Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Us goods and travel boycott

Us goods and travel boycott

Old Jul 18th 2018, 1:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Us goods and travel boycott

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How can anyone enjoy a trip to Buffalo?

I love Buffalo. When we need building supplies (which is like always) I choose Buffalo ahead of Detroit. The wings, the fabulous dog park, breakfast, the architecture, the shops. It's not Paris but for people living in Toronto (as I did when first I saw Buffalo) it certainly feels like Paris.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 1:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I flew into Buffalo once, airport was quaint. It was 11:30pm so didn't actually see what the city looked like. Seems convenient to Toronto though.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 1:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I flew into Buffalo once, airport was quaint. It was 11:30pm so didn't actually see what the city looked like. Seems convenient to Toronto though.
It's a nice airport and usually a good choice if you're in Toronto and want to fly to somewhere in the US. It's nor so good for trips to Europe as it's not a hub so there will be at least one change. Flights to Buffalo late at night in winter have a nice camaraderie among the passengers, a lost souls feeling. I suppose that's why De Niro had to live there in Once Upon A Time in America.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 1:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a nice airport and usually a good choice if you're in Toronto and want to fly to somewhere in the US. It's nor so good for trips to Europe as it's not a hub so there will be at least one change. Flights to Buffalo late at night in winter have a nice camaraderie among the passengers, a lost souls feeling. I suppose that's why De Niro had to live there in Once Upon A Time in America.
When I moved to Ontario in 2012, I was flying San Diego to Buffalo via Atlanta. I had not gotten my PR card renewed and didn't want to risk flying directly into Canada so crossed via land.

Was also considerable cheaper, under $225 I think one way.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 2:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

When I moved to Ontario in 2012, I was flying San Diego to Buffalo via Atlanta. I had not gotten my PR card renewed and didn't want to risk flying directly into Canada so crossed via land.

Was also considerable cheaper, under $225 I think one way.
I commuted to San Diego for a few weeks from Buffalo, I don't remember the routing but I rarely do. It would be absurd for me to boycott the US, it's where the money came from as well as being the source of the cars, pets, and so on, that consume that money.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 2:21 am
Account Closed

I commuted to San Diego for a few weeks from Buffalo, I don't remember the routing but I rarely do. It would be absurd for me to boycott the US, it's where the money came from as well as being the source of the cars, pets, and so on, that consume that money.
Yeah, I can't boycott the US as I have too many ties to the US with family there still, and my job well my companies revenue for YVR is derived from US airlines, so if they see a decline in passengers, they might cut back service which could lead to me not having a job, or having hours reduced, so for selfish self preservation purposes, I can't support a US boycott.

A fair amount of people in Canada likely rely on US companies for their income in Canada, the 2 countries are tied together more then some will admit.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 2:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

A fair amount of people in Canada likely rely on US companies for their income in Canada, the 2 countries are tied together more then some will admit.
Indeed.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 5:12 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How can anyone enjoy a trip to Buffalo?
Har, har, frigging, hardy har!

The trip itself can be a pain, depending on exactly when you travel. Beyond that, I find it very pleasant in Buffalo, mainly due to the people, and the various things we do with the aforementioned people.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 3:27 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever possible we buy in the US unless the price is cheaper in Canada, or we can't make a trip across the border. Maybe it's because we're in Atlantic Canada but we find there's so much more choice in the US.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 11:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cxx
Whenever possible we buy in the US unless the price is cheaper in Canada, or we can't make a trip across the border. Maybe it's because we're in Atlantic Canada but we find there's so much more choice in the US.

Same in BC selection wise. US has way more variety. Go into most US chains in Canada then the same in US and we have the diet version....decent but not as good as the original.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea Bats. When do your boycotts of Italy, France and Austria start?
Old Jul 25th 2018, 3:48 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Great idea Bats. When do your boycotts of Italy, France and Austria start?
​​​​​
​​​​​Why what have they done that affects jobs in Canada?
Old Jul 25th 2018, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bats
​​​​​
​​​​​Why what have they done that affects jobs in Canada?
If it helps, I don't believe I have ever knowingly purchased an Austrian product.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 4:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps, I don't believe I have ever knowingly purchased an Austrian product.
Austrian smoked cheese? I've not seen it here but it may be at the St Lawrence Market.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 8:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow - never heard of this company before - cheese you can order online for delivery! They also have branches in Woodstock Ontario (and in Alberta, probably other places)
Save you going to the US for your cheese
https://springbankcheese.ca/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=7

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 25th 2018 at 8:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.