Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

University "Open House"

University "Open House"

Old Oct 11th 2015, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default University "Open House"

For any parents that have visited university open house days with their offspring, how do you "judge" what might be a good program or course?

Now I work in a polytechnic, and our open houses go to town on all the gadgets, technologies and labs, and give students an opportunity to tour and try the hands-on side of things. The business degrees stand alone and impressive applied semesters and employment figures sell.

How do you narrow down the merits of an arts degree - English, psychology, criminology or performing arts (yes, it could be from a diverse selection in our home)?

A tour of the campus could try to sway me with aesthetics, lovely buildings, or impressive new lecture theatres. What did you ask about, dig the website further for, or generally try to pin down?

Did your graduating high schooler decide themselves? Have you just started uni yourself? What went well? What went wrong? What did you wish you had known before starting?

It's just such a lot of money!
Old Oct 11th 2015, 4:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University "Open House"

Originally Posted by ann m
For any parents that have visited university open house days with their offspring, how do you "judge" what might be a good program or course?

Now I work in a polytechnic, and our open houses go to town on all the gadgets, technologies and labs, and give students an opportunity to tour and try the hands-on side of things. The business degrees stand alone and impressive applied semesters and employment figures sell.

How do you narrow down the merits of an arts degree - English, psychology, criminology or performing arts (yes, it could be from a diverse selection in our home)?

A tour of the campus could try to sway me with aesthetics, lovely buildings, or impressive new lecture theatres. What did you ask about, dig the website further for, or generally try to pin down?

Did your graduating high schooler decide themselves? Have you just started uni yourself? What went well? What went wrong? What did you wish you had known before starting?

It's just such a lot of money!
It's as cheap as chips here. You try stumping up $50k tuition a year which is common at many top US institutions.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 4:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the bar and loos. If they are stinky and dilapidated don't chose that place.

Accommodation? Is that up to scratch?

Seriously apart from the academic side of content and results if it's a dump you don't want your kid there
Old Oct 11th 2015, 5:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I would find out how much of the teaching is done by faculty and how much is subcontracted out.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 5:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I would find out how much of the teaching is done by faculty and how much is subcontracted out.
This is typically determined by the size of the institution. Large research universities often have graduate students teach 1st and 2nd year courses while smaller institutions have a better teacher to student ratio. TBH I'm not sure parents should be visiting places, because unless you're training for something specific, whole point of a NA undergraduate eduction, especially one in the social sciences or humanities is socialization/enculturation. They're going to be adult learners who really shouldn't have their mum and dad holding their hands.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
This is typically determined by the size of the institution. Large research universities often have graduate students teach 1st and 2nd year courses while smaller institutions have a better teacher to student ratio. TBH I'm not sure parents should be visiting places, because unless you're training for something specific, whole point of a NA undergraduate eduction, especially one in the social sciences or humanities is socialization/enculturation. They're going to be adult learners who really shouldn't have their mum and dad holding their hands.
This.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it be best to let the student decide where they want to go and what they want to major in? After all it's their life and future.

Not sure I'd go for a generic degree though, better to get a education that involves a good marketable skill these days over just any old degree.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
They're going to be adult learners who really shouldn't have their mum and dad holding their hands.
Originally Posted by HGerchikov
This.
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Wouldn't it be best to let the student decide where they want to go and what they want to major in? After all it's their life and future.
Well, that told me then.

I don't think I will be holding hands - but I will be prompting and suggesting from the sidelines. And paying at least half the costs. Which won't come easily. There are medical and mental health issues that need some supportive noises from the back seats.

She cannot fund a flight to other provinces for a weekend-looksee, so I might need to be convinced it is worth the visit. Hence asking what can you really judge by turning up for 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. I'd wager bugger all.

She's really interested in Surrey in the UK - with associated international fees of 15,000GBP per year, plus accommodation and living costs. That is not in our budget, but then it's only a three year degree....

Did you all honestly let a 17 year old make all the decisions, without opening your mouth to offer an opinion? I don't believe you!
Old Oct 11th 2015, 9:18 pm

Well, that told me then.

I don't think I will be holding hands - but I will be prompting and suggesting from the sidelines. And paying at least half the costs. Which won't come easily. There are medical and mental health issues that need some supportive noises from the back seats.

She cannot fund a flight to other provinces for a weekend-looksee, so I might need to be convinced it is worth the visit. Hence asking what can you really judge by turning up for 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. I'd wager bugger all.

She's really interested in Surrey in the UK - with associated international fees of 15,000GBP per year, plus accommodation and living costs. That is not in our budget, but then it's only a three year degree....

Did you all honestly let a 17 year old make all the decisions, without opening your mouth to offer an opinion? I don't believe you!
Of course you should discuss it, way up the options try and judge the ramifications of certain degree paths. I think you're right that you won't figure too much out in 3 hours but at least you can see if the dorms aren't rat infested dens or they at least clean the swimming pool occasionally.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 9:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hence asking what can you really judge by turning up for 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. I'd wager bugger all.

Got it in one. It is a waste of time.

There is a middle ground. Let her make the decision while providing your opinion when asked.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to agree with most of the opinions posted here...

One thing surprised me & made me curious: do parents normally go to these sort of events? Back in the dark ages when I was uni-shopping they certainly didn't - anyone who turned up with a parent in tow would have been looked at askance, and in the worst case scenario, mocked.

When one of my lot briefly considered higher education, I certainly did a lot of Internet research, and discussed it with him when prompted, but it would never have occurred to me to accompany him to open days.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I tend to agree with most of the opinions posted here...

One thing surprised me & made me curious: do parents normally go to these sort of events? Back in the dark ages when I was uni-shopping they certainly didn't - anyone who turned up with a parent in tow would have been looked at askance, and in the worst case scenario, mocked.

When one of my lot briefly considered higher education, I certainly did a lot of Internet research, and discussed it with him when prompted, but it would never have occurred to me to accompany him to open days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_parent
Old Oct 11th 2015, 10:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Did your graduating high schooler decide themselves? Have you just started uni yourself? What went well? What went wrong? What did you wish you had known before starting? It's just such a lot of money!
Since I had no useful opinion on the course itself, I went along to see if the small town, Halifax, where the university was located was likely to drive the offspring in question off the deep end (I didn't go on to the campus but we did investigate a great number of squidly diddly bars). I liked the place and didn't think she'd be too bored. That was wholy wrong, it did drive her mad, she was too bored, she should have gone to McGill in the first place. So, based on one weekend years ago, I suggest that parents aren't of any help in making this choice. Accept that it's a crap shoot, the student might very well choose the wrong place and have to start again somewhere else.Smile and pay, it's just ballet or figure skating over again but with bigger numbers. Iapologiseforallthetextrunningtogether,Iexpectthes itehasbeenenhancedandIhavenot.

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 11th 2015 at 10:17 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

My perception is that he absolutely made the decision, but as he is home for thanksgiving, I asked how he felt about it. He says that the decision was totally his, he says there was some discussion but he took the route he wanted. His Dad preferred a different University, my contribution was apparently 'do whatever you think is right for you'. He is a very mature, sensible, kid, who knows what he wants. If he had been different then maybe he would have needed more input. Everyone is different.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

There is a middle ground. Let her make the decision while providing your opinion when asked.
That's pretty much where I am at. I wasn't intending to walk beside her as she goes around (but thanks everyone for helping me see that I must be a helicopter parent), but if it's out of province, I will accompany and go and have a wander myself. If it's in this province, she's more than capable of checking out what she wants or likes.

I feel well and truly scolded now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.