View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Conservative
19.61%
Labour
23.53%
Liberal Democrats
29.41%
Scottish National Party
5.88%
Independent Group for Change
0%
Plaid Cymru
0%
Green Party
7.84%
Democratic Unionist Party
0%
Sinn Fein
0%
Brexit Party
3.92%
Other
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

UK General Election

Old Nov 1st 2019, 4:10 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK General Election

Imagine that old chestnut. There's a parliamentary group assembled to design the camel.
Q. How many humps do you think it'd have? Two, three, a hundred?
A. Wrong. It wouldn't have any because the poor animal would never have seen the light of day.
This election, for good or ill, should settle at least one argument, who'll be buying the drinks on the 13th but other than that Brexit'll still be a work in progress.
This boil will keep popping up for years yet to come. All possible ills will be blamed on Brexit whether the UK leaves or not. It'll be the ultimate excuse, no doubt something already forming the basis for party thinking. But benefits? Oh, they'll result from government policies.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Nobody... irrespective of what you think about Brexit, not one of that shower in parliament deserves a vote. Pick your poison... the Brexiteers have become unhinged and the remainers would hardly fill you with confidence that they have any solutions to what to do with the fact the vote went for Brexit.

It was an advisory referendum and what they should have seen the sense to do, all of them, was find a mechanism to have a conversation with the country to find out why the brexit vote and proceed from there.
The biggest problem with the referendum was that it was 25 years too late.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 12:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Interesting to compare.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 10:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Johnson ‘knew about Vote Leave’s illegal overspend’, says MP
Boris Johnson knew of Vote Leave’s overspend during the 2016 EU referendum, but appears to have failed to tell the authorities, according to explosive new claims from a senior MP. The payment was subsequently ruled to be illegal. Ian Lucas revealed that he has seen correspondence obtained during the parliamentary inquiry into disinformation and democracy which showed that Johnson’s most senior aide, Dominic Cummings, told the Electoral Commission that the prime minister, and his cabinet colleague Michael Gove, knew of the overspend by the pro-Brexit organisation. The Electoral Commission last year judged that Vote Leave had broken electoral law by overspending during the EU referendum, after the campaign funnelled £675,000 through another pro-Brexit group, BeLeave, to avoid spending limits.
Par for the course.

Old Nov 2nd 2019, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Johnson and Cummings under fire as police hand criminal evidence on Vote Leave to prosecution agency

Evidence that could lead to criminal charges against the pro-Brexit campaign led by Boris Johnson and his key adviser, Dominic Cummings, has now been passed by police to the criminal prosecution authorities, openDemocracy has learned.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 12:00 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

It's an interesting observation that although this election will almost certainly be characterised as a second referendum, or people's vote as some would describe it, the major initial arguments seem to be centered around the personalities and histories of the main protagonists.
Corbyn has always struck me as a dour politician, one who never smiles and one who sends people to sleep the moment he opens his mouth.
Johnson may have been an untrustworthy journalist and likewise a roguish politician but like it or not he has a stronger personal impact and I suspect that many will excuse this because he's identified as Mr Leave and they really couldn't care.
Both of these are impacted by their own nemeses.
Labour has the Lib Dems. Their unequivocal stand as the Pro Remain party will suck support from the dithering Labour stand and the Tories have the Brexit party whose no-deal policy has a certain attraction to many otherwise Tory supporters.
No doubt every man and his dog will be examining poll and canvas results in an attempt to square the circle but I think this is one of those rare elections that'll go to the wire and many voters will only make up their minds in the voting booth. It'll be a problem for those supporters who'll be running around getting the vote out because they won't be sure if they're working for the other side.
I'll not be voting but it'll be a really interesting night as the results come in and fortunately the time delay means that I'll be able to see this at a reasonable time of day.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Lib Dem?....wasted vote..Unless your a remainer.....just an opinion....
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 9:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So, 17 votes for thee Tories, thats adding the Tories and Lib-Dems together as the Lib-Dems are Torylite in fact, just yellow Tories. You will note that the 'revoke article 50' seems to have disappeared from their speeches, and they support all the austerity programmes that have made The UK the mess it currently is. I see Farage has decided to cut his losses and NOT stand in the election, doesn't want defeat No 8. In fact I sure he really want the UK t stay in the EU, it would ensure he kept receiving his salary from them, and guarantee lots more paid attendances on the BBC QT panel.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 10:31 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
So, 17 votes for thee Tories, thats adding the Tories and Lib-Dems together as the Lib-Dems are Torylite in fact, just yellow Tories. You will note that the 'revoke article 50' seems to have disappeared from their speeches, and they support all the austerity programmes that have made The UK the mess it currently is. I see Farage has decided to cut his losses and NOT stand in the election, doesn't want defeat No 8. In fact I sure he really want the UK t stay in the EU, it would ensure he kept receiving his salary from them, and guarantee lots more paid attendances on the BBC QT panel.
Plus, he'd need to find another cause for his LBC rantfest....
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 11:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 4th 2019, 4:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
[deleted photo to avoid sickness]
Just reading about that fellow in Louis Theroux's new book.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 7:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Alex2201

Interesting to compare.
Yes. Unemotional chart.

Old Nov 5th 2019, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I think that's overgeneralising the situation.

There are some really good MPs, from most of the main parties. The biggest problem with Brexit is that the government and the media won't tell the public how bad Brexit is likely to be, nor has any party publicly been willing to stand up and tell the public the benefits of our EU membership.. But doing either of the above will be a sure Leave-vote loser, so I can see why.

That's what should have been done, but Cameron promised/pledged/lied (these things aren't always written on the side of a bus) that the referendum result would be enacted.when he had no legal authority to do so. And now we have a PM who's lied about the EU for most of his careers as a journalist and politician, and whose default position when a father asks him a question during a hospital visit is to lie.

The Tories have been the cause of most of the UK's ills, though looser banking regulations under Blair's Labour (and supported by Tories) began the major problems. And Blair Labour's failure to implement free movèment controls for A8 nationals was a big mistake in hindsight, but had the projected number been correct (aka had more EU member states done the same as the UK did), they would have been more managable.

The current Labour Party isn't as Tory blue as it was in Blairs time (other than a vocal minority), neither is it as res as 70s and 80s Labour.
Nothing I can really disagree with there (I was over generalising under influence of a few beers and having read several articles of rubbish fro the Guardian). But there is little doubt that few of them have mesured up to the challenge here. The response of Caroline Lucas to the Lib Dem revoke declaration was a good one, for example, because she can at least see that something needs to be done to address the reasons behind the Brexit vote. This stood out, though, in a sea of political games and unhinged nonsense from all sides.

I would politically tend towards conservatism, of the more traditional kind, but I am glad that Corbyn is there to present a different picture as, you are right, Blair was a tory-lite.

I have no answers myself, but I am simply unconvinced anyone in parliament does or, if they do, do they have the courage to come out with it.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf

The biggest problem with the referendum was that it was 25 years too late.
I assume you mean the Maastricht Treaty era? I agree with that... I was doing my GCSEs when that came about and wondered even then where the public consent was coming from.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 9:36 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

We can but hope.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.