Vancouver Boat Show

Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:33 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Boat Show

Yeah, we didn't do a lot of that. I think we only ever cleaned the plugs and changed the oil. Ours was only a 20ft basic ski boat though. No sink or shower for us - you need a piss, go over the side.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 1:39 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Most UK marinas are non-residential, but if you're discrete and happen to sleep every night on your boat they wouldn't chase you off.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Got one thanks.

45 minute drive over the mountain along a FSR to the lake (not suitable for trailering), or a 2hr drive via the highway. Easier to moor and far cheaper on gas.
I didn't mean you, I meant if you live in one of the Vancouver suburbs and have a place to store it. Its much cheaper. Plus, I don't think I'd bother with a boat if I only had access to a lake.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:35 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I didn't mean you, I meant if you live in one of the Vancouver suburbs and have a place to store it. Its much cheaper. Plus, I don't think I'd bother with a boat if I only had access to a lake.
That makes sense.

There's 1000km of shoreline on the Shuswap lakes, and as much again between Kamloops, Kalamalka and Okanagan lakes - more than enough to explore.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My boat owning days are over. If I need one now, I'll just rent it.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H

There's 1000km of shoreline on the Shuswap lakes, and as much again between Kamloops, Kalamalka and Okanagan lakes - more than enough to explore.
Fair enough.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's right, same with planes and birds.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by withabix
So he doesn't go over any of the ramps then. No wonder there were only about 3 people watching....
He was much better in Vancouver, something to with proportion as they only had a small pool with about 1 1/2' of water so they had to use a radio controlled boat which caused quite a bit of wake.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
How long did they last? Did you ever calculate a "days usage" figure (or is there a rule of thumb) to decide whether it is better to buy or rent?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How long did they last? Did you ever calculate a "days usage" figure (or is there a rule of thumb) to decide whether it is better to buy or rent?
The problem with renting vs. buying is that you might not be able to rent what you own in the location you want to use it. I used to own a 25ft RIB which I would take on offshore passages to the Channel Islands or coastal UK. You can charter RIBs, but often are limited to distinct geographic areas such as The Solent. Which is a bit boring. This was all in the UK of course, it may be different in the nirvana of BC.

Sadly my boat owning days were dealt a blow when I emigrating. Barring a lottery win, having two kids was the final nail in the coffin.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
It was for wakeboarding. By the time you've got all the kit including the boat it is an expensive hobby.