View Poll Results: Who will win the election?
Conservatives
45.10%
Labour
11.76%
Liberal Democrats
1.96%
UKIP
19.61%
Green
5.88%
SNP
9.80%
Plaid Subaru
5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

UK Election Poll

Old May 8th 2015, 9:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Election Poll

Originally Posted by Oink
That's just hyperbolic nonsense with no bearing on the reality.
Spot on.
Old May 8th 2015, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
On the other hand, absolute drivel. Especially the part about denying drug addicts benefits. What next, a poorhouse for those who can't afford to repay their credit cards.
No it's not drivel, because drug rehabilitation could be provided instead.

If they undergo rehabilitation, then they can have benefits and potentially get a job.

Most of the stuff they take is recreational anyway, so no treatment for cocaine or cannabis use would be necessary. They just wouldn't get any benefits unless they stay clean.

Why should the British taxpayer pay for the recreational drug use of wastes of space?
Old May 8th 2015, 11:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
No it's not drivel, because drug rehabilitation could be provided instead.

If they undergo rehabilitation, then they can have benefits and potentially get a job.

Most of the stuff they take is recreational anyway, so no treatment for cocaine or cannabis use would be necessary. They just wouldn't get any benefits unless they stay clean.

Why should the British taxpayer pay for the recreational drug use of wastes of space?
So what happens if they can't deal with rehabilitation or relapse? Expect them to scavenge for food? Drug rehab is already provided to many addicts in ine way or another. Stripping away benefits would only make their life harder, and reduce the chance of rehabilitation, which would end up costing society more through crime or hospitalisation.

Why should the taxpayer pay? Well, first, we're talking about a fellow human being; second, in some way society has failed the person to begin with so there is an element of responsibility; third, people need to live while they take time to sort out their problems. My question to you is why do we need to be so nasty to those that are less fortunate than ourselves? Is there some kind of satisfaction gained in imposing punishments for not living up to societies standards?
Old May 8th 2015, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

BeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
free of illegal drugs (which should be a condition for receiving benefits anyway)
Who are you, I, the government or anyone to decide how somebody lives their life? That's a decision for them and them alone.
Old May 9th 2015, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_
So my only interest really in this election is to follow the trajectory of the SNP, which so far has mirrored that of the BQ.

Referendum loses narrowly, check.

So people who voted yes vote overwhelmingly for separatist party at next general election, check.

No-one wants to form any sort of coalition with separatists, check.

So what happens now in a desperate attempt to stay relevant is they blame the governing party for everything going wrong in the area they represent, which is definitely the SNP playbook.

But eventually it dawns on both the people in the party and outside they have no real power, they run out of things to complain about and two or three elections from now they go down the toilet. Also, anyone with any actual ambition won't want to sit on the backbenches forever so they'll eventually migrate to another party. But in the meantime, there will be various stupid moves to placate them by central govt.

So welcome to the high water mark of the SNP. Really they're even more marginalized than the BQ, because Scotland only has 8% of the population of the UK, whereas Québec has 20% of the population of Canada.
You may well be right - as we saw last night things can change dramatically over the course of a few years. My knowledge of Canadian politics is very limited and I don't know a great deal about the situation in Quebec which makes it difficult to analyse your comparison.

However, it would be interesting to know what the demographics were in terms of age who voted for BQ? In Scotland, Labour performed best with older voters, presumably in many cases due to some sense of blind loyalty to the party or sheer habit. The SNP's core support is among younger voters. I don't know if this is the case for BQ, but I imagine the opposite is true.

You also have to take into account that for the SNP 's support to be reduced the Labour party will need to alter its approach. It will need to move to the left (as the SNP has successfully maneuvered itself into Labour's old position). This will, however, be difficult due to the need to move to the right to become electable again in England - the electorates in the two countries are clearly divergent.

Incidentally, quite a few of my English friends (including my flatmate) who voted Yes in the referendum voted for other parties in the election.
Old May 9th 2015, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Also, how good was it to see Galloway lose his seat? He blamed racists and Zionists for his humiliation to umm... Naz Shah. A bit awkward.
Old May 9th 2015, 12:49 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I've found it most distressing today reading my Facebook feed from the various Deaf and hard of hearing groups to which I belong. There are frightened, worried people in those groups. Already upset about NHS audiology cutbacks, Access to Work support, and benefit payment assessments they are now anticipating worse.

i hope they are wrong but I doubt it.
Old May 9th 2015, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

BeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdizzle

Incidentally, quite a few of my English friends (including my flatmate) who voted Yes in the referendum voted for other parties in the election.
Conversely, at least 3 of the 5 No voters I haven't cut ties with since September voted SNP!
Old May 9th 2015, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
I've found it most distressing today reading my Facebook feed from the various Deaf and hard of hearing groups to which I belong. There are frightened, worried people in those groups. Already upset about NHS audiology cutbacks, Access to Work support, and benefit payment assessments they are now anticipating worse.

i hope they are wrong but I doubt it.
Not surprised. That's the kind of cuts the people of Britain have voted for.
Old May 9th 2015, 3:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Heartless
Old May 9th 2015, 3:44 pm
Yo

Well, they did, but they were hoodwinked into it. The Conservatives managed to evade the detail of the cuts and distract the media with things such as the composition of the TV debates, big bad UKIP, big bad SNP etc. I also think not that many people realise just how enormous 12BN is - especially amongst many that will be directly affected. The only hope is that economic growth is very robust and fewer cuts are actually needed. But with Osborne and IDS at the controls, don't hold your breath.
Old May 9th 2015, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
Heartless
I'm in full agreement with you.
Old May 9th 2015, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
Well, they did, but they were hoodwinked into it. The Conservatives managed to evade the detail of the cuts and distract the media with things such as the composition of the TV debates, big bad UKIP, big bad SNP etc. I also think not that many people realise just how enormous 12BN is - especially amongst many that will be directly affected. The only hope is that economic growth is very robust and fewer cuts are actually needed. But with Osborne and IDS at the controls, don't hold your breath.
I think anyone who expected anything else from voting for the Conservatives is either incredibly naive or ignorant tbh.

This article is an interesting read btw -

The austerity delusion | Paul Krugman | Business | The Guardian
Old May 9th 2015, 4:10 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think anyone who expected anything else from voting for the Conservatives is either incredibly naive or ignorant tbh.

Are you saying democracy doesn't work because the party you might have wanted didn't get into power?
Old May 9th 2015, 4:19 pm
Yo

Yes a good read (only read half of it but I'm familiar with Krugman's views). So much of the proposed austerity is indeed ideological (IDS and Osborne) and we will have to wait and see what actually comes about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.