View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Conservative
19.61%
Labour
23.53%
Liberal Democrats
29.41%
Scottish National Party
5.88%
Independent Group for Change
0%
Plaid Cymru
0%
Green Party
7.84%
Democratic Unionist Party
0%
Sinn Fein
0%
Brexit Party
3.92%
Other
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

UK General Election

Old Nov 6th 2019, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK General Election

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

We can but hope.....

Ok ....so are you going to tell us what the wonderful alternative is?
Old Nov 6th 2019, 11:09 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

It proves that he - and others - just spout any old rubbish and expect it to be taken seriously. It's 6th November. We didn't leave the EU and the Conservative Party is far from finished. Indeed, as one of the current memes quips, Kate Hopkins isn't naked, Mark Francois hasn't exploded, there isn't rioting on the streets.... yet all these things were said by Conservatives.

So the alternative is a Conservative Party that isn't full of ideological zealots like JRM and Mark Francois. Likewise, I am confident that the Labour Party will have to address the electoral viability of the Corbyn leadership after this election.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 11:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So the alternative is a Conservative Party that isn't full of ideological zealots like JRM and Mark Francois.
Is this a good list of such people?

1. Ken Clarke

2 Sir Oliver Letwin

3 Justine Greening

4 Rory Stewart

5 Amber Rudd

6 Guto Bebb

7 Nicky Morgan

8 Claire Perry

9 Sir Nicholas Soames

10 Alistair Burt

11 Richard Harrington

12 Richard Benyon

13 Sir David Lidington

14 Sir Patrick McLoughlin

15 Dame Caroline Spelman

16 Jo Johnson

17 Jeremy Lefroy (Stafford)

18 Glyn Davies (Montgomeryshire)

19 Keith Simpson (Broadland)

20 Nick Hurd (Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner)

21 Mark Prisk (Hertford and Stortford)

22 Bill Grant (Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock)

23 Sir Hugo Swire (East Devon)

24 David Tredinnick (Bosworth)

25 Mark Field (Cities of London and Westminster)

26 Seema Kennedy (South Ribble)

27 Sarah Newton (Truro and Falmouth)

28 Mims Davies (Eastleigh)

29 Sir Alan Duncan (Melton and Rutland)

30 Peter Heaton-Jones (North Devon)

31 Margot James (Stourbridge)

32 Mark Lancaster (Milton Keynes North)

33 Ross Thomson (Aberdeen South)

34 Sir Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk)

35 Nick Herbert (Arundel & South Downs)

36 Ed Vaizey (Wantage and Didcot)

Old Nov 6th 2019, 12:14 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is this a good list of such people?

1. Ken Clarke
I'm not at all familiar with most of the people on your list, but I believe that Ken Clarke is probably the most moderate out of that lot, and he was in Thatcher's government!! That tells you how far right they've lurched.

In any case, I still simply cannot understand why anyone under the age of 60 would vote Conservative. I just remind myself that, by definition, half the population is below average intelligence, and then it makes more sense.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not at all familiar with most of the people on your list, but I believe that Ken Clarke is probably the most moderate out of that lot, and he was in Thatcher's government!! That tells you how far right they've lurched.
Indeed.

That's a list of Conservative MPs who will not be standing at the next election. Of those who have stated a reason for not standing again, the common one is that the party no longer represents their views. We may reasonably infer that they don't think the party is now too liberal for them.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:29 pm
Lowering the tone

What are people's thoughts on the likely outcome of the election?

I fear that Labour will be decimated, and I can only hope that the Lib Dem & SNP vote is strong enough to take up the slack of a collapsed Labour vote. Hopefully the Brexit Party/UKIP will take just enough off the Tories to prevent them from getting an overall majority.

A hung Parliament would be a magnificent result and would totally demolish any argument for an early hard Brexit.

Bring it on...
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

It proves that he - and others - just spout any old rubbish and expect it to be taken seriously. It's 6th November. We didn't leave the EU and the Conservative Party is far from finished. Indeed, as one of the current memes quips, Kate Hopkins isn't naked, Mark Francois hasn't exploded, there isn't rioting on the streets.... yet all these things were said by Conservatives.

So the alternative is a Conservative Party that isn't full of ideological zealots like JRM and Mark Francois. Likewise, I am confident that the Labour Party will have to address the electoral viability of the Corbyn leadership after this election.

Well I am relieved you have said that at least! Not sure why he has ever been the labour leader and why Diane Abbot is shadow home secretary!??

As for the leave date....its true conservative members should have kept their mouths shut as without a majority in parliament its out of their hands..

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Nov 6th 2019 at 2:48 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

In any case, I still simply cannot understand why anyone under the age of 60 would vote Conservative. I just remind myself that, by definition, half the population is below average intelligence, and then it makes more sense.

I agree, that will explain why Corbyn is leader of the opposition!
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I fear that Labour will be decimated, and I can only hope that the Lib Dem & SNP vote is strong enough to take up the slack of a collapsed Labour vote. Hopefully the Brexit Party/UKIP will take just enough off the Tories to prevent them from getting an overall majority.

A hung Parliament would be a magnificent result and would totally demolish any argument for an early hard Brexit.

Bring it on...
Why would you want SNP to have votes?.....their sole function is to break up the United Kingdom....that platform is of no use to anyone.

Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well I am relieved you have said that at least! Not sure why he has even been leader
Because he won leadership elections....

I suspect he won those because he's not Blue Labour, but it's the latter who keep trying to replace him as they believe being Tory-lite will make them more electable. Which it won't.

We don't need 3.5 Tory parties, we need an opposition who actually opposes, and who holds the government to account.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Bring it on...
I agree with this up to the part about the hung Parliament. I think that leads to a hard Brexit at the end of 2020.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Because he won leadership elections....

I suspect he won those because he's not Blue Labour, but it's the latter who keep trying to replace him as they believe being Tory-lite will make them more electable. Which it won't.

We don't need 3.5 Tory parties, we need an opposition who actually opposes, and who holds the government to account.

I see your reasoning, but nothing he says is remotely viable..
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it on...
I agree that Labour are about to be decimated and I anticipate that the Tories will win a majority. I don't know how big of a majority.

Parliament has already agreed the new WA, has it not? It appears to me that all that needs to happen now is for the appropriate legislation to proceed through Parliament. Then the real negotiations with the EU can begin.

I don't believe that, if the Tories win a majority, they will rip up the current WA, as is implied by your reference to an early hard Brexit.

Time will tell and the electorate will get precisely what it deserves.

I imagine that, post election, there will be lots of discussions on here!
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Parliament has already agreed the new WA, has it not? It appears to me that all that needs to happen now is for the appropriate legislation to proceed through Parliament. Then the real negotiations with the EU can begin.
They would have to be completed, all aspects of the EU/UK relationship settled, by the end 2020 or there's a hard Brexit. Unless, of course, another extension is granted. I can't see the latter and the former is infeasible so assume a vote for the Conservatives is a vote for a hard Brexit.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I agree that Labour are about to be decimated and I anticipate that the Tories will win a majority. I don't know how big of a majority.

I don't believe that, if the Tories win a majority, they will rip up the current WA, as is implied by your reference to an early hard Brexit.

Time will tell and the electorate will get precisely what it deserves.

I imagine that, post election, there will be lots of discussions on here!
It has not. There was a majority vote to take the Withdrawal Bill to second reading, but parliament also voted to ensure the Bill was amendable at that stage, so Boris withdrew the Bill and lobbied successfully for a GE instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.