Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK Quarantine Lifted?

UK Quarantine Lifted?

Old Jun 28th 2020, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Quarantine Lifted?

Good news for anyone visiting Blighty!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8464769/Families-book-summer-getaways-air-bridges-open-travel-operators-slash-prices-70.html
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Quarantine Lifted

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...prices-70.html
Not exactly - it may be lifted between specific countries only - the so-called "Travel Corridors" to enable people to take vacations.

I wouldn't believe every thing you read on the Daily Fail
Better to stick with Official announcements.

The partial dismantling of Priti Patel's quarantine scheme means UK holidaymakers will be able to return home without having to self-isolate for 14 days. The Foreign Office will also lift its advice against 'all but essential travel' to low or medium-risk destinations, making it possible to obtain travel insurance.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 29th 2020 at 1:23 am.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not exactly - it may be lifted between specific countries only - the so-called "Travel Corridors" to enable people to take vacations.

I wouldn't believe every thing you read on the Daily Fail
Better to stick with Official announcements.

The partial dismantling of Priti Patel's quarantine scheme means UK holidaymakers will be able to return home without having to self-isolate for 14 days. The Foreign Office will also lift its advice against 'all but essential travel' to low or medium-risk destinations, making it possible to obtain travel insurance.
The changes will also let foreign tourists visit the UK, giving a boost to the beleaguered hospitality sector.”
Old Jun 29th 2020, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
The changes will also let foreign tourists visit the UK, giving a boost to the beleaguered hospitality sector.”
I also read the item in the MailOnLine and I took that to mean "foreign tourists" from the European countries. Not foreign tourists in general.

They've basically set up a "bubble" to allow the Brits to go to the sun and beaches of the Mediterranean and go wild.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be the bearer of good news 😅
Old Jun 29th 2020, 10:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I also read the item in the MailOnLine and I took that to mean "foreign tourists" from the European countries..
Surely the Mail doesn't approve of that sort of thing; haven't they just run a campaign dedicated to cutting England off from the rest of the world?.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: UK Quarantine Lifted?

To be fair it is not much use if Canada doesn't reciprocate and cancel quarantine for UK arrivals. Hopefully premier Trudeau might remember that a trade deal beckons while musing over that one!
Old Jun 29th 2020, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Surely the Mail doesn't approve of that sort of thing; haven't they just run a campaign dedicated to cutting England off from the rest of the world?.
I think they wanted us to keep Wales attached and maybe occupy a 3 mile strip of the Costa Del Sol under English rule.

To be fair it is not much use if Canada doesn't reciprocate and cancel quarantine for UK arrivals. Hopefully premier Trudeau might remember that a trade deal beckons while musing over that one!
It's of use to Canadians(or those residing in Canada) as if they are home workers they can effectively come over here, but would be stuck in their house for 14 days upon going back. The problem with any sort of relaxation of rules for Canada is likely riskier than that for the UK. typically we are just a stopping point on a European trip, or maybe somewhere they come to visit family, likewise i think whilst we aren't at herd immunity levels, those very susceptible to COVID are no longer with us.

Compare that to a number of brits visiting Canada, who will conduct 1000+ mile plus road trips across plenty of communities, many of whom won't have had COVID enter their community, not to mention opening up the Canadian border won't open up provincial limitations, and you will get folk who completely misunderstand that whilst you can land in Calgary and Alberta may not have a 14 day quarantine, you can't go to Golden, Fernie, etc. without quarantining. Until Canada has no internal travel restrictions, opening up to tourism will either not happen or be super limited.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

would mean I can attend my brothers wedding in October. Can work from home in Canada but can’t attend wedding from parents house in uk.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't know how feasible it would be but if there was someway people could get say a "fitness to travel certificate" then maybe they could travel without quarantine. I live in a rural area in the UK and know of no one who has had coronavirus or even know anyone who knows anyone who has. In the UK like most places seems that the virus is concentrated in urban areas so it's mad that we have the same restrictions as folks in inner cities. Same applies to Canada, look at the handfull of cases in the Prarie provinces yet they have the same restrictions as BC, Ontatio and Quebec.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't know how feasible it would be but if there was someway people could get say a "fitness to travel certificate" then maybe they could travel without quarantine. I live in a rural area in the UK and know of no one who has had coronavirus or even know anyone who knows anyone who has. In the UK like most places seems that the virus is concentrated in urban areas so it's mad that we have the same restrictions as folks in inner cities. Same applies to Canada, look at the handfull of cases in the Prarie provinces yet they have the same restrictions as BC, Ontatio and Quebec.
but presumably you would have to transition through a major airport like the rest of us unwashed masses. A certificate would in all tenses be useless the moment your left your small town.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 8:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Look what is happening just a few weeks after Florida "opened up". If travel is allowed starting in a couple of weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if travel was prohibited again a few weeks later.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair .................

Trudeau may go against all current advice from his Health minister and officials and declare the borders open

BUT the Premiers of the provinces also have a lot of power, and can unilaterally close the borders between their provinces and even to the US. The Premiers also have control over quarantine within their province ......... even for Canadians coming from another province, and I for one, am extremely glad that they have these powers.

Seeing the situation in the US, as Pulaski stated, that border will remain closed for weeks more to come, and TBH it does not appear that Britain is doing much better.

I for one do not want you or any other person coming from abroad and possibly/probably bringing more virus into this country.

I have not isolated for over 3 months only to be caught out by some holiday maker who has not quarantined for 14 days, just when I'm thinking it might be safe to go out for dinner, or to get my hair cut, or my eyes or ears tested.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...prices-70.html
This only applies for returning to the UK. The UK also has higher numbers, and that's the issue.

Apparently one can travel now from Canada to the UK without the quarantine obligation, however the quarantine obligation applies for travels from the UK to Canada. ( Which is understandable given the UK figures )

For those Canadians currently residing in Germany FRA Airport has started offering tests before departure., If they are accepted in Canada, I don't know.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a rural area in the UK and know of no one who has had coronavirus or even know anyone who knows anyone who has. In the UK like most places seems that the virus is concentrated in urban areas
You're very lucky if you don't know anybody that's had it. I live in a tiny rural Berkshire village and we've got several cases. Two friends in their 40's have died of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.