, it seems like a good time to have a few bevies in the various pavilions/beer gardens and maybe take in a few of the better events on the big screens down town. I hope I can get my hip-flask through the metal detectors.

The only event I would like to go to in person is the ski jumping but sod being on a bus for three hours.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:42 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Winter Olympics

Originally Posted by Oink
Is anyone planning anything to do for the Olympics? Personally, it seems like a good time to have a few bevies in the various pavilions/beer gardens and maybe take in a few of the better events on the big screens down town. I hope I can get my hip-flask through the metal detectors.

The only event I would like to go to in person is the ski jumping but sod being on a bus for three hours.
Keeping well out of the way. Personally it seems to be a huge waste of money and effort that inconveniences more people that it benefits.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:56 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to anything (i won't be in Vancouver). Surprisingly I don't know anyone who is going to any of it. The cradles at work would like to go to the iced hockey but are priced out and nobody seems bothered about anything else.

Vanoc are having a bit of a PR disaster really. Everything they announce seems designed to annoy or inconvenience as many people as possible. Did you see that translink are suggesting that there might be 2 hour queues for the skytrain at peak times... who's going to bother with that?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:00 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm not going to anything (i won't be in Vancouver). Surprisingly I don't know anyone who is going to any of it. The cradles at work would like to go to the iced hockey but are priced out and nobody seems bothered about anything else.

Vanoc are having a bit of a PR disaster really. Everything they announce seems designed to annoy or inconvenience as many people as possible. Did you see that translink are suggesting that there might be 2 hour queues for the skytrain at peak times... who's going to bother with that?
It is a bit of a bother and I'd rather be out of town too. But as I can wander down to GI and walk to downtown I'll probably check out what's going on. Personally, I'm taking it as opportunity to have a few drinks rather than any interest in the sports.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:05 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a bit of a bother and I'd rather be out of town too. But as I can wander down to GI and walk to downtown I'll probably check out what's going on. Personally, I'm taking it as opportunity to have a few drinks rather than any interest in the sports.
Yeah, I'd do the same if i was here. The ensuing transport chaos won't really affect me living downtown although I think I live in a security zone, not sure what that means.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm proroguing all my undergraduate classes.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:57 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm proroguing all my undergraduate classes.
Is that cos you lied to them?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Is that cos you lied to them?
You just pretend you are going to a conference. Depending how many lectures per week the class is, I found you can stretch this method out for nearly a month. You get a colleague to take one or two, get a guest speaker to do another, assign an off campus project for another one and then just cancel one or two lectures. Sorted.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You just pretend you are going to a conference. Depending how many lectures per week the class is, I found you can stretch this method out for nearly a month. You get a colleague to take one or two, get a guest speaker to do another, assign an off campus project for another one and then just cancel one or two lectures. Sorted.
It's about this time of year that I usually claim I have to attend my grandmother's funeral in the UK.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:56 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's about this time of year that I usually claim I have to attend my grandmother's funeral in the UK.
That would be Lazara?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:12 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by fledermaus
That would be Lazara?
Something like that. Actually the Olympics will come in handy this year 'cos I've got a stoodent who failed the course last year re-sitting it. She's thick, but not that thick.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

Well me and the other half will be going to the 2 man bobsled qualifying and finals. We bought the qualifying tickets for $30 each and a family friend bought us the finals tickets as he is also attending the event.

Living in the Sea To Sky corridor we also got 2 free tickets to the medal ceremonies for which we chose the mens downhill.

Yes, getting to and from work is going to be a s**t show and the next 33 days at work are going to be extremely busy, but living half an hour away from something that we will probably never be able to witness again means that we are going to get involved and take advantage of the opportunity. Plus there are as many excellent free events in Whistler village centre to take in.

I know that a lot of money has been spent unnecessarily but this is what many athletes strive for. So, despite all the opponents of the Games, the Olympics will be here in 4 weeks time so we may as well get on and enjoy it!

Zoe M. x
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:04 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zmartin
I know that a lot of money has been spent unnecessarily but this is what many athletes strive for. So, despite all the opponents of the
The games are coming anyway, but sorry, some folks just strive to get shelter and eat - to me the fastest guy down a snow hill does not seem to be all too important in the scheme of things. Imagine how many less fortunate that money would have housed and fed!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

vancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura about

The games are coming anyway, but sorry, some folks just strive to get shelter and eat - to me the fastest guy down a snow hill does not seem to be all too important in the scheme of things. Imagine how many less fortunate that money would have housed and fed!

Why should taxpayers pay to house people who cannot handle their finances? Many of them are in debt of their own choosing. They have only themselves to blame.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by vancouverism

Why should taxpayers pay to house people who cannot handle their finances? Many of them are in debt of their own choosing. They have only themselves to blame.
I seriously doubt the homeless are in debt. Some are used to the streets and now accept it as their lot, others would get out given half the chance, but without a home they have no chance of a job. Many quite likley did not suddenly wake up one morning and decide to live on the streets. Some of those you seem to think have only themselves to blame are kids escaping abusive households and had nowhere else to go & veterans who could not integrate back into society and were abandoned. I would far sooner my taxes went to helping genuinely in need than funding a bunch of people trying to win a pointless race.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.