Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Ukraine flight PS752 crash

Ukraine flight PS752 crash

Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ukraine flight PS752 crash

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You're not stupid, it was a long time ago. Google Iran flight 655.

Thanks, SOS. I looked it up and now I remember what happened back in 1988.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Try googling "Iran Air Flight 655" or "USS Vincennes".
It was an incident where the USS Vincennes, while in Iranian waters, shot down a civilian airliner in 1988, wierdly similar to the current event. The Vincennes was a state of the art US Aegis warship. It's a classic examination of system failure, well worth a detailed read.

Similar but with the exception that the US was not the one to shot the recent plane down. So why the continued inference of the US in this tragic incidence.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Thanks, SOS. I looked it up and now I remember what happened back in 1988.
You're a better person than I am, I can't remember what happened yesterday
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You said you'd transfer $0.5m to me.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So I did! Give me all your bank details, including password, and I'll deposit the money really, really soon
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So I did! Give me all your bank details, including password, and I'll deposit the money really, really soon
Don't you have email transfers down there?
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:29 pm
Concierge

Don't you have email transfers down there?
No they don't work down here, all the writing is upside down. Has to be a bank transfer.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:32 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Similar but with the exception that the US was not the one to shot the recent plane down. So why the continued inference of the US in this tragic incidence.
I referenced it simply as an example of 'system failure' in response to the charge that it was the man who pushed the button who was solely to blame.
In each event, the 'system' mistakenly identified an approaching civilian aircraft as a threat. In the case of the Vincennes there were multiple failures within a state of the art system, eg thinking the aircraft to be an Iranian fighter they tried to communicate on military frequencies that the aircraft didn't receive and although the aircraft was gaining altitude the 'system' mistakenly identified it as descending and approaching. It's well documented.
In the recent case, the reasoning behind mis-identification isn't yet public, but I suspect similar confusion.
In either case blaming the poor guy who pulled the trigger and ignoring the system, as a whole, of which he is simply the last link in the chain doesn't prevent it happening again.

Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:33 pm
Oscar nominated

No they don't work down here, all the writing is upside down. Has to be a bank transfer.
Write me a cheque backwards and I'll do that reverse screen thing on the tablet someone said something about to deposit it.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:36 pm
Concierge

Write me a cheque backwards and I'll do that reverse screen thing on the tablet someone said something about to deposit it.
We don't use cheques here any more. And that, at least, is true
Old Jan 11th 2020, 6:47 pm
Oscar nominated

We don't use cheques here any more. And that, at least, is true
I'll send you one of mine then...oh, wait a minute...
Old Jan 11th 2020, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I only remember because it was a big deal in San Diego, was on the news non-stop when it happened, I think I was 9 or 10 when it happened. 9 months after the incident the wife of the Captain of the ship involved was driving the family mini van when a pipe bomb went off, she survived and without injury if I recall correctly, don't think the FBI ever figured out who did it.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...792-story.html
Old Jan 11th 2020, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I only remember because it was a big deal in San Diego, was on the news non-stop when it happened, I think I was 9 or 10 when it happened. 9 months after the incident the wife of the Captain of the ship involved was driving the family mini van when a pipe bomb went off, she survived and without injury if I recall correctly, don't think the FBI ever figured out who did it.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...792-story.html
And In 1990, Captain Rogers was awarded the Legion of Merit decoration "for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service as commanding officer ... from April 1987 to May 1989." The award was given for his service as the Commanding Officer of Vincennes, and the citation made no mention of the downing of Iran Air 655.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 8:29 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
... In the case of the Vincennes there were multiple failures within a state of the art system, eg thinking the aircraft to be an Iranian fighter they tried to communicate on military frequencies that the aircraft didn't receive and although the aircraft was gaining altitude the 'system' mistakenly identified it as descending and approaching. It's well documented.
From the LA Times article - link posted by Jsmth321 - https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...792-story.html

"As the Vincennes exchanged fire with Iranian speedboats last July 3, Iran Air Flight 655 appeared on the U.S. warship’s high-tech radar system. After the plane failed to respond to warnings on civilian and military channels, Rogers gave the order to fire."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.