Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Typically British things? Ideas?

Typically British things? Ideas?

Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:36 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Typically British things? Ideas?

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Can you get Eccles cakes (fly cemetery).

For some reason Safeway in Calgary insist on calling them Eccle cakes can't seem to convince them it's ECCLES.
Thats because Canadians assume that Eccles is the plural for a place name... ignorant rednecks *lol*
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:39 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daedra
Thats because Canadians assume that Eccles is the plural for a place name... ignorant rednecks *lol*
I wouldn't think they even know what or where Eccles is.

They certainly don't know what a Chorley cake is.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:43 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Thanks everyone, your list of goodies help me out as we are moving to NS in Jan and I was going to put a box of goodies in with my shipment. Already had planned to take gravy granules, oxo cubes and English mustard and a good amount of chocolate

As Nova Scotia seems more Scottish than Scotland, can somebody tell me if I can easily buy shortbread, oatcakes, pickled beetroot and porridge oats. Can I expect to be able to purchase a haggis for Burns Night (Jan 25th)?

Can you buy HP brown sauce in Canada? Any tips on anything else we take for granted over here but is not available in Canada would be gratefully received Thanks
Shortbread (often called Scottish Shortbread on the tins) and porridge oats (Quaker oats or Quaker instant oats in Canada) are readily avaidable in Canada as well. Pickled beetroot we got (though it was more readily found in large slices rather then shredded like in the UK)... I am quite doubtful about haggis being easily avaidable in Canada... I would get a good recipe printed up to take with you and find out what (possibly unusual) ingredients you will need to bring with you from the UK to make it there yourself just in case. Most local Canadian butchers will be able to get you any part of the animals you ask for with some forewarning (if not usually stocked) as to them, its just less stuff to chuck in the bin... only saying so 'cos I heard rumours that haggis is made from nasty body parts of pigs *lol*
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:45 pm
Senile Member

I wouldn't think they even know what or where Eccles is.

They certainly don't know what a Chorley cake is.
Obviously I still have much to learn, I've not heard of a Chorley cake either and I've been here nearly 3 years!!

I am proud that I know where Eccles is, it's a stop on the Manchester metrolink innit? *lol*
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously I still have much to learn, I've not heard of a Chorley cake either and I've been here nearly 3 years!!

I am proud that I know where Eccles is, it's a stop on the Manchester metrolink innit? *lol*

Chorley Cakes as defined by Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorley_cake

Chorley a market town in Lancashire just south of Preston.

Cheers
Steve
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:31 am
Senile Member

Chorley Cakes as defined by Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorley_cake

Chorley a market town in Lancashire just south of Preston.

Cheers
Steve
Hmm they sound quite nice (and probably not going to help me drop the pounds) so I'm going to have to refrain *lol*

Never ate mince-pies in Canada, thought they refered to mince meat (ground beef/humburger meat) when I heard of them 3 years ago... now I have been converted and have already had 6 of them so far and its not even x-mas yet

Last edited by Daedra; Dec 23rd 2006 at 12:37 am. Reason: typos :p
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I have to tell you, chocolate is not the same here. You can buy Cadbury's chocolate here - the same name - say fruit and nut - but it's totally different. I don't care for Canadian chocolate. To me its kind of gooey in your throat. But the same chocolate bar in England is much, much better. Once you have tasted English chocolate you won't like the Canadian stuff. People have discussed this many times on here and some are skeptical - but it really is true!

I am so glad that someone agrees with me......I thought my taste buds must be playing tricks on me!!!!

The chocolate here in Canada I find tasteless....I have been told they add wax to it so it travels better

Whatever they do to it....it's not the same!!!

A small price to pay for living here though

Linda
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:35 am
Senile Member

Question Re: Typically British things? Ideas?

Originally Posted by Linda P
I am so glad that someone agrees with me......I thought my taste buds must be playing tricks on me!!!!

The chocolate here in Canada I find tasteless....I have been told they add wax to it so it travels better

Whatever they do to it....it's not the same!!!

A small price to pay for living here though

Linda
I only could tolerate the Swiss or Belgian chocolate imports (far more expensive in the stores) ever since moving to Canada in "86... it's not right, I dont know if its the ingredients or the way they make the chocolate in Canada but it just tastes bloody wierd and has a strange after taste to it... taste reminds me of chewing on tin foil with mettalic fillings in teeth, I couldn't get used to it in 16 years of living there, curbed my chocolate cravings to only the expensive imported swiss/belgian stuff but cost a pretty penny to support the tastes!

Last edited by Daedra; Dec 23rd 2006 at 12:39 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I found Super Drug Mart at Crowfoot shopping centre were selling HUGE bars of real Cadbury's chocolate, made in and imported from England.

The usual stuff is made in Toronto, and that's the stuff to avoid! This was the real McCoy!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
As Nova Scotia seems more Scottish than Scotland, can somebody tell me if I can easily buy shortbread, oatcakes, pickled beetroot and porridge oats. Can I expect to be able to purchase a haggis for Burns Night (Jan 25th)?

Can you buy HP brown sauce in Canada? Any tips on anything else we take for granted over here but is not available in Canada would be gratefully received Thanks
Shortbread, pickled beets and porridge oats are no problem, you will be able to find them in any grocery store. Oatcakes tend to turn up more with real home-baked goods so you may have to visit some smaller shops, but still no problem to find, especially around Cape Breton. Haggis does turn up around Robbie Burns night - Pete's Frootique will be your best bet. I suspect you will become familiar with Pete anyway, as Nova Scotia's main importer of all things British.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by sydney
What about a typically British alcoholic drink (not lager) that I might be able to get in case I can't get cider (which I will try to get).
Not sure where you are in Ontario, but I would suggest Pimm's as a typically British drink not many Canadians will have tried. We found it in several LCBOs around Toronto, though it was more prevalent in the summer. The LCBO website has a search function which will tell you if and where something is in stock.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 1:41 am
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Not sure where you are in Ontario, but I would suggest Pimm's as a typically British drink not many Canadians will have tried. We found it in several LCBOs around Toronto, though it was more prevalent in the summer. The LCBO website has a search function which will tell you if and where something is in stock.
Wow, I'll try out their website now.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII

Dried Pigs blood yuuuuukkkkkkk!!!!!!!! and what are the lumpy things in it?
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Shortbread (often called Scottish Shortbread on the tins) ... I am quite doubtful about haggis being easily avaidable in Canada
That's because the Scots are the Shortbread Kings!!!

Haggis is generally tough to get hold of and you will find it drier over here as they put more oats in it! .. However, most reputable outfits do stock it in the lead up to Robbie Burns day!
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:26 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Shortbread (often called Scottish Shortbread on the tins) and porridge oats (Quaker oats or Quaker instant oats in Canada) are readily avaidable in Canada as well. Pickled beetroot we got (though it was more readily found in large slices rather then shredded like in the UK)... I am quite doubtful about haggis being easily avaidable in Canada... I would get a good recipe printed up to take with you and find out what (possibly unusual) ingredients you will need to bring with you from the UK to make it there yourself just in case. Most local Canadian butchers will be able to get you any part of the animals you ask for with some forewarning (if not usually stocked) as to them, its just less stuff to chuck in the bin... only saying so 'cos I heard rumours that haggis is made from nasty body parts of pigs *lol*
I enjoy haggis but would never want to make one, would be put right off

Had to laugh Daedra about you being told that the kidney in steak and kidney pie was kidney beans. See what parent will tell you just to get you to eat it When I was a kid my dad often had a tongue sandwich........ means something different now of course!!!!!!! Don't know what I thought tongue slices were when I was younger but I remember being horrified when I saw a whole one uncooked and on a tray in the butcher :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.