Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Uk state pension in Canada

Uk state pension in Canada

Old Dec 26th 2018, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uk state pension in Canada

Hi all, here is my question, hubby and I have bought back some years of our state pension for UK, we have logged in to get the forecast for each of us.

My question is this, will this amount that is quoted on the website be what we get paid?

Reason I ask is that my sister in law who is still in the Uk said her and her hubby because they are married will end up getting an extra £30 , NOT the full £155 per week each, so in other words, one amount of £185 simply because they are married. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 3:57 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk state pension in Canada

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi all, here is my question, hubby and I have bought back some years of our state pension for UK, we have logged in to get the forecast for each of us.

My question is this, will this amount that is quoted on the website be what we get paid?

Reason I ask is that my sister in law who is still in the Uk said her and her hubby because they are married will end up getting an extra £30 , NOT the full £155 per week each, so in other words, one amount of £185 simply because they are married. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Shelley - no, that's not correct. Your forecast should be correct, unless there are any recent payments that haven't been credited to your NI record/s.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I thought I was right but my sister in law is a bit of a know it all and you can not argue with her, thanks I appreciate it!
Old Dec 27th 2018, 3:26 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I thought I was right but my sister in law is a bit of a know it all and you can not argue with her, thanks I appreciate it!
There's a know it all in every family, and invariably they do not know it all
Old Dec 27th 2018, 1:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say the amount quoted is based on current levels of pension. They'll be uprated by the time you get there.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
There's a know it all in every family, and invariably they do not know it all
Oh yes that's for sure!!
She is also an "IT expert" but has to wait until she is in a Facebook zone (whatever that is!!) to get wifi on her phone lol!!
Old Dec 27th 2018, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just to say the amount quoted is based on current levels of pension. They'll be uprated by the time you get there.
Yes that's also good to know and frozen from that time bearing in mind we live in Canada! Unless of course the rules change for inflation by 2025!! LOL
Old Dec 27th 2018, 6:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's also good to know and frozen from that time bearing in mind we live in Canada! Unless of course the rules change for inflation by 2025!! LOL
The rules may change in other ways.
I came to Canada in 2004. At that time you needed 40 years of conts (I had 32 and was on for 80% of the full amount)
Then it dropped to 30 years and I was on for the full amount.
Then it went to 35. Not as good as the full amount but 32/35 is better than the original 32/40.
Along with having to wait until I reach 66 instead of 65, that makes three changes to the system in 14 years. But the last change was actually about 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe there's another imminent.