Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Typically British things? Ideas?

Typically British things? Ideas?

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:12 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Typically British things? Ideas?

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I enjoy haggis but would never want to make one, would be put right off

Had to laugh Daedra about you being told that the kidney in steak and kidney pie was kidney beans. See what parent will tell you just to get you to eat it When I was a kid my dad often had a tongue sandwich........ means something different now of course!!!!!!! Don't know what I thought tongue slices were when I was younger but I remember being horrified when I saw a whole one uncooked and on a tray in the butcher :scared:
oh god yes I remember the first time I saw a cow tongue at the display of the buthers... *yech* and pigs hooves & brains... always wondered who actually bought the stuff on display and what they did with it. Maybe they use it as props in some kind of macabre play when they get home?

Mum was very creative in finding ways to get us to eat/try stuff... atleast she didn't try to force us and just made it seem more of an adventure. Still can't stand the taste of liver & onions though *shudder* goes straight through me.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:18 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sydney
Wow, I'll try out their website now.
Does the LCBO cover all of Canada? Learn something new everyday! Always thought it was Ontario's liquor board *lol*

I used to buy off the SAQ (Societe Alcohol of Quebec) website as it works on the same principle, was hard for me to find New Zealand and Australian chardonay's in local shops so I'd get them ordered off the SAQ (some proof of age when creating an account is required I think) to cater to my palette

Website for the SAQ if you want to poke around
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:20 am
Senile Member

Originally Posted by SivoxII
That's because the Scots are the Shortbread Kings!!!
Can't argue with that, the best shortbread cookies I've had are the ones with the tartan packaging imported from Scotland
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 1:05 pm
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

I've decided to try to get some British beers and have deciede to include rice pudding and custard. I know my friends have heard of custard but don't use it in the same way as we do.

Do you know what I have had a real fancy for since starting this thread? Twiglets!!! And I guess I won't be able to get any of those.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 1:34 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daedra
oh god yes I remember the first time I saw a cow tongue at the display of the buthers... *yech* and pigs hooves & brains... always wondered who actually bought the stuff on display and what they did with it. Maybe they use it as props in some kind of macabre play when they get home?

Mum was very creative in finding ways to get us to eat/try stuff... atleast she didn't try to force us and just made it seem more of an adventure. Still can't stand the taste of liver & onions though *shudder* goes straight through me.
I was at a New Year bash in Chateauguay last year. Dinner involved some sort of brown stew containing, I was told after eating it, pigs feet.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 2:17 pm
Senile Member

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I was at a New Year bash in Chateauguay last year. Dinner involved some sort of brown stew containing, I was told after eating it, pigs feet.
OMG!!!! :scared:

Did you feel slightly nauseous after being told?
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 2:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daedra
Does the LCBO cover all of Canada? Learn something new everyday! Always thought it was Ontario's liquor board *lol*
No the LCBO does not cover all of Canada.

It is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

Liquor is provincially regulated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol...tion_in_Canada
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Do any of you have any other ideas that I can include?
A Dyson.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 3:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pint princess
A Dyson.
You did read the first sentence in the OP's post didn't you?

I am putting together a small gift for a couple of Canadian friends and I wanted to get a few typically British items for them. So far I have come up with shortbread, mince pies, christmas cake, crumpets and pork pie.
I'd hardly call a Dyson small.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You did read the first sentence in the OP's post didn't you?
Of course I did and I've read all of replies. Crisps, shortbread, oatcakes, crumpets, mince pies, etc....... that's a lot of crumbs!

I'd hardly call a Dyson small.
It could be a big basket!
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:47 pm
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pint princess
Of course I did and I've read all of replies. Crisps, shortbread, oatcakes, crumpets, mince pies, etc....... that's a lot of crumbs!

It could be a big basket!
If I had Dyson, I wouldn't be giving it away.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:08 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

If I had Dyson, I wouldn't be giving it away.
Suck well ?

Rich.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:36 pm
I don't believe it!

grumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Surely a Satanic culinary invention. Crushed dried powdered mixed regurgitated sawdust, anyone ?

Rich.
Ever tried it Rich? Apparently not.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

snowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I have to tell you, chocolate is not the same here. You can buy Cadbury's chocolate here - the same name - say fruit and nut - but it's totally different. I don't care for Canadian chocolate. To me its kind of gooey in your throat. But the same chocolate bar in England is much, much better. Once you have tasted English chocolate you won't like the Canadian stuff. People have discussed this many times on here and some are skeptical - but it really is true!

Oh yes, I agree! Proper Cadbury's choccie from England is so much better....wonder if it's something to do with the milk or the water...maybe the cocoa solids....don't know, don't care....I miss the Real Stuff!
Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:14 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Chorley a market town in Lancashire just south of Preston.

Cheers
Steve
Or a major Metropolis by Canadian standards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.