British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Unopened alcohol on aircraft?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/unopened-alcohol-aircraft-579337/)

bluemoon1 Dec 19th 2008 11:41 am

Unopened alcohol on aircraft??

Off to spend a couple of days in Ireland with brother and his family over Christmas. The thing is we are only going to carry hand luggage and I wanted to take a bottle or two of wine over as a thankyou for letting us stay.

Can I take this on board or not? Tried looking at Ryanairs website but it only mentions small amounts of liquids. I don't want to buy and then have it taken off me so am I better off buying it over there? :unsure:

Souvenir Dec 19th 2008 11:52 am

Re: Unopened alcohol on aircraft??

Originally Posted by bluemoon1 (Post 7082126)
Off to spend a couple of days in Ireland with brother and his family over Christmas. The thing is we are only going to carry hand luggage and I wanted to take a bottle or two of wine over as a thankyou for letting us stay.

Can I take this on board or not? Tried looking at Ryanairs website but it only mentions small amounts of liquids. I don't want to buy and then have it taken off me so am I better off buying it over there? :unsure:

You will not get it through security in hand luggage. Don't bother trying.

Biiiiink Dec 19th 2008 12:35 pm

Can you not buy it in dutyfree? Watch out if you've got an onward connection though - my Dad had his dutyfree taken off him in transit at Amsterdam as it wasn't put in the required sealed plastic bag by the dutyfree shop in Detroit airport.

minimeeze Dec 19th 2008 12:36 pm

As far as I'm aware, the 100ml rule stil applies to all liquids... whether opened or not. If you buy them in duty free, once you are past security then you will probably be ok, but I wouldn't recommend actually purchasing them before you get to the airport as they'll be confiscated!

Souvenir Dec 19th 2008 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 7082220)
Can you not buy it in dutyfree? Watch out if you've got an onward connection though - my Dad had his dutyfree taken off him in transit at Amsterdam as it wasn't put in the required sealed plastic bag by the dutyfree shop in Detroit airport.

I thought the OP was in the UK? I don't think duty free is an option in the EU these days.

Ka Ora! Dec 19th 2008 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7082230)
I thought the OP was in the UK? I don't think duty free is an option in the EU these days.

The shops are still there, and the prices are high street reduced. It is still known as Duty Free. ;)

Souvenir Dec 19th 2008 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora! (Post 7082246)
The shops are still there, and the prices are high street reduced. It is still known as Duty Free. ;)

I know the shops are still there but I thought duty free was no longer available for travellers going from one EU country to another.

Biiiiink Dec 19th 2008 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7082230)

Oh, I assumed Canada.

How many more sleeps for you now?

Ka Ora! Dec 19th 2008 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7082255)
I know the shops are still there but I thought duty free was no longer available for travellers going from one EU country to another.

Well then it's not Duty Free in reality But it's called Duty Free by the shops and they take a reduced profit margin on over inflated high street prices. So the consumer still see's it as Duty Free.

Souvenir Dec 19th 2008 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora! (Post 7082261)
Well then it's not Duty Free in reality But it's called Duty Free by the shops and they take a reduced profit margin on over inflated high street prices. So the consumer still see's it as Duty Free.

I know what you mean but I do not think that people travelling from one EU country to another are allowed to purchase duty free stuff.

Souvenir Dec 19th 2008 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 7082257)
Oh, I assumed Canada.

How many more sleeps for you now?

Six, not including naps. Looking forward to it lots.

We're almost ready. We still have lots of books to buy, along with most of Shopper's Drug Mart (as usual). Souvette has completed bikini bootcamp and I will, hopefully, have finished the draft of my current book before we go.

The last bit is stressing me somewhat, and probably without reason. I can very probably get the draft over before the hols but I know it won't be edited until January. I'd prefer to not have the thing hanging over my head while I'm on vacation.

Quite why my employer started marketing the thing so early, I do not know. We've sold lots of copies of a book that hasn't been finished yet, and it's very expensive.

bluemoon1 Dec 19th 2008 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7082280)
I know what you mean but I do not think that people travelling from one EU country to another are allowed to purchase duty free stuff.

Yes that was my thought too with regard to the duty free and the EU.

Thanks for all your replies, guess I'll just have to sneak off at some point and nip to the Irish off loisense!