Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

unblockus and smart TV sets.

unblockus and smart TV sets.

Old Jun 13th 2015, 6:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default unblockus and smart TV sets.

We're getting a new TV and we have Unblockus set up on the router.

Now we need a WiFi connectable TV but also one that works with Unblockus. I'm sure I've read something about not all sets being compatible, Sony Bravia is one.

Any recommendations please?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: unblockus and smart TV sets.

Originally Posted by bats
We're getting a new TV and we have Unblockus set up on the router.

Now we need a WiFi connectable TV but also one that works with Unblockus. I'm sure I've read something about not all sets being compatible, Sony Bravia is one.

Any recommendations please?
I have a Samsung Smart Tv which works fine with Unblockus. Sony Bravia TVs are very nice but I don't think Sony's prices are justified.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I have a Samsung Smart Tv which works fine with Unblockus. Sony Bravia TVs are very nice but I don't think Sony's prices are justified.
Our Sony TV was less than the equivalent Samsung model in CostCo. YMMV.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 8:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Do you use it with WiFi or Ethernet cable?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have an LG and use wifi and used to use unblock us and it worked fine with it.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Do you use it with WiFi or Ethernet cable?
Wi-Fi.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

A laptop and an HDMI cable,simple as that!
Old Jun 14th 2015, 12:47 pm
limey party pooper

Wi-Fi.
Thanks!
Old Jun 14th 2015, 12:48 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by scootb
A laptop and an HDMI cable,simple as that!
Been doing that for a couple of years but we want something simpler
Old Jun 14th 2015, 1:08 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a support thread from Unblock-us:
https://support.unblock-us.com/custo...ravia?b_id=530

Short version: Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic TV's and Blu Ray players that are "smart" will require a US netflix account to access US netflix, even if you're using Unblock us. This would, I presume, mean you'd need a US billing address. Not sure about accessing other countries, possibly the same.

It's possible not all TVs of the brands above have the problem mentioned.

Any specific reason why you want / need a smart TV? If it's to access things like netflix, it could be better to get some external player, for example, Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast, etc...

Yes, it's an additional expense, but you could factor that into the budget, it could mean you might get a non smart TV for less than the smart one and spend the difference on the additional box.

I can say for certain that an Apple TV will happily work with Unblock-us and allow you to access whatever regions you want, as that's the setup I've got - paired to a 47" LG non-smart TV.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 6:24 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by sharkus
Here is a support thread from Unblock-us:
https://support.unblock-us.com/custo...ravia?b_id=530

Short version: Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic TV's and Blu Ray players that are "smart" will require a US netflix account to access US netflix, even if you're using Unblock us. This would, I presume, mean you'd need a US billing address. Not sure about accessing other countries, possibly the same.

It's possible not all TVs of the brands above have the problem mentioned.

Any specific reason why you want / need a smart TV? If it's to access things like netflix, it could be better to get some external player, for example, Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast, etc...

Yes, it's an additional expense, but you could factor that into the budget, it could mean you might get a non smart TV for less than the smart one and spend the difference on the additional box.

I can say for certain that an Apple TV will happily work with Unblock-us and allow you to access whatever regions you want, as that's the setup I've got - paired to a 47" LG non-smart TV.
ah, interesting, ta muchly. I had looked on the Unblockus support posts but hadn't read that one.

We were looking at a smart TV as it would been fewer boxes cluttering up the place. Unblockus says that you need a UK Roku account to access BBC, ITV etc, so that rules Roku out. We do have an Asus cube but it's next to useless as an Android box and thats put me off getting an Android but there was a thread on here a while back about how good Android was.

So maybe Apple TV is the answer for us. Is the Apple box wifi??
Old Jun 14th 2015, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that your router is configured for the Smart DNS IP address of unblockus and not VPN.

It appears that many streaming devices (Smart TVs, streaming blu ray players, etc.) use the DNS server IP address (either the IP Address configured in the router or some newer Smart TVs also allow for configuration of the DNS IP address) to determine which applications to download and from where. For instance if the DNS server is configured for a UK IP address, then the iplayer app should download to your streaming device.

New LG Smart TVs also have a configuration that is more than just a entering a DNS IP address.

After doing some internet research, it appears that Sony, Panasonic, and LG Smart TVs and streaming blu ray players will work correctly with a router configured with a foreign Smart DNS server's IP address to access county centric web sites in the foreign country. Their newer TV's menu also can configure the foreign Smart DNS server's IP address.

Samsung TVs and blu ray streaming players also work but the software in the streaming device blocks iplayer from working. The iplayer app may download but according to reports from many web sites, it won't work. I suspect Samsung is worried about being sued by the BBC and has implemented software to make iplayer not work if the TV is not a UK model number.

Click on each of the Smart TVs listed in the following link to determine if there are any problems using the Smart TV with unblockus.

https://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/

The above list appears to infer that all the listed devices will work if the router is configured with a foreign DNS IP address and configuring the streaming device is not necessary. However I'm not sure if that is true.

Some streaming devices are not listed but apparently there are ways to make them work according to the following article.

How to get US Netflix on Chromecast and Roku devices | Expert Reviews

Last edited by Michael; Jun 14th 2015 at 7:31 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 10:03 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Apple box wifi??
Yup, it's both WiFi and Wired (ethernet). More info here: Apple - Apple TV - HD iTunes content and more on your TV.

I've had a couple of AppleTV's, from the original one, and have had the current latest little black box for a few years.

It's great for Netflix, a lot quicker than my Xbox One, plus I dislike the interface for Netflix on my Xbox.

I actually have my AppleTV set up to use US Netflix (with a Canadian account - so I know it works), and my Xbox set to Canadian Netflix. I'm using Unblock-us to manage things, and have an app (theirs I think) to switch regions on my iPhone. Very quick and handy (just connect to my wifi, select the region, fire up netflix and away I go)

One thing though, there were rumours that Apple was going to announce a new Apple TV and software development kit at their conference last week, but nothing came of it. It might well be it's not ready yet, there's rumours about them offering their own streaming service, and they did launch the music version, Apple Music, at the conference, so TV might be close too.
I mention this as new hardware will always be the thing to go for, but at the moment it's an unknown quantity.

If you do go for one and have questions, I'd be happy to offer advice
Old Jun 15th 2015, 8:01 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

We use Chromecast with our televisions. There's an extra workaround in your router that you have to do to get it to work, but once that's set up it works a treat.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:18 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We have an LG and use wifi and used to use unblock us and it worked fine with it.
Same here. All three TVs ( 2 panasonics and the LG ) plus all three Apple Tvs work fine with unblockus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.