View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Conservative
19.61%
Labour
23.53%
Liberal Democrats
29.41%
Scottish National Party
5.88%
Independent Group for Change
0%
Plaid Cymru
0%
Green Party
7.84%
Democratic Unionist Party
0%
Sinn Fein
0%
Brexit Party
3.92%
Other
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

UK General Election

Old Nov 8th 2019, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK General Election

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
On the BBC News this evening, there is a focus on the severe flooding in the Doncaster area due to torrential rain over a swathe of the UK over the last 24 hours.

Quote from a resident "I am sure that the local authority could have done more to prevent this".

So, there's your average voter.
Hmmm.....but to be fair we don't know what context that was used in.....maybe she meant flood defence barriers etc? just playing devils advocate.....
Old Nov 8th 2019, 4:41 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Hmmm.....but to be fair we don't know what context that was used in.....maybe she meant flood defence barriers etc? just playing devils advocate.....
Understand your point, and continuing with the devil's advocate theme (she was a he, by the way)

I'm hoping that the interviewee was referring to flood defences rather than the amount of rain.

On this assumption (I know, dodgy ground, but...) said interviewee blamed the local authority, not the government.

Who's in the barrel here, local authority or Westminster aka (ahem) Central Services.

Did said interviewee vote for a local MP or whomever they wished to see featured regularly on BBC News channel?

Edit: Knew I'd missed something...

Would it have mattered a jot in terms of flood defences anyway? Is the interviewee/voter looking for "the moon on a stick"?

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Nov 8th 2019 at 4:46 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
And where was the money to pay for it to come from?

If the local authority are the ones paying for those extra defences, where do they find the money? Increased rents and taxes, or cutting already bare public services? If not them, who?
Old Nov 8th 2019, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Understand your point, and continuing with the devil's advocate theme (she was a he, by the way)

I'm hoping that the interviewee was referring to flood defences rather than the amount of rain.

On this assumption (I know, dodgy ground, but...) said interviewee blamed the local authority, not the government.

Who's in the barrel here, local authority or Westminster aka (ahem) Central Services.

Did said interviewee vote for a local MP or whomever they wished to see featured regularly on BBC News channel?

Edit: Knew I'd missed something...

Would it have mattered a jot in terms of flood defences anyway? Is the interviewee/voter looking for "the moon on a stick"?
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee

If the local authority are the ones paying for those extra defences, where do they find the money? Increased rents and taxes, or cutting already bare public services? If not them, who?
Yes....I agree with you both... he was probably just one of those whining people that always has or wants something to complain about....it wouldn't matter who the MP was or who was in government..... not a low intelligence voter, just a deluded whining machine that wants the moon on a stick... I like that saying.... I think I will use that one.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 5:41 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine you're an engineer. Man comes along and says 'Design me some flood defenses'.
Engineer says, 'Tell me how much rain's going to fall?'
Man, who's an ignorant politician, says 'Search me, how would I know, how much's it going to cost?'
Engineer says 'The more rain, the more it'll cost, tell me how much rain's going to fall'
Man says 'Bugger, don't have much money, make it look good but cheap'
Engineer shrugs and makes it cheap.
Heavens open and flood defenses fail.
Man says 'Your fault! What went wrong?'
Engineer shrugs and explains no cash, no spec is what went wrong.
Man says not my fault, blames engineer and elected MP.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
"Wealthy people" I guess would be most people's answer. Everyone wants services, so long as they don't have to pay for them.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

As for those seemingly in favour of P R...Italy and Israel have not exactly thrived on it.....
Old Nov 8th 2019, 10:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The house I lived in in Lincolnshire is in an area deemed to be in severe danger of being flooded now. When I lived there we had one flood, no water ingress as such but it did come up through the floor, doors were sandbagged. There was a public meeting about 4 months later to discuss the flooding and one person there, who had been around the previous time it flooded had a copy of that flood report and the recommendations as to what to do. NONE OF IT HAD BEEN IMPLEMENTED. In fact it had been made worse because the local council was refusing to pay farmers to have their fields used as fllod areas whhere they would get flooded and stop hpusing being effected. the local environmental people had no answer and were somewhat peeved he was there and knew the history. They said it was a once in 50 years event, the previous on had been 15 years earlier, now it looks like it's happening around 19 years after that one. I bet NOTHING has been done. Can't say it was because of new building on a flood plain as my house was over 100 years old.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 12:47 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
NONE OF IT HAD BEEN IMPLEMENTED.
Of course nothing had been done, it was a rare event. Those in charge of the budget will have known that they'd have moved on to greater things when it happened again leaving their uselessness behind them.
The only way it'll improve is where a council official is personally affected by the event.
Close to where I lived last in the UK was a busy side road. A councilor lived in this road. Was I surprised when it was blocked to prevent through use? Not at all.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I couldn't disagree more. The past couple of years have been an absolute triumph for parliamentary democracy... in other words, "taking back control". It proves that 650 MPs cannot simply be whipped into accepting whatever the government wishes. This is because the MPs are voting for the best interests of ALL their constituents. Not just the ones who voted for them. Sometimes even against the ones who voted for them, but always with a view to what is in all of their best interests.

If you want to live in a country where the Party or Government wishes are absolute and sacrosanct, I suggest you try North Korea...
The vast majority of MPs have simply voted according to party orders whether conservative, labour SNP, DUP,liberal, green whatever. A small number of conservative MPs and smaller number of labour MPs have voted against party orders. MPs do have their careers to consider so voting according to party orders is understandable.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is this a good list of such people?

1. Ken Clarke

2 Sir Oliver Letwin

3 Justine Greening

4 Rory Stewart

5 Amber Rudd

6 Guto Bebb

7 Nicky Morgan

8 Claire Perry

9 Sir Nicholas Soames

10 Alistair Burt

11 Richard Harrington

12 Richard Benyon

13 Sir David Lidington

14 Sir Patrick McLoughlin

15 Dame Caroline Spelman

16 Jo Johnson

17 Jeremy Lefroy (Stafford)

18 Glyn Davies (Montgomeryshire)

19 Keith Simpson (Broadland)

20 Nick Hurd (Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner)

21 Mark Prisk (Hertford and Stortford)

22 Bill Grant (Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock)

23 Sir Hugo Swire (East Devon)

24 David Tredinnick (Bosworth)

25 Mark Field (Cities of London and Westminster)

26 Seema Kennedy (South Ribble)

27 Sarah Newton (Truro and Falmouth)

28 Mims Davies (Eastleigh)

29 Sir Alan Duncan (Melton and Rutland)

30 Peter Heaton-Jones (North Devon)

31 Margot James (Stourbridge)

32 Mark Lancaster (Milton Keynes North)

33 Ross Thomson (Aberdeen South)

34 Sir Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk)

35 Nick Herbert (Arundel & South Downs)

36 Ed Vaizey (Wantage and Didcot)
36 white men/women stuck in the past.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 8:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
36 white men/women stuck in the past.
Well, yes, we were discussing Conservatives.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 2:56 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.businessinsider.sg/boris...emlin-2019-11/

Old Nov 10th 2019, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimf
The vast majority of MPs have simply voted according to party orders whether conservative, labour SNP, DUP,liberal, green whatever. A small number of conservative MPs and smaller number of labour MPs have voted against party orders. MPs do have their careers to consider so voting according to party orders is understandable.
And I think they should....that is why we vote for them....if they don't, then they should not be in that party and should stand as an independent MP.....
Old Nov 10th 2019, 4:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If it he were not Boris, Boris would have a bigger Russian problem than the bribes. He'd be exposed to blackmail over his trips to Italy with the Russians. Still, since he's Boris, they'd have to have film of him doing something really outrageous before they'd have leverage. Even ****ing dead pigs is routine for this generation of the party.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.