Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Using both a knife & fork when eating

Using both a knife & fork when eating

Old May 30th 2008, 2:25 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using both a knife & fork when eating

Is it just me or have you noticed that the majority of people in this country only seem to use a fork when eating a sit down meal?

The fork is always in their right hand and they sometimes use the side of it to cut things with as well.

Only reason I'm asking is because my 5yr old has adopted this habit and I'm trying to explain to her the benefits of using both a knife and fork.

We were invited to dinner a few months ago and were handed a plate of spaghetti Bolognese with only a fork?? My Wife and I looked at each other and were both too embarrassed to ask for a knife as no one else was using one.

I struggle without a knife..
Old May 30th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using both a knife & fork when eating

I guess it depends on what your eating.

No need for a knife with spaghetti. Or soup.

A steak though - you'll need a knife. Even if you were born here.
Old May 30th 2008, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in heaven, I was always getting told off for eating and cutting things with my fork edge. Love it!

I too had knifeless spaghetti last night. Only my Dad who's visiting complained and asked for...a spoon in addition
Old May 30th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Is it just me or have you noticed that the majority of people in this country only seem to use a fork when eating a sit down meal?

The fork is always in their right hand and they sometimes use the side of it to cut things with as well.

Only reason I'm asking is because my 5yr old has adopted this habit and I'm trying to explain to her the benefits of using both a knife and fork.

We were invited to dinner a few months ago and were handed a plate of spaghetti Bolognese with only a fork?? My Wife and I looked at each other and were both too embarrassed to ask for a knife as no one else was using one.

When I had just moved to Canada I remember someone commenting that I was being "posh" using a knife and a fork, I think they thought I was showing off
Old May 30th 2008, 2:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its a "normal for north america" thing...I wouldnt stress over it...no one is going to starve as a result, so just do what you are comfortable with.

I wouldn't shrink from asking for a knife or spoon for spaghetti if you want one...think of it as an attempt to civilise the colonials, but dont worry if it doesn't work, there is only so much you can do.

Last edited by iaink; May 30th 2008 at 3:05 pm.
Old May 30th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

I was at dinner at someone's house last week, and I got a fork with no knife, so I asked, very nicely I may add, if I could have a shovel, preferably a snow version. The looks I got! I didn't get one so I guess they only used a snow blower. I would have had difficulties eating with that.
Old May 30th 2008, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

My teeth are grating when the kid's friends come for dinner/supper/tea (whatever you want to call it). I have never heard such a noisy, slurping, chomping, open-mouthed bunch of eaters. It does my head in. I no longer sit down with the kid's and their friends. Hubby and I eat later !!

My not-so-subtle comments have gone over their heads - it's not my place, is it?

Oh, and the knife I put out is rarely used too
Old May 30th 2008, 2:58 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I try to avoid even using a fork.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:08 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Spaghetti doesn't need a knife Even Italians will serve it with a spoon possibly though, as it helps to have something to "twirl" against, and to scoop up that lovely sauce.

I was at a Christmas meal with my singing buddies (mostly Canadians, and I remarked that some were using their knives and forks as I did, some were using them, but reversed left and right (they were not left-handed), and some would pick up their knives to cut then lay them down and eat with the fork in the right hand.

We talked about it for a while (until I'd made everyone self-concious!), and decided it was how you were brought up .... so keep going with the home-training, and some might stick!

My grandad lost his left arm in the first world war, and he would just use a fork. He was ace at cutting just about anything with the side of his fork, and had been known to send a steak back because it was too tough!
Old May 30th 2008, 3:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B;

Who the hell uses a knife to eat spaghetti? Bloody chav.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
So common. I bet the same people buy ready-grated parmesan and don't use cloth napkins.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir;
So common. I bet the same people buy ready-grated parmesan and don't use cloth napkins.
Precisely.

BTW was dthomas being as rude as I think he was over there-> a few minutes ago?
Old May 30th 2008, 3:45 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I do. errm. Innit.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:47 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW was dthomas being as rude as I think he was over there-> a few minutes ago?
Old May 30th 2008, 3:47 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

The fork was introduced later in N. America than in Europe, so each place developed its own practice of using it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.