Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

Old Sep 2nd 2016, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

Originally Posted by Edo
I heard once upon a time Tim Horton's used to make their doughnuts fresh in store from scratch (hence the "always fresh" besides their brand). The Always Fresh stayed but unfortunately the doughnut production was moved to a factory and now perhaps transported freshly frozen which may explain the new taste.
My son used to work in a Timmies and his location made all of the donuts (that was his job) for another 6 locations local to his so I would dispute your suggestion that they are made in a factory and shipped, unless one could call a store a factory
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 7:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Good thing about Tim Hortons is they sell coffee. After memorising a string of goobledegook that when uttered in starbucks would cause a cup of coffee to appear, I tried the same in canada, only to get a smile and the question "would you like a coffee?"
Which brings me to my old favourite.

"(regular/medium/large) black coffee please"

"Milk or cream?"
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they have recently changed back to fresh made in store, but for years they had their donuts par baked at an industrial bakery then flash froze.

The stores simply reheated and probably added some icing but hardly freshly made in store as in made from scratch.

There was even a lawsuit over it as franchisees claimed that method cost them more.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My son used to work in a Timmies and his location made all of the donuts (that was his job) for another 6 locations local to his so I would dispute your suggestion that they are made in a factory and shipped, unless one could call a store a factory

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 2nd 2016 at 7:55 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 4:51 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Maybe they have recently changed back to fresh made in store, but for years they had their donuts par baked at an industrial bakery then flash froze.

The stores simply reheated and probably added some icing but hardly freshly made in store as in made from scratch.

There was even a lawsuit over it as franchisees claimed that method cost them more.
I don't really care how they are prepared, they are still yummy!
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The doughnuts probably don't do much to regulate the blood sugar I bet SP!

A box of timbits is only $2.

The number people I've stood behind asking for a double double: that's very common
many times people ask for a triple triple
and very occasionally a 4 by 4.

I have to ask for milk one sugar, sometimes even half a sugar or the tea is too sweet! (love it though!)

S
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 5:08 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I had to google double double Snowy! I'm off this weekend so am ignoring blood sugars and the like

I'm a straight coffee with milk kind of guy. No sugar. Snoop and I had a Subway with youngest pup on our wedding anniversary- yes, sadly true but we needed to bribe him into town!
The coffee was truly foul.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Double double = 2 cream, 2 sugar
Triple triple = 3 cream, 3 sugar
Four by four = 4 cream, 4 sugar (Ugh!!)

I've had to bribe the kids with a subway or another type of takeaway often enough (well, the teenagers). I'm sure we all have.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 3rd 2016 at 5:18 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 2:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Double double = 2 cream, 2 sugar
Triple triple = 3 cream, 3 sugar
Four by four = 4 cream, 4 sugar (Ugh!!)
Is there some sort of law that says cream comes first?

I mean, what if you want 3 cream and 2 sugar...is it a Triple double and you definitely won't get 3 sugar and 2 cream?

If it's one of each that you want, is it a Single single?
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I mean, what if you want 3 cream and 2 sugar...is it a Triple double and you definitely won't get 3 sugar and 2 cream?

Yes people ask for individual things like honey instead of sugar or two milks etc.

S
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to think is the North Korean style training that Timmies employees receive when they start. It is a procedure that must be followed to the letter of the law with no room for independent thought or decisions to be made by the employee.

1. Greet customer and ask what they want.
2. Try to repeat what you just said e.g. so thats a medium double double.
3. Punch the order into the till (POS).
4. Select the correct cup size.
5. Select the correct coffee carafe (dark roast, regular or decaf)
6. Fill to 1 inch below the rim and walk over to the cream dispenser and punch the appropriate number of creams button.
7. Then move and repeat with the sugar dispenser.
8. Jiggle the long spoon in the bottom of the coffee but don't actually stir it clockwise or anti clockwise.
9. Put on lid and give to customer.

Of course I have seen various versions of these steps and also the up sell of would you like a doughnut or anything else. If I wanted a doughnut or anything else I would have ****ing asked for it.

Same crap to go through at Mickey D's except sometimes they don't listen.
Quarter pound meal deal no pickle. So thats a quarter pound meal with no pickle and watch it being punched in. Receive said order and go and sit down and lo and behold my quarter pounder has pickle in it
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 3:03 pm
Oscar nominated

I've been in Canada for 12 years now and if there's one thing I cannot get used to it's coffee shops and some, mainly fast food places but other chains too, with the constant barrage of questions.

From being asked if I want milk or cream with the black coffee I ordered to how do I want my fried egg (cooked please) to eat-in or take-out (you just saw me come in alone so do you think I want those four cheeseburger platters all to myself) to do you want to add (whatever) no thanks if I did I'd have asked because I can read that menu up there and you just saw me reading it.

Whenever we have a take-out I do an on line order or send someone else to get it.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 7:43 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they fail spectacularly.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
I hope they fail spectacularly.
Who the UK coffee drinkers or Tim Hortons?
Old Sep 4th 2016, 1:04 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

And the look you get when you say no sugar...

Which brings me to my old favourite.

"(regular/medium/large) black coffee please"

"Milk or cream?"
Old Sep 4th 2016, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Many of my co-workers happily slurp Timmies, but when I suggest Starbucks they all claim its far to strong. As the UK is awash with Starbucks / Costa among others I am dubious just how popular Tims dish water will be amongst the young mums and students of the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.