Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK Bank On Line Access ? (Need a uk mobile for text messages)

UK Bank On Line Access ? (Need a uk mobile for text messages)

Old Jan 22nd 2021, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

999Bankie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Bank On Line Access ? (Need a uk mobile for text messages)

I have a UK bank account. As the bank has on line access, I thought I'd sign up for it. I spoke with a bank representative who explained to me that a requirement of on line access is having a UK mobile phone/UK phone number for the bank to send an 'access code' via a text message, each time you log in on line.
Does anyone have a solution to having an active UK mobile in Canada, to receive text messages for UK on line banking ?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 3:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Bank On Line Access ? (Need a uk mobile for text messages)

Originally Posted by 999Bankie
I have a UK bank account. As the bank has on line access, I thought I'd sign up for it. I spoke with a bank representative who explained to me that a requirement of on line access is having a UK mobile phone/UK phone number for the bank to send an 'access code' via a text message, each time you log in on line.
Does anyone have a solution to having an active UK mobile in Canada, to receive text messages for UK on line banking ?

Thank you in advance.
Just keep a SIM only deal, and switch SIMs when needed? Or even keep it in an old phone in a drawer somewhere.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I'll look into that.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you in advance.
Not a direct answer to your question, but I have a UK Nationwide bank account and they do not need or use a UK mobile to send an access code to. I use a 'calculator' type device they sent to me where I insert my valid UK debit card, enter the PIN and it gives me a unique number valid for 60 seconds to use on the login screen. Works a treat.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Not a direct answer to your question, but I have a UK Nationwide bank account and they do not need or use a UK mobile to send an access code to. I use a 'calculator' type device they sent to me where I insert my valid UK debit card, enter the PIN and it gives me a unique number valid for 60 seconds to use on the login screen. Works a treat.
But likely to be done away with soon, most banks are moving to text or in app verification. Nationwide are already using texts for online access now too.

Personally though, if the OP hasn't moved yet, I'd just go with an online only bank. We've just done that in fact, moved our joint account from Nationwide to Starling (who I already had two other accounts with), so that we don't need to worry about having to visit a branch, and then it's just in app notifications and verifications so no need for texts either. They're also happy with us moving abroad and keeping our account open.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 4:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just keep a SIM only deal, and switch SIMs when needed? Or even keep it in an old phone in a drawer somewhere.
(edited, brain fart - the OP will most likely need a UK paygo, not a Canada one, sorry!)
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/b...-for-low-usage

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 22nd 2021 at 5:07 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

I've lived/worked in Canada since the early 80's but a change in circumstances had me go back to the UK in 2003. I opened a Clydesdale Bank account (Virgin/Clydesdale now) while there and I was staying with my mum (her address is on my account) . I returned to Canada in 2005 and I'm back working and settled in Canada.

I guess I could buy a UK Asda sim or similar complete with UK phone number and top it up as required.

Last edited by 999Bankie; Jan 22nd 2021 at 5:22 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 6:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived/worked in Canada since the early 80's but a change in circumstances had me go back to the UK in 2003. I opened a Clydesdale Bank account (Virgin/Clydesdale now) while there and I was staying with my mum (her address is on my account) . I returned to Canada in 2005 and I'm back working and settled in Canada.

I guess I could buy a UK Asda sim or similar complete with UK phone number and top it up as required.
Or perhaps a virtual number that will forward SMS or a text (usually to email) or call to your phone in Canada.. or an SMS service - create a secure email address for receipt.. (gmx.com email appears to be quite secure, and free)

https://www.aitelephone.com/uk-virtu...ne-number.html
UK Mobile SMS Optional Phone Numbers – In UK, Mobile (SMS Optional) Land lines, mobile phones, pay phones, and other countries can access this type of number. UK Mobile SMSnumbers feature sends SMS messages to your email. SMS messages get forwarded automatically to an email address chosen by the subscriber. Incoming SMS content is forwarded in email format, with the sender’s caller ID and text message.
https://iconoffices.co.uk/uk-virtual-mobile-number.php

There are a lot of companies offering the service.. (google search set up for you)
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Siouxie. The 'Iconoffices.co.uk' supplies a virtual UK mobile phone number which will handle
  • UK Mobile Number
  • Virtual Number with no sim card
  • Receive SMS messages via email
  • Receive calls via free call Divert
  • Use your mobile number to receive verification codes
  • Use your Virtual Movbile Number to create
    Social Media accounts in WhatsApp and Facebook
  • Change email address to divert SMS to yourself at any time
  • Change number to divert calls to yourself at anytime
  • Make outbound calls from your UK Mobile Number
  • Free minutes for outbound calls
  • Send SMS from your Virtual Mobile Number
including bank verification codes.

Cost is 1 pound sterling/($1.72) per week.

I appreciate your help
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 7:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Siouxie. The 'Iconoffices.co.uk' supplies a virtual UK mobile phone number which will handle
  • UK Mobile Number
  • Virtual Number with no sim card
  • Receive SMS messages via email
  • Receive calls via free call Divert
  • Use your mobile number to receive verification codes
  • Use your Virtual Movbile Number to create
    Social Media accounts in WhatsApp and Facebook
  • Change email address to divert SMS to yourself at any time
  • Change number to divert calls to yourself at anytime
  • Make outbound calls from your UK Mobile Number
  • Free minutes for outbound calls
  • Send SMS from your Virtual Mobile Number
including bank verification codes.

Cost is 1 pound sterling/($1.72) per week.

I appreciate your help
Obviously much depends on what the account is used for. I have gradually dispensed with UK credit cards - which were good for buying stuff on the likes of Amazon UK and not paying a currency change fee - and I'm now left with just a current account that receives UK income which I transfer to Canada using TransferWise as the rates are cheap and the exchange rate good.
For the moment my UK bank randomly sends a security number by email so all is good.
In the event this stops and some check UK based is needed which I can't meet - I don't even have a cell phone here I intend to open a borderless TW account and have my income switched over, carrying on in the same way. I believe it will be better than having to income directly to my Canadian bank.

Now that will suit my particular circumstances but what if someone is doing other things - bill paying, say - that TW may not do?

Does it still work with a "UK" offshore account? Last time I looked there were some that were free with a minimum balance or charged, but may be a lower charge than some of these work-arounds.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 22nd 2021 at 7:28 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 9:41 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But likely to be done away with soon, most banks are moving to text or in app verification. Nationwide are already using texts for online access now too.
when I spoke with Nationwide last year, I addressed my concerns regarding this and they said they would not be doing away with the card reader any time soon.

Nationwide will not send texts to non- uk numbers so have to have something available to non UK residents