Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver/Victoria peeps, did you feel the earthquake?

Vancouver/Victoria peeps, did you feel the earthquake?

Old Dec 30th 2015, 6:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vancouver/Victoria peeps, did you feel the earthquake?

19km NNE of Victoria according to the United States Geological Survey website, 4.9.

I was watching TV and the dog walked out of the bedroom, looked at me, and then I felt minor shaking, TV, computer, christmas tree all shook a bit.

Dog then went back to bed.

Anyone else in the area feel it? Happened about 11:39pm.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 30th 2015 at 6:51 am. Reason: The USGS changed the distance and size. Updated to reflect that.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:05 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver/Victoria peeps, did you feel the earthquake?

Just off Saanich I see, eldest son flew back to Uni in Victoria - hopefully things are ok- sounds nothing too mega and yes very common down the west coast but still makes you think and worry a little
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

My teapot broke.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:13 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Oink;11823927]My teapot broke. [/QUOTE

You must be devasted
All our thoughts are with you at this awful time

Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:19 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Stinkypup;11823930]
Originally Posted by Oink
My teapot broke. [/QUOTE

You must be devasted
All our thoughts are with you at this awful time

Thank goodness we have an earthquake kit. Just breaking out the bottle of cognac that I put away for such emergencies. It's also wonderful watching and listening to Canadians be so dramatic.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Just off Saanich I see, eldest son flew back to Uni in Victoria - hopefully things are ok- sounds nothing too mega and yes very common down the west coast but still makes you think and worry a little
Pretty small one, shouldn't be any damage from it. California saw a few in the same size range in the last 24 hours along their coast as well.

If only the dog could talk, did she randomly just get up right before it, or did she sense it coming.......We will never know....
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:25 am

I'm glad I have a large calibre handgun at times like this.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:26 am
Account Closed

Thank goodness we have an earthquake kit. Just breaking out the bottle of cognac that I put away for such emergencies. It's also wonderful watching and listening to Canadians be so dramatic.
Dramatic they are being, its fun to watch.....

4.8 is nothing, now the 6.8 or 7.2 whatever it was Easter 2010 in So. California, that was a little unsettling, but I was in San Diego, so we didn't get the full 6.8.

That one created some exciting backyard pool videos.

Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:27 am

Wait for the aftershocks, they're often worse.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:28 am
I need a walk

Wait for the aftershocks, they're often worse.
Yeh- apparently 4 noodles and an inflatable frog left the pool later That night

I see CBC news shows some very scary video surveillance footage of Christmas light wobbling slightly in a tree in Langley- tense times tonight, it didn't look as if any of the bulbs blew, which is a relief ..

Last edited by Stinkypup; Dec 30th 2015 at 7:54 am.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:39 am

Yeh- apparently 4 noodles and an inflatable frog left the pool that night
I hope Stinky is okay. HID is having puppies as I speak. She's gathering up all her Louis Vuitton stuff up.

Last edited by Oink; Dec 30th 2015 at 7:42 am.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:42 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
19km NNE of Victoria according to the United States Geological Survey website, 4.9.

I was watching TV and the dog walked out of the bedroom, looked at me, and then I felt minor shaking, TV, computer, christmas tree all shook a bit.

Dog then went back to bed.

Anyone else in the area feel it? Happened about 11:39pm.
I felt it in Nanaimo! Cat sat staring out of the glass door!!!
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:44 am
I need a walk

Skinky?! how much cognac have you had- you must have necked it!
Are you heading for high ground or down to boat? Yeh Stinky is oblivious... as you can tell, he is to most things
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:48 am
I need a walk

:
Originally Posted by bananahammock
I felt it in Nanaimo! Cat sat staring out of the glass door!!!
So what with your cat, and JS's dog clearly sensing something, why the hell didn't they haul you lot out of your homes in case they collapsed. What use are earthquake alert pets if they just"get up" or "stare at the glass door?"

I can tell you that if we had a 7.9 quake here, Stinky would still be bloody lying there asleep with his Santa hat on!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Dec 30th 2015 at 7:50 am.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:48 am

Skinky?! how much cognac have you had- you must have necked it!
Are you heading for high ground or down to boat? Yeh Stinky is oblivious... as you can tell, he is to most things
Just taking the time to watch England eviscerate the South African cricket wankers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.