Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vaccine for travel purpose?

Vaccine for travel purpose?

Old Aug 9th 2021, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Samuel Almeda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vaccine for travel purpose?

Hi all! May I know which vaccine will be useful for future travel purposes? I've not been vaccinated and planning to take the vaccine soon. I'm confused to choose the vaccine. Please share your opinions.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 7:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccine for travel purpose?

Originally Posted by Samuel Almeda
Hi all! May I know which vaccine will be useful for future travel purposes? I've not been vaccinated and planning to take the vaccine soon. I'm confused to choose the vaccine. Please share your opinions.
Do you get to choose the vaccine or just get what you're given? Any given in Canada should be fine anyway.

Where are you planning on travelling to?
Old Aug 9th 2021, 12:19 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very good point about wether you can choose what type of vaccines you can get, by this I mean, for example, can you get both Pfizer, or both Moderna, or is it a case of you get what is available? (I had Pfizer for my first dose, and Moderna for my second dose, no choice was offered, and I was fine with that. My girlfriend had Pfizer for both of her doses)
I think some countries do not recognize you as being fully vaccinated unless it's two doses of the same vaccine, eg Pfizer and Pfizer. I also believe that some Cruise Liner companies sailing from the USA also do not see people as being fully vaccinated unless both doses are the same. Therefore you should check what the requirements are for wherever you are going to travel to.
I'm hopeful that things will be changed shortly, so that a mix of vaccines is recognized as being fully vaccinated.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 12:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I think some countries do not recognize you as being fully vaccinated unless it's two doses of the same vaccine, eg Pfizer and Pfizer.
The UK being one of them.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 12:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The UK being one of them.
Really? That's going to be a problem then as I've had Pfizer and Moderna. Can you point me towards any further info on the subject?

To the OP, Assuming you are in Canada, then your province will dictate what you get. Here (Nfld) we've been interchanging Moderna and Pfizer based on supply. I think it's quite common across Canada for people with a first jab of AZ to have had a second jab of either Pfizer or Moderna.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 1:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Really? That's going to be a problem then as I've had Pfizer and Moderna. Can you point me towards any further info on the subject?
I got that from my brother, an admittedly unreliable source, who has postponed a trip believing that the hodge-podge of drugs in him won't count. The CBC doesn't think the UK recognizes any vaccinations delivered in Canada:

"The United Kingdom also recognizes COVISHIELD. However, fully vaccinated Canadians travelling to the region still must quarantine — no matter what type of vaccine they have. Although the U.K. now exempts fully vaccinated Americans and Europeans from quarantine, it has yet to extend the same privilege to Canadians."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cov...avel-1.6122633

I suppose it'll change day-tp-day.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 1:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I got that from my brother, an admittedly unreliable source, who has postponed a trip believing that the hodge-podge of drugs in him won't count. The CBC doesn't think the UK recognizes any vaccinations delivered in Canada:

"The United Kingdom also recognizes COVISHIELD. However, fully vaccinated Canadians travelling to the region still must quarantine — no matter what type of vaccine they have. Although the U.K. now exempts fully vaccinated Americans and Europeans from quarantine, it has yet to extend the same privilege to Canadians."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cov...avel-1.6122633

I suppose it'll change day-tp-day.
Yeah, UK hasn't yet (hopefully yet) recognised any vaxed Canadians or UK Citizens in Canada as being free from quarantine restriction from an Amber country. The blurb on the FCO website talks about US and EU Citizens have completed a course of FDA or EU Medicines Agency approved vaccine. Again hopefully when they recognise that Canada has a high vaccination rate and a lower Covid incidence and change things, they will recognise our hodge podge of vaccines given that Health Canada are OK with it. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 1:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yeah, UK hasn't yet (hopefully yet) recognised any vaxed Canadians or UK Citizens in Canada as being free from quarantine restriction from an Amber country. The blurb on the FCO website talks about US and EU Citizens have completed a course of FDA or EU Medicines Agency approved vaccine. Again hopefully when they recognise that Canada has a high vaccination rate and a lower Covid incidence and change things, they will recognise our hodge podge of vaccines given that Health Canada are OK with it. Fingers crossed.
Yes. I would like to have a short, quarantine free, trip to the UK (with, or without, the troublesome sibling).
Old Aug 9th 2021, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't have a choice in BC .............. I had Pfizer for my first jab, then was automatically given a pink sticker o wear at registering for my second, no information as to why

Turned out pink sticker was for Pfizer and yellow was for Moderna, but it was only after I was pulled out of the line-up and taken into the vaccination area that I released that.

There were more people getting the Moderna jab at the time that I was there, so I got through faster.

It seems that Coastal Health, at least, preferred giving the same vaccine for both jabs. At first, we were given whichever vaccine was available so people did get mixed doses, but that now there are similar amounts of Pfizer and Moderna, the preference from the health authorities is to have the same one for the second dose. AZ was only available for a short time.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 1:03 pm
Slightly Canadian

Looks like your brother was right dbd33…

https://www.thelocal.it/20210813/uk-...vaccine-doses/
Old Aug 14th 2021, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like your brother was right dbd33…

https://www.thelocal.it/20210813/uk-...vaccine-doses/

That was an interesting read and a change I wasn’t aware of. But the biggest stumbling block at present is that the UK classes Canada as amber so vaccine status is irrelevant and quarantine and testing is required. I accept though that once that changes, vaccine mixing will be the next obstacle. Let’s hope it’s being reviewed in parallel.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 3:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
That was an interesting read and a change I wasn’t aware of. But the biggest stumbling block at present is that the UK classes Canada as amber so vaccine status is irrelevant and quarantine and testing is required. I accept though that once that changes, vaccine mixing will be the next obstacle. Let’s hope it’s being reviewed in parallel.
I have been hoping Canada might move to Green on the next update this enabling me to to travel next month for my mums 80th. The vaccine mixing restriction would make that in feasible.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been hoping Canada might move to Green on the next update this enabling me to to travel next month for my mums 80th. The vaccine mixing restriction would make that in feasible.
Good luck with that - I hope it works out for you. We were hoping for similar last time to no avail and we fly on the day of the next review so it’ll be too late for us. At least we’re going for 5 weeks so have time, and a place, to quarantine although we were hoping it wouldn’t be needed.
Something else I read this morning is that the UK government is reducing the price of its test packages and is looking for private companies to follow suit. Also that they’re investigating the companies currently on its recommended testing list, regarding price, service, performance etc.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 4:10 pm
Slightly Canadian

Now I’m confused as it appears if you are on the green list you don’t need to prove vax status at all. So now I have to hope that Canada goes into the green list …. Which seems unlikely.
Old Aug 14th 2021, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now I’m confused as it appears if you are on the green list you don’t need to prove vax status at all. So now I have to hope that Canada goes into the green list …. Which seems unlikely.
Correct - that’s been the situation for a while. The UK is concerned about your country of departure rather than vaccination status at present - if you’re from a Green country, you don’t need testing and quarantine (apart from Day2) and they recently added vaxxed people from EU and US - assuming ‘suitable’ vaccines. So as Canada is Amber you have to test and quarantine but you require your vaccination info for re entry into Canada.
The UK has been more relaxed about general entry requirements than the US and Canada, which you’re only allowed to enter if you have valid means to enter eg citizen, PR etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.