Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

Old Sep 4th 2016, 1:56 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

Originally Posted by GC44
Many of my co-workers happily slurp Timmies, but when I suggest Starbucks they all claim its far to strong. As the UK is awash with Starbucks / Costa among others I am dubious just how popular Tims dish water will be amongst the young mums and students of the UK.
Because its cheaper then the others.

I don't think Timmies will be as cheap as it is out here when they start in the UK but it may be cheaper then Starbucks/Costa...is there actually any other coffee chain there?..oh yeah Pret a Manger (I love their coffee).

Even Starbucks is more expensive in the UK when you do the conversion
Old Sep 4th 2016, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

I don't think Timmies will be as cheap as it is out here when they start in the UK but it may be cheaper then Starbucks/Costa...is there actually any other coffee chain there?..oh yeah Pret a Manger (I love their coffee).

Before we left the UK in 2011 we would frequently do the normal Saturday morning shopping and coffee in Starbucks on the outskirts of York. The queue for coffee was frequently through the length of the shop to the door. I am shocked if when we get to our local Starbucks here in MB on a Saturday morning there are more than 6 people in the whole outlet. It is located in the midst of our local towns biggest shopping area.
If price is the deciding factor then I would suggest that McDonalds has that covered, I drink there Lattes or Cappuccinos and to be honest I find them pretty good.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 4:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

Also Cafe Nero and many independents. The best deal, however, is Waitrose where you can get a free cup of coffee (freshly ground in a decent machine) by popping in with their loyalty card.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 4:41 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Also Cafe Nero and many independents. The best deal, however, is Waitrose where you can get a free cup of coffee (freshly ground in a decent machine) by popping in with their loyalty card.
I did that with John Lewis (also owns Waitrose) I got a free cake and coffee each month at the dept store in Milton Keynes - I loved that!
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Burger King is crap but they know a thing or two about marketing. For some reason they think the British will buy Tim Horton's coffee and food, and then continue to buy it. I don't go there, but I see the lines of cars. Obviously a lot of nations have different established tastes and wouldn't be good targets, but they think it will work there. Even pre-Burger King Tim's was very carefull about how many franchises were allowed and where they were located so they didn't step on each other, and about who could buy in.
Attached Thumbnails UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.-gfx-top-10-coffee-consuming-countries.jpeg  
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Burger King is crap but they know a thing or two about marketing. For some reason they think the British will buy Tim Horton's coffee and food, and then continue to buy it. I don't go there, but I see the lines of cars. Obviously a lot of nations have different established tastes and wouldn't be good targets, but they think it will work there. Even pre-Burger King Tim's was very carefull about how many franchises were allowed and where they were located so they didn't step on each other, and about who could buy in.
We can say that about most brands to an extent. The giants like Walmart, McDonalds and Burger King have proven to be accepted into most developed countries whereas others struggle. IKEA just don't open up anywhere and are Home Depot any better or worse than a B & Q?
When Tims expanded into the US it didn't do as great as they expected and in fact closed stores down as the Mericans stuck with their Dunkin Donuts, Caribou,
Seattle's Best, and Starbucks.
How well did Target do in Canada and Lowes is slowly making headway.
Where is your nearest Nandos who are now entering the Canadian market?

I predict they won't be a huge success. Perhaps they should open up at Gatwick, Heathrow or Manchester airports to catch Canadians arriving and departing the UK
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Burger King...For some reason they think the British will buy Tim Horton's coffee...
A common thing with Brits always seemed to be that they thought 'real' coffee was too strong.

It seemed to me that it was simply the difference between the instant coffee they were used to and the real deal they were now experiencing. This is just based on my observation of their reaction and comments when drinking the real stuff abroad.

It's a bit of a surprise how coffee shops have caught on in the UK but maybe customers are drinking it as something other than simple coffee?

Maybe Tim Hortons will provide a simple coffee week enough for those who don't go in for the fancy stuff.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Maybe Tim Hortons will provide a simple coffee week enough for those who don't go in for the fancy stuff.
While I've never had coffee in the UK, I suspected something like that. Test markets can predict if a product will appeal to local tastes but how it will sell and maintain in concert with advertising is harder. Target in Canada was a bad store from the word go, and never should have been. The task for Tim Hortons will be creating a fad then making it endure, but the British adopt foreign foods quite readily since the former colonies of the Empire have returned to Mother England, and the huge lines of cars may be snaking out of the lots and onto the street soon, but the cars will be smaller and on the left side of the road.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...the huge lines of cars may be snaking out of the lots and onto the street soon, but the cars will be smaller and on the left side of the road.
I wonder if the designers of the outlets will remember this.

My realtor gave me a lift the other day. I got to the car door ahead of him. On the driver's side.

After 12 years of looking left first (mostly ) and getting into taxis on the 'right' side I went to the wrong side.

Well, it's obvious when there's soneone already in the driver's seat.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Starbucks already do that, their normal 'coffee' is vile weak stuff, if there's no other option then I'll get one there but I always have to ask for an extra shot in it. So unless TH's are planning on it being even weaker than Starbucks (which would basically mean it's just water!), I don't think that'll be a selling point somehow.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

New, foreign, and sweet, just like English girls.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

New, foreign, and sweet, just like English girls.
Well not the ones from Essex and a few other places I could mention.