Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver in January!

Wikiposts

Vancouver in January!

Old Nov 29th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

rodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the rough
Default Vancouver in January!

Hey Everybody,

I'm heading over to Vancouver in January with a year long working visa!

I'm hoping to line up a job in Radio before I get out there but if not are there plenty of bar/Kitchen type jobs to keep me going?

Also, in terms of accomodation I'm looking at renting an apartment but am thinking of booking into a hostel for a couple of weeks while I look rather than gamble on anything over the net, is that sensible?

Am hoping to meet a few people over there, I've already been in touch with the Liverpool Supporters Club and will be meeting a few of the members when the games are on so thats a start!

Rod
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:29 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver in January!

Hi!
There's a brand new radio station about to be set up here in the Tri-Cities...
www.ckpmfm.com.

It will cover Port Moody, Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam and thereabouts and there is an article about it in the Tri-city News, Friday's edition.

Worth making a contact? Good Luck!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodderzzz
I'm heading over to Vancouver in January with a year long working visa!

I'm hoping to line up a job in Radio before I get out there but if not are there plenty of bar/Kitchen type jobs to keep me going?
I don't know about the radio, but you shouldn't have any problem getting bar and/or kitchen work. Bar work is better because you will get tips whereas kitchen work is often near minimum wage.

It is a good idea to stay in a hostel at first. It is difficult to rent an apartment over the net and there are scammers about. You want to see where you are going to live! However, pick your hostel with care. The YWCA is very good and central. There are other good ones but the hostels east of Cambie in the downtown area can be pretty seedy. You can always tell us which ones you are considering for a local opinion!

Last edited by JonboyE; Nov 29th 2008 at 12:29 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

rodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't know about the radio, but you shouldn't have any problem getting bar and/or kitchen work. Bar work is better because you will get tips whereas kitchen work is often near minimum wage.

It is a good idea to stay in a hostel at first. It is difficult to rent an apartment over the net and there are scammers about. You want to see where you are going to live! However, pick your hostel with care. The YWCA is very good and central. There are other good ones but the hostels east of Cambie in the downtown area can be pretty seedy. You can always tell us which ones you are considering for a local opinion!
Thanks for that info Seaham Girl, I'll get in touch with them

Jonboy I am looking at staying at Hi Hostel on Granville St.

Seems to be right in Downtown, how does that place sound?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 6:51 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Jonboy I am looking at staying at Hi Hostel on Granville St.

Seems to be right in Downtown, how does that place sound?
The Granville Mall can get a bit lively on a Friday and Saturday night. It is the club area of Vancouver so between midnight and 2-3 am you can expect lots of loud, and very relaxed, people about. There will be police about as well. Apart from that it is very central and convenient.

The hostel should be fine.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:53 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Hi Rod,

I would concur and say get very temporary accom to begin with. I'm sure others would agree that until you're here, you really cannot discover an area and whether it will work for you.

There are many rental places. One company I used and they're professional, is easy rent http://easyrent.ca/. In case you're wondering nothing to do with easyjet despite their site branding.

Also check out listings on Craigslist.ca and Kijiji.ca for Vancouver area (err obviously). With the free listings sites you have to be a lot more careful with scams.

The housing market is quite frozen over here, possibly sending a lot of prospective buyers to the rental market. I'm guessing it may push rents up a bit.

Good luck
G
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

I just moved (nearly 4 months ago now) and live downtown, just off Robson. I am renting a very nice place, but I'm here long term, so wanted to ensure it was more than just a transit station so to speak.

I've heard of a lot of expats lodging in 'SameSun' Hostel on Granville, seems to be a good place, although as has been pointed out, Granville is not a quite street by any stretch, it's basically where all (most) the nightclubs and bars are.

The YWCA is also great - stayed there during my Recce Trip and it was fab. Also very local to everything.

If you need a hand with anything, then give me a shout when you get here - I also work in Recruitment so perhaps I can help you find an 'office job'... no guarentees etc, but if not, Bar jobs are a good way to earn money.

Good Luck and get in touch if you want to by PM!

Bx
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bandit
Hi there!

I just moved (nearly 4 months ago now) and live downtown, just off Robson. I am renting a very nice place, but I'm here long term, so wanted to ensure it was more than just a transit station so to speak.

I've heard of a lot of expats lodging in 'SameSun' Hostel on Granville, seems to be a good place, although as has been pointed out, Granville is not a quite street by any stretch, it's basically where all (most) the nightclubs and bars are.

The YWCA is also great - stayed there during my Recce Trip and it was fab. Also very local to everything.

If you need a hand with anything, then give me a shout when you get here - I also work in Recruitment so perhaps I can help you find an 'office job'... no guarentees etc, but if not, Bar jobs are a good way to earn money.

Good Luck and get in touch if you want to by PM!

Bx
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

thanks Bandit, I will definately be in touch over the next couple of weeks to get some advice.

I'm hoping to swerve the bar jobs if possible because i did it for three years here and bloody hated it!

Have a feeling I'd be dealing with a different mentality out there though

I'm excited
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

The HI Granville and the Samesun are backpacker hostels on Granville Street so as you can imagine, they're very social places. The HI Downtown (on Burnaby Street) is located a 5 minute walk away from Granville Street, but it's located in more of a residential area in the West End a block off of Davie and Burrard. If I wanted a good night's sleep, I'd stay at the HI Downtown. If I wanted the feeling of living in Vancouver as a local would, I'd stay at the HI Downtown. If I wanted to party and meet other backpackers, I'd stay at the HI Granville or the Samesun.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lychee
The HI Granville and the Samesun are backpacker hostels on Granville Street so as you can imagine, they're very social places. The HI Downtown (on Burnaby Street) is located a 5 minute walk away from Granville Street, but it's located in more of a residential area in the West End a block off of Davie and Burrard. If I wanted a good night's sleep, I'd stay at the HI Downtown. If I wanted the feeling of living in Vancouver as a local would, I'd stay at the HI Downtown. If I wanted to party and meet other backpackers, I'd stay at the HI Granville or the Samesun.
Yeah I was looking at that one earlier, seems to make sense to me Lychee I think that's what I'll do, It's the same price and I do like my kip!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

thanks Bandit, I will definately be in touch over the next couple of weeks to get some advice.

I'm hoping to swerve the bar jobs if possible because i did it for three years here and bloody hated it!

Have a feeling I'd be dealing with a different mentality out there though

I'm excited
No worries - I'm away for Christmas but feel free to get in touch and I'll get back to you when I can.

Bar jobs here are different to the UK - seems to me Men tend to be the bartenders, and Women tend to serve the tables.... Tell me if I'm wrong all you locals, but that is what I've seen.

And as for office jobs, hopefully Jan will be bit more boyant that it is now.

Bx