Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Ukraine flight PS752 crash

Ukraine flight PS752 crash

Old Jan 12th 2020, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ukraine flight PS752 crash

Originally Posted by dave_j
I think that you're in danger of seeing the event in isolation and blaming, as always, the man charged with actually doing the job. The real culprits, those who play politics, are never questioned, never put in this position. They simply give orders, they never get their clean hands dirty.
I suspect you'd agree that the 'button pusher' didn't wake up that morning with the idea of downing a civilian aircraft but found himself in a position where decisions needed to be made. Either through inadequate training, system failure, fright or simple human error, he made a decision that downed an aircraft.
It's not difficult to compare this action with the action the man on the Vincennes took and that comparison is one that bares closer examination. Each 'button pusher' was backed by a system that failed and the result and the reasoning behind the decision making that led to it are similar although the outcomes are proving to be wildly different. The US has never apologised for the Vincennes incident although you can argue their system failure was worse.
Yes, you can blame the man who pulls the trigger because that simplistically draws a line under the event, but the more difficult questions, those that could prevent future events such as these, are never asked because the answers highlight who's really responsible.

I buy a hammer, I buy a nail, I pick up the hammer, I pick up the nail, I swing the hammer, I close my eyes, I hit my thumb.
Which action led to my shouting 'Ow'?
None. There is a sequence of actions from the decision to purchase of the hammer and nail to the lack of expertise in knowing how to use it that could have prevented it. Simply choosing the last act is much too simplistic.
Fair enough. It wasn't Trump though. And that was the point i was trying to make, without posting paragraphs and paragraphs about the chain of command or the inadequacies of the military's training in Iran.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
From the LA Times article - link posted by Jsmth321 - https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...792-story.html

I think that at point in the transit the aircraft would have to communicate with / monitor multiple FIR frequencies and would probably have been pretty busy at that time. Did Vincennes call on 121.5? Can't remember.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 12:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If you shoot a bear in the ass and it gets mad and bites a kid's head off, who is at fault - the bear or the guy that provoked it?
Old Jan 12th 2020, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If you shoot a bear in the ass and it gets mad and bites a kid's head off, who is at fault - the bear or the guy that provoked it?
That doesn't work, as Iran has stated it was an accident. Using your example, rather than the bear biting the kid's head off, a more accurate analogy would be to say that, after shooting the bear dead, the bear fell, dislodged a rock that came down a hill that hit a boulder that continued down the hill until it destroyed the bear's den, killing its offspring. The shooter started the chain of events but the deaths were not reasonably foreseeable. Trump did not take the civilian airliner to the "fight" with Iran.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 12th 2020 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 2:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Fair enough. It wasn't Trump though. And that was the point i was trying to make, without posting paragraphs and paragraphs about the chain of command or the inadequacies of the military's training in Iran.
I think the causation chain is relevant. If Trump hadn't ordered the killing of Soleimani, that civilian aircraft wouldn't have been shot down by the IRGC.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I think the causation chain is relevant. If Trump hadn't ordered the killing of Soleimani, that civilian aircraft wouldn't have been shot down by the IRGC.
If Iran hadn't attacked the US interests in the region, the US wouldn't have responded, and so on.

However, to blame the shooting down of a civilian airliner by "accident" by Iran on the US is not that credible, IMO. I accept that others will disagree, usually, upon their attitude towards Trump.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 3:17 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Causation chains become apparent after the fact, obviously. As much as I dislike Trump and disapprove of him holding his current position, I don't feel inclined to finger him - or his advisors - for this tragedy.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I blame Soleimani's mother, if she had not given birth to him none of this would have happened.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I blame Soleimani's mother, if she had not given birth to him none of this would have happened.
I blame the Wright brothers. If they had not invented the plane this would not have happened.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 3:59 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
"As the Vincennes exchanged fire with Iranian speedboats last July 3, Iran Air Flight 655 appeared on the U.S. warship’s high-tech radar system. After the plane failed to respond to warnings on civilian and military channels, Rogers gave the order to fire."
Yes, you're quite correct. My memory isn't what it was so I looked into it and the confusion arising supports the case that it's system failures that lead to these events.
Apparently the Vincennes did try to communicate on civilian frequencies but the thinking is that the A300 pilots concluded that the Vincennes was addressing a different aircraft. The confusion arose because the Vincennes addressed an unidentified aircraft by quoting it's ground speed whereas the aircraft referenced it's airspeed. A difference of 50 mph led the pilots to conclude that the Vincennes wasn't talking to them but an Orion that they probably knew was thereabouts..

I think that it's worth commenting that in the years since the Vincennes incident I'm not aware of the US downing another airliner so they learned something from it. We can only hope that those designing 'foolproof' systems take these events as lessons as how not to do it.

Last edited by dave_j; Jan 12th 2020 at 4:08 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 4:35 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sure we will all get this statement soon

We all need to have conversations about this incident and review all the facts, have deep discussions so we can all learn from this mistake.

one persons interpretation of a mistake can be interpreted differently by another
Old Jan 12th 2020, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Not much sign of protests against Trump or the USA for the shooting down of the airliner:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...cklash-ukraine

Iranians and Iraqis I've spoken to in the last couple of days certainly didn't like Trump but put the blame entirely on the Iranian government.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 5:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I’m sure we will all get this statement soon

We all need to have conversations about this incident and review all the facts, have deep discussions so we can all learn from this mistake.

one persons interpretation of a mistake can be interpreted differently by another
If Trump wasn't being impeached would he have killed General Soleimani? It shouldn't be long until the latest book by White House Insider comes out and tells who told him to do it and who tried to stop him.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 5:02 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
That doesn't work, as Iran has stated it was an accident. Using your example, rather than the bear biting the kid's head off, a more accurate analogy would be to say that, after shooting the bear dead, the bear fell, dislodged a rock that came down a hill that hit a boulder that continued down the hill until it destroyed the bear's den, killing its offspring. The shooter started the chain of events but the deaths were not reasonably foreseeable. Trump did not take the civilian airliner to the "fight" with Iran.
That's a fair enough analogy but it's also along the lines of the point I was trying to make. In this case though, the shooter lauded his decision to shoot the bear, despite knowing that people had advised that unpleasant consequences (e.g. your rock fall) were extremely likely.

But the salient question is: what was the real motivation for Trump to order the assassination of Soleimani at that particular point in time, compared to the 20 years he's been on the US radar as a troublemaker? I doubt very much that I am in a minority when I posit that the timing of this assassination and Trump's impeachment is not a coincidence - Trump is a master at deflection, diversion and water-muddying. You will, of course, note that he ensured that the press announcement included the words "on the direction of the President"...

Old Jan 12th 2020, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
That's a fair enough analogy but it's also along the lines of the point I was trying to make. In this case though, the shooter lauded his decision to shoot the bear, despite knowing that people had advised that unpleasant consequences (e.g. your rock fall) were extremely likely.

But the salient question is: what was the real motivation for Trump to order the assassination of Soleimani at that particular point in time, compared to the 20 years he's been on the US radar as a troublemaker? I doubt very much that I am in a minority when I posit that the timing of this assassination and Trump's impeachment is not a coincidence - Trump is a master at deflection, diversion and water-muddying. You will, of course, note that he ensured that the press announcement included the words "on the direction of the President"...
According to the Washington Post US action should come as no surprise:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-he-drew-iran/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.