British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   UK General Election (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/uk-general-election-928947/)

jimf Nov 29th 2019 7:01 pm

Re: UK General Election

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12771487)
It's an OpEd. Lets off some steam I suppose. Probably no worse than accounts of Jezza or Red John in the Telegraph.

It goes out under the authority of the Guardian brand though. It just reeks of hatred. DM is obviously right wing and articles will point out flaws and mock the left but not displaying personal hatred from the author like this.

Shard Nov 29th 2019 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12771492)

It goes out under the authority of the Guardian brand though. It just reeks of hatred. DM is obviously right wing and articles will point out flaws and mock the left but not displaying personal hatred from the author like this.

Ok. Will take your word for it as I only skimmed the piece. Even some die hard Guardian readers are critical of it these days. Gove himself has always been a bit of a divisive figure. Funnily enough, I used to like him.

BristolUK Nov 29th 2019 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12771483)
Criticising the way he claps?

That reminds me of the daily express a few decades ago describing Arthur Scargill and others as clapping "Soviet style" :hysterical:

jimf Nov 29th 2019 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12771522)
That reminds me of the daily express a few decades ago describing Arthur Scargill and others as clapping "Soviet style" :hysterical:

Oh yes, how hysterical to reminisce at that.

Not really a valid comparison though

Possibly you have seen that viral video of him clapping weirdly. The hands flailing about, rapidly cycling through different styles of clapping, each more bizarrely incorrect than the last. The wet lips pursing and unpursing in mysterious supplication. He seems just terribly, irreducibly wrong in himself. If I had to describe him visually, I would go for something like “ghost of identical twin killed and eaten in utero by Rick Moranis”. Which is to say that in trying to encapsulate the Goveness of Gove, I find myself instinctively reaching for a register of the uncanny, the supernatural.

BristolUK Nov 29th 2019 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12771527)
Oh yes, how hysterical to reminisce at that.

Not really a valid comparison though

I wasn't comparing. I was reminded of an old newspaper report about someone clapping by a new newspaper report of someone clapping.

My use of laughter in referencing the description of "clapping soviet style" was to ridicule such a description.

CanadaJimmy Dec 12th 2019 5:20 pm

Today's the day. The choice between pro-business or pro-state.

Thank god we have more moderate politics in Canada is all I can say. As a centrist liberal I feel utterly alienated when I try to talk to other british people about politics.

macadian Dec 12th 2019 10:38 pm

Blyth Valley goes blue.......wow!
if that trend continues, will be worse than the reign of Michael. Foot.....

jimf Dec 12th 2019 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 12777999)
Blyth Valley goes blue.......wow!
if that trend continues, will be worse than the reign of Michael. Foot.....

Blyth and Cramlington voting conservative!

Who is Ian Levy? New Conservative Blyth Valley MP
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...ative-17411637

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 13th 2019 3:19 am

A very clear result, did not see that coming.

Former Lancastrian Dec 13th 2019 4:32 am

I wonder if the Daily Mirror will print an edition today or are they all drowning in their lefty tears and still trying to figure out how Comrade Jeremy lost an election.

scot47 Dec 13th 2019 4:33 am

Clear too that Scotland is now on the road to Independence.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 13th 2019 4:45 am

Well if you treat your traditional voter base with derision, call them names, ignore their wishes complain about the inevitable seems a bit weak.

On the plus side if you want to be leader of the LD an opportunity has arisen.

macadian Dec 13th 2019 11:45 am

He can now dig out his little blue 'Lenin' hat that he stopped wearing in case it made him look like a commie.....
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e6e62014e1.jpg

dave_j Dec 13th 2019 3:31 pm

So.. the final outcome of our little poll was...
Conservative 10
Labour 12
Lib Dem 15
SNP 3
Not representative were we? But then you could argue that we're not typical almost by definition.

DaveLovesDee Dec 13th 2019 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12778364)
So.. the final outcome of our little poll was...
Conservative 10
Labour 12
Lib Dem 15
SNP 3
Not representative were we? But then you could argue that we're not typical almost by definition.

I'd suggest many of those here were representative of those voters disenfranchised because they'd lived abroad longer than 15 years, despite previous Tory promises to remove the 15-yr rule.

But here we are, a Tory majority in an unofficial Brexit referendum dressed up as an official election, because Brexit was the major issue of the election. Boris now has his majority to do whatever he chooses to, so if we don't leave the EU on January 31st, it's down to no-one but the Tories. He won't be able to blame Labour or anyone else.