British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   UK General Election (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/uk-general-election-928947/)

Jingsamichty Oct 30th 2019 8:04 am

UK General Election

Looks like we're going to have the third General Election in 5 years. Makes a mockery of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.

So, if you had a vote in your old constituency in the UK (maybe you still do), who would you vote for in this upcoming election, and why?

dbd33 Oct 30th 2019 11:37 am

Re: UK General Election

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12756175)
Looks like we're going to have the third General Election in 5 years. Makes a mockery of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.

So, if you had a vote in your old constituency in the UK (maybe you still do), who would you vote for in this upcoming election, and why?

Lib Dem. Remainers.

Oakvillian Oct 30th 2019 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12756281)
Lib Dem. Remainers.

ditto

mikelincs Oct 30th 2019 3:09 pm

Labour, they will give the electorate a chance to decide with a new binding referendum.

jimf Oct 30th 2019 3:21 pm

I have the opportunity to vote in a safe conservative seat in north east England. I won’t be voting conservative.

I’d consider a remain party if they just eased up on the EU worship. I’d probably consider the EU about 70% ok and I’d like to see a Corbyn-Trump handshake.

dave_j Oct 30th 2019 3:29 pm

So... at the moment we agree that this election is all about Brexit.
If I were to vote I'd vote conservative. Already we see the Remain fear tactics being thrust into the fray.
So I'd argue to start the leaving process to get ready for when the transition period's over.
We'll see what happens on the 12th though.. to be followed by Friday the thirteenth, it'll be Black Friday for some...

christmasoompa Oct 30th 2019 3:31 pm

I'll be voting Lib Dem. Hoping that enough people in my area (which was very much Remain) do the same and get rid of the absolute ejeet Tory MP we've had forever, fingers crossed his super safe seat isn't safe any longer.

scrubbedexpat142 Oct 30th 2019 3:32 pm

On my display, only the Liberal Democrats are in italics - subliminal message? :lol:

christmasoompa Oct 30th 2019 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12756493)
On my display, only the Liberal Democrats are in italics - subliminal message? :lol:

Your choice is in italics.

scrubbedexpat142 Oct 30th 2019 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12756497)
Your choice is in italics.

Ah, didn't know that! Pity really, I was quite amused!

BristolUK Oct 30th 2019 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12756490)
...Black Friday for some...

Paul_Shepherd Oct 30th 2019 5:09 pm

As I live in Canada now, and have no plans to the return to the UK for the foreseeable future, I don't think its fair, so I won't be voting, although one could argue that it would be justified if I did, with me still having financial interests over there.

If I was living in the UK I would vote, and I would vote conservative, hopefully to break the deadlock in Parliament, get a deal through, get Brexit done, so everyone in the the country can move on with their lives, although I feel there are better alternatives than Johnson as Prime Minister, there are a lot worse too.

Jingsamichty Oct 30th 2019 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12756491)
I'll be voting Lib Dem. Hoping that enough people in my area (which was very much Remain) do the same and get rid of the absolute ejeet Tory MP we've had forever, fingers crossed his super safe seat isn't safe any longer.

Me too, though it's probably a wasted vote... my MP is the loathsome Liz Truss and she has a 20,000 majority.

dbd33 Oct 30th 2019 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12756543)
If I was living in the UK I would vote, and I would vote conservative, hopefully to break the deadlock in Parliament, get a deal through, get Brexit done, so everyone in the the country can move on with their lives

All the existing treaties and arrangements with the EU would then have to be renegotiated while a concurrent set of negotiations with each US State and the US Federal government, under whoever is in power by then, inches along. That doesn't seem a lot like moving on. That seems like years of haggling with the best possible outcome being the same deal as exists now. For people who are fed up with all this nonsense, the sensible answer is not to have more of this nonsense.

Shard Oct 30th 2019 8:18 pm

Very encouraging to see many LD voters on here :thumbup:

macadian Oct 30th 2019 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12756640)
Very encouraging to see many LD voters on here :thumbup:

But hardly surprising.....

Shard Oct 30th 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 12756644)
But hardly surprising.....

Well, the UK networks are currently suggesting the live debates will exclude LD, so nothing can be taken for granted.

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 30th 2019 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12756645)
Well, the UK networks are currently suggesting the live debates will exclude LD, so nothing can be taken for granted.

Missed that, do you have any pointers please?

BEVS Oct 30th 2019 9:20 pm

Undecided.
Labour v LibDem
in a Tory stronghold.

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 30th 2019 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12756676)
Undecided.
Labour v LibDem
in a Tory stronghold.

But this would be hypothetical, yes? As in, you've been 'AWOL' for more than fifteen years?

BEVS Oct 30th 2019 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12756682)
But this would be hypothetical, yes? As in, you've been 'AWOL' for more than fifteen years?

Correct. I should have included that in my post. I will have to hug my knees and bite my nails as the UK goes to the polls.
It is why I did not choose one of the two and then cast a vote on the poll .

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 30th 2019 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12756683)
Correct. I should have included that in my post. I will have to hug my knees and bite my nails as the UK goes to the polls.
It is why I did not choose one of the two and then cast a vote on the poll .

Emboldened bit: you're cool, Mr Jings used the conditional tense in post #1 ;)

That said, had I had have had a vote, I would have to say 'other' in response to this poll. Even if I had had to stump up the subscription fee (losing it) and sign-on as an independent 'potential aligner'.

Expat from a Tory stronghold.

Who will likely be biting his knees and hugging his nails.

CanadaJimmy Oct 30th 2019 9:55 pm

My parents actually became members of the Lib Dems because of their stance against Brexit. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Shard Oct 30th 2019 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12756659)
Missed that, do you have any pointers please?

Guardian & BBC have stories on it.

Pizzawheel Oct 30th 2019 10:57 pm

Should have read the question, as I can't vote SNP in my "home" constituency. But, I can't vote anyhow, so no matter.

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 30th 2019 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12756720)
Guardian & BBC have stories on it.

Thanks for that, found it on the Guardian site,

Shard Oct 30th 2019 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12756736)
Thanks for that, found it on the Guardian site,

It's outrageous if they don't let Jo join. She's such a breath of fresh air and the Dems have a bold Brexit policy.

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 30th 2019 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12756739)
It's outrageous if they don't let Jo join. She's such a breath of fresh air and the Dems have a bold Brexit policy.

Agreed 100%.

BristolUK Oct 30th 2019 11:41 pm

Nobody up for a tactical Brexit vote to damage the tory vote then? :sneaky:

Shard Oct 30th 2019 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12756751)

That will be the big question come voting day.

dave_j Oct 31st 2019 1:01 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12756751)

Sounds good on paper but the obvious problem with tactical voting is that only one side wins in any constituency.
So each proto-candidate not up for election would have to actively promote somebody else from another party.. and we're talking about politicians here who's raison d'etre is to look out for number one.
Such a policy would need to be imposed from above and nobody likes to be told what to do to their disadvantage.
Likely it'll all end in tears....

BristolUK Oct 31st 2019 1:18 am

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12756768)
Sounds good on paper but the obvious problem with tactical voting is that only one side wins in any constituency.
So each proto-candidate not up for election would have to actively promote somebody else from another party.. and we're talking about politicians here who's raison d'etre is to look out for number one.
Such a policy would need to be imposed from above and nobody likes to be told what to do to their disadvantage.
Likely it'll all end in tears....

Eh? It's fairly standard practice in some seats and organised from outside politician circles. Especially for something like this.

dave_j Oct 31st 2019 4:33 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12756774)
Eh? It's fairly standard practice in some seats and organised from outside politician circles. Especially for something like this.

Tears? They're welling up already...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...election-study

dbd33 Oct 31st 2019 11:50 am

Were I campaigning, I would use this image in my posters. I'm undecided on a caption. Some form of ridicule, of course.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...4836fe5c4b.jpg

Atlantic Xpat Oct 31st 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12756999)
Were I campaigning, I would use this image in my posters. I'm undecided on a caption. Some form of ridicule, of course.

Classic Dom...

Shard Oct 31st 2019 12:44 pm

Global Britain is back !

scrubbedexpat142 Oct 31st 2019 1:10 pm

Anybody seen my bus?

macadian Oct 31st 2019 1:37 pm

Vote labour for a new beginning.......I think.

dave_j Oct 31st 2019 3:01 pm

What election?

jimf Oct 31st 2019 4:28 pm

Nice one that Jo, voting for £9k tuition fees, in England.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-11964669