Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

TV, Internet and Phone

TV, Internet and Phone

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV, Internet and Phone

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
If you want a physical keyboard, then get the Blackberry that has the physical keyboard that runs Android.

PRIV - New BlackBerry Android Secure Smartphone - Canada
I have the PRIV and its glitchy as hell and at times very slow, even on home wifi thats 50mbps its slow at times and i check the connection speed and its running at full speed.
Just so you know.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to cast geo-restricted content (e.g., iPlayer) then honestly just hook up a laptop to the TV. (I had Chromecast working for awhile with iPlayer and other Netflix regions but it's getting more and more difficult to find the workarounds.)
The newest of our three TVs was bought in 2005. None of them are HD and none has HDMI input so to put anything from computer to TV we just use a thumbdrive.

We do that through the PS3 (not all file formats though) although I believe some do it through a DVD player, it's just that ours is too basic for that.

On the other hand, when did we last play a DVD?

Netflix also comes through the PS3 but it's also a channel in our BellAliant Fibe TV package that needs the usual sign in, so it's available via laptop, TV and PS3/TV

Edit: We also have a desktop hooked up to the TV. It wasn't an expensive unit. It does our downloading, and it means that playing stuff is way easier than trying to cast since you can just use the TV as a really big monitor
Actually that's a good idea. I never thought of that. If you don't mind the space used up it does save re-positioning/reconnecting a laptop.

If you don't still have your old Desktop you could probably pick up something good enough cheap. And it could even be part of your back-up plan
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:15 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a physical keyboard, then get the Blackberry that has the physical keyboard that runs Android.

PRIV - New BlackBerry Android Secure Smartphone - Canada

Wheels could easily use a Chromecast from their Apple devices. You'd open the video app (say, Netflix) and you'll get an additional icon that allows you to cast the video to the TV. https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/ch.../tv/#?discover
Yeah I know, I need a Priv, I used to love the slideout keyboard on my Nokia E75. The price is putting me off though; it's not available on Koodo. I'm kind of waiting for the new fixed keyboard blackberry due early next year.

I've read that the Priv is extremely sensitive to the version of android its running; on Lollipop it's not good and has battery overheating issues. On Marshmallow it's fine. And Android has just launched Nougat... coming to Nexus phones first, of course.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The newest of our three TVs was bought in 2005. None of them are HD and none has HDMI input so to put anything from computer to TV we just use a thumbdrive.

We do that through the PS3 (not all file formats though) although I believe some do it through a DVD player, it's just that ours is too basic for that.

On the other hand, when did we last play a DVD?

Netflix also comes through the PS3 but it's also a channel in our BellAliant Fibe TV package that needs the usual sign in, so it's available via laptop, TV and PS3/TV

Actually that's a good idea. I never thought of that. If you don't mind the space used up it does save re-positioning/reconnecting a laptop.

If you don't still have your old Desktop you could probably pick up something good enough cheap. And it could even be part of your back-up plan
I have an old banger of a laptop that might do the trick...
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
If your password can be easily spelt by a native speaker of that language, it ain't secure enough

Ours is in a mix of German & Portuguese with some random numbers and symbols thrown in.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I have just seen that Bell Aliant are putting up the cost of the bundle I have to $181 per month!!!

I signed up for $99 a month 3 years ago which is about to expire. I also pay $17 extra for Sportsnet world. With the price increase the bill will be about $223 a month or $2676 a year!!! HOLY SHEEP S**T batman!!!!

I am going to get rid of it as I am not going to pay that. I will be going with Shaw satellite tv basic plus sports for $72 a month and just use the data on my phone for internet.

I was wondering what does everyone have in the way of TV, Internet and Phone???
I am pretty fed up with Bell. Last month I paid $255 including several movie channels, home phone and unlimited internet and tax. Still far too much. Was getting a good deal with Rogers after being with them for some years but got fed up with their Navigatr guide and closed my account. I too started at a lower rate with Bell but it has edged up over the months.
Phone is still with Rogers and that's $100 a month with 3GB.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 9:49 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Ours is in a mix of German & Portuguese with some random numbers and symbols thrown in.
That'll work!
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:21 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Just noticed some of the AT&T castoff Priv's on ebay for C$400. That price is starting to get tempting.

You have to sideload your own updates though which would be a pain in the bum.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Fred Louise is an unknown quantity at this point

I was with Shaw, but am going to try to go to a smaller provider to cut costs. My young one will figure it out for me, me' mind boggles with all the choices. But we have Chromecast and it's very easy to use
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by allegra
Phone is still with Rogers and that's $100 a month with 3GB.
I would shop around for that if you can I have 4gb and unlimited calls and msg with Koodo for $75 a month.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:54 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I would shop around for that if you can I have 4gb and unlimited calls and msg with Koodo for $75 a month.
Agreed. Husband is with Koodo, 2GB, unlimited text (incl picture and international), 500 daytime minutes, and unlimited between 5pm and 8am for $40/month.

I have the same plan but 1GB of data for $30/month.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Husband is with Koodo, 2GB, unlimited text (incl picture and international), 500 daytime minutes, and unlimited between 5pm and 8am for $40/month.

Is that on prepaid?
Old Aug 26th 2016, 11:06 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Is that on prepaid?
Nope, monthly.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:22 pm
Proudly Scarberian

That is good- my base koodo contract for $35 only has 100 daytime mins/ month (which tbh is enough) but no data...
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
That is good- my base koodo contract for $35 only has 100 daytime mins/ month (which tbh is enough) but no data...
WTF that is a ripoff.

I just checked Koodo's site. For $40/month if you have your own phone:
$40 / Month
500 MB of Shock-Freeā„¢ data 1
500 Canada-wide anytime minutes
Unlimited messaging (text & picture) 2
Unlimited evenings and weekends (5pm) 3
Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling 6
Additional data $5/100 MB

https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans

Seriously, sort that out.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in the correct areas and don't leave the area often and don't care about zones, chatr has 40/month with 1gb data, unlimited in zone calling Canada wide + US, unlimited texting incl international. But it's only available in certain regions.

Greater Toronto Area, South Western Ontario, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary.

We have them but no data, but of the prepaid which we need they seem to have the best options, just are not in a zone for the data plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.