Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

TV subscription services - for Roku, Fire etc

TV subscription services - for Roku, Fire etc

Old Jan 27th 2020, 5:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default TV subscription services - for Roku, Fire etc

My MIL likes to plonk herself down in the chair and will happily watch cookery shows, stuff like Bones, NCIS, CSI, True Crime stuff, something called Botched on "E" and Turner Classic Movies... but she will also watch things with other family members on Nettflix or other things streamed/downloaded.

The first set of viewing is easily achieved via a mainstream TV package. But it effectively costs $100 a month. The most basic TV - $25 a month - would include about a third of what she enjoys but only at specific times. As far as I can see there would be nothing for her in the afternoons and early evening.

Although Netflix is easy enough to navigate on a computer, functionality is less user friendly on TV. She's much more comfortable with the general TV menu.

So...what subscription services might there be that satisfy her tastes and ease of functionality, that could replace the TV package?

I looked at Sundance - the live TV doesn't look very good but the "now" or on demand one looks okay @$6.99/$4.99 monthly depending how often you pay.

Does anyone know of a couple of other channels free or of an amount that doesn't negate a TV saving that might have cooking shows, true crime, old movies, police procedural etc accessible via a Firestick?
Old Jan 29th 2020, 3:45 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV subscription services - for Roku, Fire etc

This is the million dollar question. How can I cancel my TV subscription but still watch TV for free. The only answer is, illegally, on a dodgy service that goes up and down all the time.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesnt seem to be a true cable replacement yet. Ha ha

We negotiated lower rates with Shaw we pay 70% less for cable vs their published rates for TV. They seem to be losing too many cable customers and are willing to negotiate.

We have landline that costs 12 month but they credit us 12 a month for it essentially making it free.

Only thing they wont negotiate price on is internet.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 5:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
This is the million dollar question. How can I cancel my TV subscription but still watch TV for free. The only answer is, illegally, on a dodgy service that goes up and down all the time.
I think that depends what you want to watch. Plus I'm also happy to pay for legit alternatives.

For me, I now find that DAZN gives me 90% of the rugby and football I watch and Netflix probably about half of the movies and TV produced things I watch. So that's all legal and paid for.

I'm still using a VPN for BBC (naughty) and a couple of other 'dodgy' but safe and unsubscribed sites for some things where I'm either impatient waiting for them to appear on legitimate paid for services or they won't be.

But I have a ton of stuff on Netflix that I've not yet got around to and if it became impossible or illegal on pain of death to use unofficial sources I would be perfectly fine with Netflix and DAZN and that's less than $30 a month. That's a favourable cost compared to the TV part of the internet, phone, TV package.

I know many of the TV shows I have accessed are on other legit pay services like Prime, Crave, Sundance Now and HBO - I believe those would cost around $33 total. I think I saw that Crave and HBO is about $20 combined.

So from my point of view, $30 a month is legal and reasonable. I was desperate to see Twin Peaks when it returned a couple of years back and I could have watched on Crave for $6 a month for the four months it was on for. I could add Sundance Now for $7 a month and that would enable me to watch The Legends that I'm currently hooked on.

But my mother in law's not like me and I need to include her viewing habits. I can't believe it needs to cost $100 a month. The cop/procedural stuff - there's plenty on Netflix and that's already paid for.

I know she can watch Jamie Oliver on youtube but somehow that just doesn't seem the same as putting the telly on and just watching. I believe she could watch some of the shows on "E" on line but, again, that's not the same as "on the telly".

She has her own laptop and she does play games on it - something I don't do - but her on line activity is restricted to a news site from her home town of Montreal.

I was just hoping someone would know of some legitimate subscription or channel service that might provide the things she likes without having to navigate the internet and that would be as easy as TV (or close to it) and accessed by Fire stick.

Old Jan 29th 2020, 6:33 pm
Oscar nominated

Well wouldn't you know it. I just decided to bite the bullet and do my own (expecting to be mind numbing) research and already I discovered last CBS All Access is now available in Canada. I remembered seeing something before but only in the USA. $6 a month or you can pay $10 a month for no commercials and the ability to download and watch later.

That would take care of the cop/procedural shows.

Crave - just Crave, not even with HBO - $10 has a lot more than I thought with a whole bunch of food shows including Master Chef.

I reckon CBS all access and Crave would do it. $16 a month instead of $100.

Old Feb 7th 2020, 4:25 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I had a sales call from Telus the other night trying to sell me OpticTV which I declined. Anyway, towards the end of the conversation the rep introduced me to their streaming TV service called Telus Pik

So I ended up signing a 2 year contract for for 23 basic channels, and 5 custom channels for $10 per month. The 5 channels I can change every 30 days. They also upgraded my internet download allowance to 'unlimited' and instead of giving me an AppleTV they are sending me a $150 Visa card.

I think I done good. Daughter is happy she gets to watch Dr Pimple Popper on the TLC channel and I get to watch 24x7 Trump coverage on CNN.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 5:12 pm
Oscar nominated

I had a sales call from Telus the other night trying to sell me OpticTV which I declined. Anyway, towards the end of the conversation the rep introduced me to their streaming TV service called Telus Pik

So I ended up signing a 2 year contract for for 23 basic channels, and 5 custom channels for $10 per month. The 5 channels I can change every 30 days. They also upgraded my internet download allowance to 'unlimited' and instead of giving me an AppleTV they are sending me a $150 Visa card.

I think I done good. Daughter is happy she gets to watch Dr Pimple Popper on the TLC channel and I get to watch 24x7 Trump coverage on CNN.
I think you done good too. The normal price shows as $20 so it's not like a big increase at the end of two years.
Any hidden stuff like remotes or boxes?

I shall have to look into that.

BellAliant's skinny is about $25 and last time I looked didn't include remote or box with no possibility off adding anything.

Bugger - TELUS Home Services aren’t available in your region.

Last edited by BristolUK; Feb 7th 2020 at 5:15 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

watch Dr Pimple Popper on the TLC channel
The end of civilization as we know it. I can't believe people watch that.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 6:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The end of civilization as we know it. I can't believe people watch that.
Agreed. Don't watch it when you are eating dinner.