Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vaccine for travel purpose?

Vaccine for travel purpose?

Old Aug 14th 2021, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccine for travel purpose?

The world needs to come up with a universal vaccine policy for travel, because currently, it seems near impossible to even plan international travel with changing rules, as well lots of people in Canada have mixed dosing so it would be in Canadas interest to lobby governments to accept it or there might be some very unhappy Canadians finding out they cannot go on their vacation because they don't have the same vaccine for dose 1 & 2.

I have AZ & Moderna but I am not worried as I have about a 0.1% chance of travelling anywhere other than the US, and the US cannot deny me entry, but they could my wife if they ever decide to go the vaccines must be the same route.

MIL who is in Vancouver Coastal Health got Pfizer for #1 and Moderna for #2
Old Aug 14th 2021, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The world needs to come up with a universal vaccine policy for travel, because currently, it seems near impossible to even plan international travel with changing rules, as well lots of people in Canada have mixed dosing so it would be in Canadas interest to lobby governments to accept it or there might be some very unhappy Canadians finding out they cannot go on their vacation because they don't have the same vaccine for dose 1 & 2.

I have AZ & Moderna but I am not worried as I have about a 0.1% chance of travelling anywhere other than the US, and the US cannot deny me entry, but they could my wife if they ever decide to go the vaccines must be the same route.

MIL who is in Vancouver Coastal Health got Pfizer for #1 and Moderna for #2
Exactly! I’ve had to do some research recently and the US, UK and Canada all have different entry strategies and attitudes towards travel, testing and vaccination. It would be far less confusing if they all had same consistent approach.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 1:39 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Correct - that’s been the situation for a while. The UK is concerned about your country of departure rather than vaccination status at present - if you’re from a Green country, you don’t need testing and quarantine (apart from Day2) and they recently added vaxxed people from EU and US - assuming ‘suitable’ vaccines. So as Canada is Amber you have to test and quarantine but you require your vaccination info for re entry into Canada.
The UK has been more relaxed about general entry requirements than the US and Canada, which you’re only allowed to enter if you have valid means to enter eg citizen, PR etc.
Right. But the problem is coming from an Amber country (Canada) and having to quarantine for 10 days. Rules have changed to permit vaxed travellers from US and EU to skip quarantine even if they are in the Amber list. However the definition of fully vaxed is “two the same” and I (like many others in Canada) had two different vaccines. As of today, the situation is unchanged for me - Amber country, no special arrangements, so 10 day quarantine. That quarantine is impractical for a visit to family in the UK for me.

if Canada goes in the green list then fine I’m able to skip quarantine. However I suspect it’s more likely that the arrangements extended to US and Eu are extended to Canada. And then I fall foul of the double vaxed the same requirement.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 1:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Looks like your brother was right dbd33…

https://www.thelocal.it/20210813/uk-...vaccine-doses/

Oh God, please don't tell him.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Right. But the problem is coming from an Amber country (Canada) and having to quarantine for 10 days. Rules have changed to permit vaxed travellers from US and EU to skip quarantine even if they are in the Amber list.

if Canada goes in the green list then fine I’m able to skip quarantine. However I suspect it’s more likely that the arrangements extended to US and Eu are extended to Canada. And then I fall foul of the double vaxed the same requirement.
Agree totally and I’m in exactly the same position as you re vaccination and equally frustrated that we did as we were advised to get vaccinated ASAP with the first available vaccine, which was AZ for many of us. Then denied a second dose of the same so we’ve ended up with mixed doses.
However from what I read, many in Europe are in the same position including Angela Merkel so it’s not a situation peculiar to Canada but I hope that Canada takes a lead in getting internationally recognized vaccine validation sorted.

However where we differ is that I think and hope it more likely that Canada makes the green list soon which gives a little more time for the mixed vaccine fiasco to be sorted.

Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 1:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

More on mixed vaccines - in this case w.r.t. USA and working on cruise liners, but issue is similar for those of us with mixed vaccines and wanting to travel.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mix...ines-1.6144914

I have little faith that a) the Federal Govt is actually doing anything about international acceptance of mixed vaccines and b) even if they are, that other govts will pay a blind bit of notice.

So I guess I'll have to continue to hope that Canada moves to the UK green list. Next update to which is likely in the coming week.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Saskatchewan may have the right idea and just give a 3rd dose to those with mixed vaccines to make life easier.

More on mixed vaccines - in this case w.r.t. USA and working on cruise liners, but issue is similar for those of us with mixed vaccines and wanting to travel.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mix...ines-1.6144914

I have little faith that a) the Federal Govt is actually doing anything about international acceptance of mixed vaccines and b) even if they are, that other govts will pay a blind bit of notice.

So I guess I'll have to continue to hope that Canada moves to the UK green list. Next update to which is likely in the coming week.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 1:44 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Saskatchewan may have the right idea and just give a 3rd dose to those with mixed vaccines to make life easier.
That's specifically not available here - CMOH was asked about it in the weekly covid q&a this week and said it wasn't being considered, and is morally a bit questionable. Better for us all if those third doses go toa county where they are still vaxing 1st and 2nd. That being said , were I offered a chance for another Pfizer or Moderna I'd probably take it.