British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Unemployment Benefit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/unemployment-benefit-858166/)

Leaf25 May 13th 2015 11:25 pm

Unemployment Benefit

Not sure if this is in the right section, but wanted to check something if anyone can assist.

I'm on my second IEC and my current employer has had to cut hours down to part time, due to the amount of work...or lack of. I've not worked at all this week :( My boss was on about putting me on employment benefit but as I'm on IEC I know I'm basically supposed to have enough funds to live, which I do. But would I be violating anything if I did get put on employment benefit? My boss argues that I've been paying in to the system (through taxes etc from working full time last year), but I'm not so sure.

I'm looking for another job but just wondering if anyone has been in same situation in the past?

pdarwin May 14th 2015 12:04 am

Re: Unemployment Benefit

Perhaps call Service Canada for advice. Sometimes takes a while to get through but they can be surprisingly helpful by phone.

JamesM May 14th 2015 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Leaf25 (Post 11645313)
Not sure if this is in the right section, but wanted to check something if anyone can assist.

I'm on my second IEC and my current employer has had to cut hours down to part time, due to the amount of work...or lack of. I've not worked at all this week :( My boss was on about putting me on employment benefit but as I'm on IEC I know I'm basically supposed to have enough funds to live, which I do. But would I be violating anything if I did get put on employment benefit? My boss argues that I've been paying in to the system (through taxes etc from working full time last year), but I'm not so sure.

I'm looking for another job but just wondering if anyone has been in same situation in the past?

Applying for Employment Insurance benefits - Service Canada

According to this you have to supply evidence of your work permit when you apply.

My only concern is they'll not likely pay you out much if you have been working sporadically. It's not a fixed amount it is based on hours worked and money paid in.

Leaf25 May 14th 2015 12:23 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11645357)
Applying for Employment Insurance benefits - Service Canada

According to this you have to supply evidence of your work permit when you apply.

My only concern is they'll not likely pay you out much if you have been working sporadically. It's not a fixed amount it is based on hours worked and money paid in.

Well I need to go in and get a new SIN. I went the other day but immigration hadn't updated their records that I was back (I landed last Wednesday). I'll check with the people when I go in in the morning. I was working 38 hours a week for a year but since I've come back I've done bugger all so looking for something else in IT.

Leaf25 May 14th 2015 12:23 am

Originally Posted by pdarwin (Post 11645345)
Perhaps call Service Canada for advice. Sometimes takes a while to get through but they can be surprisingly helpful by phone.

Thanks, I gotta go in for a new SIN anyway so will check then.

Aviator May 14th 2015 4:03 am

EI is based on your insurable earnings from the last 13 pay periods. Amount paid not hours worked, plus any bonuses. The new system will go back a bit further where there have been highs and lows.

Not everyone who pays into the system can claim EI, students for example pay EI, but cannot collect EI. Qualifying hours depend on the unemployment rate in your area, in general something like 924 in the past 52 weeks.

Everything you need to know is on here Employment Insurance - Service Canada

To get a definitive answer on you eligibility call Service Canada, although you may find it faster to go in to the office.

scrubbedexpat091 May 14th 2015 6:59 am

EI the system we are forced to pay into with a slew of reasons why you can't claim it....Its annoying paying into something you can never use.

JamesM May 14th 2015 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11645455)
although you may find it faster to go in to the office.

+1