For the TV streamers

Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:29 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the TV streamers

This site has all the directions and everything necessary to set it up on a number of different systems.

XBMC install

And would be easier for you than me trying to step you through it.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
This site has all the directions and everything necessary to set it up on a number of different systems.

XBMC install

Norton won't let me download it... apparently it's a severe risk
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

XBMC install

Do you do house calls?
Old Jan 11th 2014, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

For those that want a simple solution that works to watch UK and US TV and US Netflix I recommend: Tunlr: http://tunlr.net/

We have been using it for a couple years now to get US stuff, BBC and ITV players...ITV live...and More4 and US NETFLIX. Its is very easy to set up and reliable. Since Jan of this year you need to create an account..never did that before. but anyway, its still free.

We mainly use home theater PCs (HTPCs) connected to our TVs...but if you want to skip that (HDMI cables) and have a computer that is Intel WIDI/Miracast capable then you can use what you have to send whatever you are watching straight to the TV. I have smart TVs but only use NETFLIX/Pandora using the actual TV apps.

This little baby and a computer can make any TV smart....but make sure you by the "Screenbeam Pro Kit" (has a USB transmitter also) if you have an older computer to mirror UK TV etc pulled in through the computer:

http://ca.shop.actiontec.com/screenbeampro.html

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16815141002

It's the dogs bollx if you don't want to dedicate a HTPC. I use one...and can state they are excellent.

I also use one of these:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products...x#tab-features

But they only work with WIDI/Miracast stuff...and not older computers.

With reasonable streaming capabilities and you will be watching more UK/US stuff (unblocked NETFLIX) on the big screen for ZERO cost thanks to Tunlr.

I enter the DNS settings in my router...although you can also do it as they state here:

http://tunlr.net/get-started/

Lots of info on YouTube if needed.

Nothing new in this post...could have cut and pasted what has been shoved up before...but hey...

Happy New year, AS....

Last edited by airbornesapper; Jan 11th 2014 at 2:15 am.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

XBMC install

Animal...why XMBC over plain and simple DLNA?

I rarely use DLNA now anyway, as like you we mainly stream...so DLNA is basically redundant from a media perspective....

I think your answer may be that I use too many computers...and really should use DLNA and maybe XBMC from a server/main computer.

Thoughts appreciated if you have time...AS
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
For those that want a simple solution that works to watch UK and US TV and US Netflix I recommend: Tunlr: http://tunlr.net/
Tunlr seems to have been haven issues over the last couple of days with BBC iPlayer.

Possibly a DNS problem.

I've got an HP N40L Microserver, with a decent graphics card as a streaming device/HTPC. This is also our homer server.

Handily, it has automatic voltage switching.

They regularly almost give these away in the UK after rebates - as low as £75 for a server (no drives installed). Ours has 8GB RAM, a decent graphics card with HDMI out and 8TB of storage, plus a Bluray RW drive. Running Windows Home Server 2011 and XBMC plus other stuff like Vuse etc.

Currently connected to a 70" TV!

Last edited by withabix; Jan 11th 2014 at 4:27 am.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

No issues with Tunlr my end...but we did have to create an account, which is new....getting on their whitelist is key. BBC player is working good.

I do have a server running windows home server....but it is underutilized. I am happy with my hardware....but the item you mention seems excellent bang for the pound...

As for tunlr...I expect you have a new account also...if not...I would look there...
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking at this thread and looking at all the suggestions but i am not really sure what the best option is. I downloaded XBMC to check it out but didn't get to grips with it at all and googling stuff on how to load iplayer seemed overly complicated, i just haven't understood it as yet. I have looked at Tunir and Unotelly amongst others but what do they give me that i haven't already got?

Using Media hint on google chrome i can get iplayer, ITV player and Channel 4OD, all free without issues as well as some live stuff if i want it. I already have a TV subscription with Shaw so get all the usual Canadian/US chanels but if i wanted to get rid of Shaw and find those chanels on the Internet with a Roku for example then i am sure any worth their salt would be by subscription only and any free ones would be available regardless.
I would love to kick Shaw into touch but there are some chanels that we do watch in between streaming some UK stuff. One things for sure i do not want endless UK TV, i have no interest in following Eastenders or Corrie every night.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I have actually had a chance to sit down and tinker with the Roku box lately and I'm finding it really good .

As well as the usual Netflix uses you can set it up with a plex server on the computers in your house so it automatically picks up any movies or tv series that you have downloaded to play wirelessly through the tv . There are also a load of unsupported apps and plug-ins that you can put onto the plex - www.yify.tv is one of them that plays all the newest movies etc without the annoying pop-ups that normally associate with this type of site .

Hopefully they are working on a wiziwig plug-in for the sports streaming

Also got plug-ins for a couple of late night entertainment channels for when the kids are in bed .
The only drawback I can see with the roku 3 is that there is still no native browser on it but to be honest there are enough devices in the house that connect to google etc - 100 bucks well spent so far
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:26 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for the late replies, I've not managed to get on for a couple of weeks so missed these.

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Norton won't let me download it... apparently it's a severe risk
If it's from the main site (www.xbmchub.com), it is fine to download.

Originally Posted by Oink
Do you do house calls?
I have done and there are now 8 people from the people at work who have converted over and 2 of those have 'cut the cord' to their cable/satellite subscription - pay for my flight, beer, couch to sleep on a night and I'll provide the box to do it

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Animal...why XMBC over plain and simple DLNA?

I rarely use DLNA now anyway, as like you we mainly stream...so DLNA is basically redundant from a media perspective....

I think your answer may be that I use too many computers...and really should use DLNA and maybe XBMC from a server/main computer.

Thoughts appreciated if you have time...AS
DNLA is good if you are streaming from a PC and have them conected to other TV's around the house (or a smart TV), I had something similar but like the idea of a small box by the TV, that can do it all without having to mess around with the computer every time I want to watch something and just do it from my TV Remote.

Originally Posted by nldfc
I have actually had a chance to sit down and tinker with the Roku box lately and I'm finding it really good .

As well as the usual Netflix uses you can set it up with a plex server on the computers in your house so it automatically picks up any movies or tv series that you have downloaded to play wirelessly through the tv . There are also a load of unsupported apps and plug-ins that you can put onto the plex - www.yify.tv is one of them that plays all the newest movies etc without the annoying pop-ups that normally associate with this type of site .

Hopefully they are working on a wiziwig plug-in for the sports streaming

Also got plug-ins for a couple of late night entertainment channels for when the kids are in bed .
The only drawback I can see with the roku 3 is that there is still no native browser on it but to be honest there are enough devices in the house that connect to google etc - 100 bucks well spent so far
I started with Plex, but found XMBC a lot more powerful, user friendly (which is great for my wife) and more support from people writing the add ons etc.

1channel is an add on for XBMC that uses yift.tv amongst others to search and play TV Shows and Movies.

XBMC has several sports streaming Addon and I watched an HD American stream of the superbowl for the commercials on it with no problems at all. As for your 'late night entertainment channels' - there is a fantastic one (so I'm told ) for XBMC that searches through about 30-40 sites to play whatever takes your fancy.....

You can't install XBMC onto a Roku - yet - but I ow they are working on it. I am just about to buy another little box for a TV I'm buying for the bedroom called a "OUYA". ($99 from Amazon with free delivery) I believe it comes with XBMC pre-installed and can also play retro games on it like Mario.

Originally Posted by Printer
I downloaded XBMC to check it out but didn't get to grips with it at all and googling stuff on how to load iplayer seemed overly complicated, i just haven't understood it as yet.
I'd say stick at it - it really is worth it. After you install the repository, it is very simple to add any add ons within that. It should take literally 2 minutes to add the two things you need to do to be watching BBC I Player. Drop me a PM if you want and I'll write down how to do it.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should mention the ouya - That was my choice on the 1st post of this thread but ended up opting for the roku

If the xbmc goes onto the roku I think that will cheer me up no end - if xbmc goes on I think I can use wiziwig from that
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:51 pm
I said what ?!

Funny you should mention the ouya - That was my choice on the 1st post of this thread but ended up opting for the roku

If the xbmc goes onto the roku I think that will cheer me up no end - if xbmc goes on I think I can use wiziwig from that
So it was !

As it's near impossible to get the Apple TV 2 now (well I'm not paying $300 for one anyway!), I've done a bit more of looking into it since that first post and like the look of the roku but as it doesn't use XBMC, I'm opting for the Ouya.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is the ouya freely available in Canada now ? - Target was supposed to be carrying it but when I asked about it I just got blank stares

I may still get an Ouya box next - My 8 yr old really likes the boxee box so that may end up getting retired to her bedroom - The only think about the boxee that I like is the qwerty keyboard on the remote
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:53 pm
I said what ?!

Is the ouya freely available in Canada now ? - Target was supposed to be carrying it but when I asked about it I just got blank stares

I may still get an Ouya box next - My 8 yr old really likes the boxee box so that may end up getting retired to her bedroom - The only think about the boxee that I like is the qwerty keyboard on the remote
Amazon.ca carries the Ouya for the $99 and free shipping. Not tried any retail stores as such.

A friend at work has a Boxee Box thing and installed XBMC and loves it.

I'd actually not use the Ouya controller for XBMC as I've got one of these spare to use with it which has the keyboard on also.

a lot Cheaper in the UK
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:09 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for the late replies, I've not managed to get on for a couple of weeks so missed these.

If it's from the main site (www.xbmchub.com), it is fine to download.

I have done and there are now 8 people from the people at work who have converted over and 2 of those have 'cut the cord' to their cable/satellite subscription - pay for my flight, beer, couch to sleep on a night and I'll provide the box to do it

DNLA is good if you are streaming from a PC and have them conected to other TV's around the house (or a smart TV), I had something similar but like the idea of a small box by the TV, that can do it all without having to mess around with the computer every time I want to watch something and just do it from my TV Remote.

I started with Plex, but found XMBC a lot more powerful, user friendly (which is great for my wife) and more support from people writing the add ons etc.

1channel is an add on for XBMC that uses yift.tv amongst others to search and play TV Shows and Movies.

XBMC has several sports streaming Addon and I watched an HD American stream of the superbowl for the commercials on it with no problems at all. As for your 'late night entertainment channels' - there is a fantastic one (so I'm told ) for XBMC that searches through about 30-40 sites to play whatever takes your fancy.....

You can't install XBMC onto a Roku - yet - but I ow they are working on it. I am just about to buy another little box for a TV I'm buying for the bedroom called a "OUYA". ($99 from Amazon with free delivery) I believe it comes with XBMC pre-installed and can also play retro games on it like Mario.

I'd say stick at it - it really is worth it. After you install the repository, it is very simple to add any add ons within that. It should take literally 2 minutes to add the two things you need to do to be watching BBC I Player. Drop me a PM if you want and I'll write down how to do it.

Animal Mechanical.......XBMC is indeed the dog's bollocks innit? I hear ya with regards to ATV2 (owned a couple of years ago and sold it), but won't pay $300 odd for a jailbroken one now.

Once you get the Ouya, pls report back with a detailed review of your experience. I currently have the patriot box office, and it's not too shabby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.