Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island on UK telly tonight

Vancouver Island on UK telly tonight

Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future
Default Vancouver Island on UK telly tonight

Channel 5 at 1915 till 2000.

Monty Hall goes Whale watching, sods law for the time as our video is fubar and I will be travelling home from work

Might catch the last 15 mins.....

Rest of the brood will be watching as we are heading that way in July

hope this is of interest to someone

Adbru
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:09 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Island on UK telly tonight

Originally Posted by Adbru

Adbru
Doesnt look like it.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:46 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Hope you like it, we already live on the island and have been here for a year, would not live anywhere else, it is beautiful. This last summerwas glorious so I hope you see what we did after our fist visit and make it home.

Channel 5 at 1915 till 2000.

Monty Hall goes Whale watching, sods law for the time as our video is fubar and I will be travelling home from work

Might catch the last 15 mins.....

Rest of the brood will be watching as we are heading that way in July

Adbru
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future

Doesnt look like it. LoL.. Underwhelmed with the response

You didnt see much of the Island, it was more an underwater nature program... a lot was filmed at "Dylans Rock" (where abouts is that ??)

Hope you like it, we already live on the island and have been here for a year, would not live anywhere else, it is beautiful. This last summerwas glorious so I hope you see what we did after our fist visit and make it home.

Thanks for that Looking forward to it, paid for the flights now so we are definitley coming over in the summer !!

Take care

Adbru
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:55 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

You didnt see much of the Island, it was more an underwater nature program... a lot was filmed at "Dylans Rock" (where abouts is that ??)
It's Dillon Rock and it's north of Port Hardy between Vancouver Islands and Hope Island. That whole area is known for good scuba diving.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers HWP

Thanks for the info

Adbru
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

aroncai is an unknown quantity at this point

Seen something on the discovery channel a few months ago. It was regarding some type of fungus spores or mould within a wooded area of Vancouver island. This fungus or whatever caused terrible human and animal lung infections. Sometimes fatal. Canadian health authorities placed health warnings within certain zones.

Was this just a brief period and has it all been rectified since?

aroncai
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:15 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

I missed this! When does whale watching season start off vancouver? We'll prolly be there in april if things go to plan and I want to do this...
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:06 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure when the migrations are, but Van Island area has it's own resident pod(s?) of orcas, which are there all year round. Beautiful!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by aroncai
Seen something on the discovery channel a few months ago. It was regarding some type of fungus spores or mould within a wooded area of Vancouver island. This fungus or whatever caused terrible human and animal lung infections. Sometimes fatal. Canadian health authorities placed health warnings within certain zones.

Was this just a brief period and has it all been rectified since?

aroncai
I believe you are referring to the 'leaky condo syndrome' ... many fungi/spores/mold can 'take hold' of a building with the right conditions and essentially take over... google 'leaky condo syndrome'. It happened to a senior's care hospital in Victoria and yes there were likely a few senior who died as a result of reactions from the mold. The hospital has since been demolished. It is worth remembering that the people who were unfortunate to die were also highly fragile to begin with. That said, Vancouver Island, no matter how many trees are logged, is still a rain forest... very moldy, rusty and lots of fun guys... I'll get me coat.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
I missed this! When does whale watching season start off vancouver? We'll prolly be there in april if things go to plan and I want to do this...
Grey whales and orcas migrate in the spring and autumn - April will be good. Grey tend to the west side of the island, orcas to the east but like Morwenna points out there are many resident whales (both greys and orcas) that don't migrate at all - and are there all the time.

<preaching>If you go, please go with a company that doesn't harrass the whales... some compaines are evil and I would cheer if the owners ever fell overboard and became orca food </preaching>

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; Feb 3rd 2007 at 2:24 am. Reason: clarifying.. ohm.....
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:40 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Grey whales and orcas migrate in the spring and autumn - April will be good. Grey tend to the west side of the island, orcas to the east but like Morwenna points out there are many resident whales (both greys and orcas) that don't migrate at all - and are there all the time.

<preaching>If you go, please go with a company that doesn't harrass the whales... some compaines are evil and I would cheer if the owners ever fell overboard and became orca food </preaching>
What do you class as harrassing? And how are you to know if you have picked a harrassing-type company.

I daresay none of the whales really likes folks chasing them in boats and trying to get close to them!! But maybe the resident pods are more used to this, and maybe they'd move on if they were truly upset by it? I am not trying to be provocative, just wondered where the line should be drawn.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:22 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
What do you class as harrassing? And how are you to know if you have picked a harrassing-type company.

I daresay none of the whales really likes folks chasing them in boats and trying to get close to them!! But maybe the resident pods are more used to this, and maybe they'd move on if they were truly upset by it? I am not trying to be provocative, just wondered where the line should be drawn.
I believe by law they are not allowed to approach any closer than 100 meters. At least that is what the captain of the boat we went out on said as he shut down our engine and let us drift.

That does not stop the whales from approaching your boat though.

Cheers
Steve
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna

The idea that the whales should or would just move on is a bit odd to me; it's where they live. It's people who should modify their behaviour.

There are guidelines created by ethical tour operators and marine biologists and wildlife researchers:
http://www.nwwhalewatchers.org/

I've gone whale watching a few times and always with people/companies that are ethical and have a real interest in wildlife as opposed to just making a buck off tourists at the expense of stressing wildlife. The trips were great.

I remember being way out off Tofino in a little Zodiac boat and the tour guy just stopped the boat and said "Dave will be along shortly"... I thought he meant another tour boat dude... but then a big grey whale popped up for a breath. He was ginourmous! He swam passed us a few times, you could see him watching us (made me wonder who was watching who) and then went under the boat and gave us a gentle bump with his back... in a tiny Zodiac, way out in the Pacific... I have never felt so tiny and insignificant in my life! It was AMAZING! I still get shivers thinking about it.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

A whalewatching trip is one of the things we wish to do this summer, any recommendations for a good ethical operator ?? (on Vancouver Island)

It would be best for a larger boat as Mrs Adbru would freak at HWP's story

many thanks

Adbru

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.