Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Upsides of Coronavirus - positive vibes only :)

Upsides of Coronavirus - positive vibes only :)

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upsides of Coronavirus - positive vibes only :)

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Given that we now all see the value of workers in so-called "lesser jobs" it would be nice to see a revaluation of their pay and conditions. I am given to believe that the likes of Sobeys hand out contracts with hours just shy of those necessary to qualify for benefits. Perhaps that sort of thing could be looked at so that permanent full time work can be offered to those that want it, or wages are looked it to provide a more liveable salary. Starting to sound scarily like a leftie here...
It's a long way from here to there. Canada is a disposable worker economy, legislation to improve the working conditions of the hourly paid will fall foul of the myriad workarounds employers have at their disposal. Besides that, low wage work with low barriers to entry is valuable to high school kids, increase the rates and the formality and that puts casual work at risk.

The way to help people move up is, I think, free education, free vocational training. I understand that, even if you make training free, there will be people who can't take it, they need to work when the course is offered. Still, government can't save everyone; free education offers the chance to move from shop assistant to welder or brain surgeon, depending on talent. Hungry people will jump at such a chance. Some people will find a reason not to go for it, just as they would if offered a subsidy by an individual. At the risk of sounding like a conservative, society owes people a fair chance, not a soft cushion for a wide arse.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Memes are on fire right now. Humans can be so f***ing witty.

This would be a good time to rescue a dog and have the whole family train it.

This will forever change the workplace, the need to go an office, and forever change the delivery of education. I hope those with disabilities and other challenges will benefit from both.

I’m gonna meet all my neighbours out walking.

You have time to paint that back bedroom. Or any bedroom.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Weekends will seem twice as long - like back in the day when we were kids and nothing was open on Sundays.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I filled up for 68.9/L today.
Bloody hell.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Bloody hell.
$0.659 today at Costco in Ottawa. Average price in Ottawa 1 month ago was $1.06. Apparently the lowest price in more than 11 years.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
$0.659 today at Costco in Ottawa. Average price in Ottawa 1 month ago was $1.06. Apparently the lowest price in more than 11 years.
It's 89.9c here in Kamloops. Apparently it's nothing to do with the virus, and something to do with a Russia and Saudi oil price war?
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Employers will realise that people can be just as productive working remotely
Since i'm being forced to stay home and do nothing, if I manage to be employed for the summer i'll have a shitton of money saved up so that when i'm done school and this is all over I can travel the world until it runs out and my line of credit is maxed out.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 9:29 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Walking the dogs yesterday and the landlady of the local pub (closed) came out and told me to bring up some jugs/containers because she was giving away her beer before she has to throw it away.

So I did, she wouldn't take any payment. Rest assured, as soon as she's allowed to open again, I'll be in there like a shot!

Old Mar 23rd 2020, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Walking the dogs yesterday and the landlady of the local pub (closed) came out and told me to bring up some jugs/containers because she was giving away her beer before she has to throw it away.

So I did, she wouldn't take any payment. Rest assured, as soon as she's allowed to open again, I'll be in there like a shot!
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 12:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I count this as a positive. About 6 weeks ago I bought 2 washable N95 face masks with a box of disposable filters, in preparation for a holiday that we've since cancelled. There was no shortage of the masks at that time, but they're impossible to buy now. But now Mum, who is 86 and has cancer, can at least have a bit of added protection when she's at the hospital getting treatment as can anyone who accompanies her.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 3:26 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

i have not had to wear pants in 6 days.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 3:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

No god botherers at the door.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 12:08 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

My working from home in the time of the plague is no different really from before. Aside from the fact that everyone else I work with is also working from home - so webexes with many people on are the norm. Beats trying to listen to a meeting going on in a room somewhere when you are hanging on the phone! As one wag put it - our company now has 2000 global offices. (We have around 2k employees across the world). No immense amount of time to do stuff but a need to keep kids/wife entertained who are not normally home. Its lead to more fractured days and I have made a point of getting out to walk the dogs in the afternoon when the weather is nice.

Many are stressing about home educating their kids. We're more philosophical - ours are 8 & 11 - and while they don't spend all day on a device or in front of the TV and are doing some educational stuff, again if the weathers good they get chucked outside to play in the snow!
Old Mar 24th 2020, 1:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

As single semi retired (work 8 hours a week) person living in a one bed apt my routine has changed very little. go to supermarket use self check out, go to gas station gas up pre pay at pump, go to bank use the titless teller. keep sanitizer in car and use after every reentry to car. go to work at 4am (mainly to listen to cricket ) leave work when others arrive. go home spend rest of day on computer or playing guitar or watching progs on Acorn TV. or browsing BE. the only change is i cant go to the pub of 2 hours on a friday.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 1:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
My working from home in the time of the plague is no different really from before. Aside from the fact that everyone else I work with is also working from home - so webexes with many people on are the norm. Beats trying to listen to a meeting going on in a room somewhere when you are hanging on the phone! As one wag put it - our company now has 2000 global offices. (We have around 2k employees across the world). No immense amount of time to do stuff but a need to keep kids/wife entertained who are not normally home. Its lead to more fractured days and I have made a point of getting out to walk the dogs in the afternoon when the weather is nice.

Many are stressing about home educating their kids. We're more philosophical - ours are 8 & 11 - and while they don't spend all day on a device or in front of the TV and are doing some educational stuff, again if the weathers good they get chucked outside to play in the snow!
Quite different here. 10,000 users are being added to the VPN per day. Few of the 10,000 have worked from home before. Some are call center workers and so have high capacity needs.IT helpdesk overwhelmed. People working shifts 24/7.. All the new users are accidentally finding new ways to break security so that's been updated hourly. WebEx can't cope, most calls are inaudible. Cell phone network flaky. voip calls impossible. Teams looks relatively good; it never really worked and doesn't work now in the same way.

otoh, vets and farriers and liquor vendors are all essential services so nothing significant has changed.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 24th 2020 at 1:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.