Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK car rental and insurance...

UK car rental and insurance...

Old Jun 11th 2018, 4:11 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK car rental and insurance...

I am going to the UK this week and booked a rental car, declining all their insurance.
Our car insurance covers me for rental cars in the US and Canada.
I found that our credit card insurance covers me for all rental car insurance in the UK, except for 3rd party liability. No one it seems would cover it.
After a week of googling I discovered that by law car rental companies in the UK HAVE to cover 3rd party as part of their rental rates. A quick call to Entertprise confirms this.
I am armed with my paperwork from Mastercard and will read the paperwork when I get to the Enterprise counter, but so far, it seems that I no longer have to pay their ridiculous car rental insurance.
Just wanted to share....
Old Jun 11th 2018, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK car rental and insurance...

I am also looking at renting a car in the UK in August.I have RBC Visa and the same thing the card doesnt cover third party so was looking at buying the rental company insurance also.Where did you find out the UK laws that rental company have to provide third party in their rates.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I am also looking at renting a car in the UK in August.I have RBC Visa and the same thing the card doesnt cover third party so was looking at buying the rental company insurance also.Where did you find out the UK laws that rental company have to provide third party in their rates.
Third party insurance is the legal minimum in the UK. If the rental company allowed a vehicle to be driven without it, they (the rental company) would be breaking the law.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Third party insurance is the legal minimum in the UK. If the rental company allowed a vehicle to be driven without it, they (the rental company) would be breaking the law.
Ok thanks. I was looking at Europcar basic insurance and it includes " liability insurance" which is Third party insurance,it seems they try and confuse people .So it looks like I can do the same as OP and use the coverage from my credit card .
Old Jun 12th 2018, 8:53 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Did you call Enterprise in the UK to clarify that? It's been a while since I've rented a car in the UK on a Canadian credit card, but I remember having insurance problems and the desk staff not permitting the rental without the insurance. And the desk staff are not usually the sharpest chisel in the toolbox.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Did you call Enterprise in the UK to clarify that? It's been a while since I've rented a car in the UK on a Canadian credit card, but I remember having insurance problems and the desk staff not permitting the rental without the insurance. And the desk staff are not usually the sharpest chisel in the toolbox.
Last few visits, I've used my AMEX card and declined their insurance. No arguments. I just tell them I'm covered by my card. Last visit was about a year ago. Enterprise at Manchester airport.

Rental insurance is a huge scam. They make a fortune from it. $20-$30 per day equates to $7-$10,000 per year. Even then, they'll try their best to screw you out of the deductible by claiming damage. Been there. Done that. Always get photos before and after.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 12:24 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I did call them. First I called their main number and got someone who would not give me a yes or no answer to my "is third party covered in the rental rates?" question but kept saying she had many insurance options for me so I rang the Enterprise desk at London Gatwick and the guy there told me that yes, its covered in the rental rates.
I have my credit card paperwork printed quoting what they insure (CDW etc) and I will read the Enterprise paperwork before I leave the desk for the 3rd party piece.
I found it out initially from here: https://www.budget.co.uk/products-services/basic-cover-explained
As I wasnt going with Budget I wanted to hear it from Enterprise too.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 12:25 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Last few visits, I've used my AMEX card and declined their insurance. No arguments. I just tell them I'm covered by my card. Last visit was about a year ago. Enterprise at Manchester airport.

Rental insurance is a huge scam. They make a fortune from it. $20-$30 per day equates to $7-$10,000 per year. Even then, they'll try their best to screw you out of the deductible by claiming damage. Been there. Done that. Always get photos before and after.
I will absolutely get the before and after photos, never thought of that. Good plan.