Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

TV, Internet and Phone

TV, Internet and Phone

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:17 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV, Internet and Phone

Originally Posted by Gozit
We have unlimited but only ever use 250gbs per month so would probably be fine on a 300gb package as well. But its nice to have the peace of mind for downloading, when friends are over, if I need to download lots of software for a client etc so we keep it. Same with the mobile data we don't need all of the data we have 80% of the time but the 20% of the time that we do it is really good to have.
At least it's unlimited from 2am to 8am... so we've just said that if we are getting close to the limit regularly we'll set as much automated stuff as we can to just download in that time... but it hasn't been a problem!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:30 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Did you buy the modem outright?
Yes I did. I reckon I'll be well under 100Gig to start off with.

So... dumb question... what do I need to stream a movie to the TV? (And since I'm buying a TV soon si there anything I need to look for).

I know you can do it via an xbox/ wii/ etc but I'm not sure I'll be investing in a games controller now.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:33 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel

So... dumb question... what do I need to stream a movie to the TV? (And since I'm buying a TV soon si there anything I need to look for).

I know you can do it via an xbox/ wii/ etc but I'm not sure I'll be investing in a games controller now.
If you want to cast "legit" content (e.g., Netflix in Canada with no funkiness), then get a Chromecast. Cheap, simple, your phone works as a remote.

If you want to cast geo-restricted content (e.g., iPlayer) then honestly just hook up a laptop to the TV. (I had Chromecast working for awhile with iPlayer and other Netflix regions but it's getting more and more difficult to find the workarounds.)

Edit: We also have a desktop hooked up to the TV. It wasn't an expensive unit. It does our downloading, and it means that playing stuff is way easier than trying to cast since you can just use the TV as a really big monitor. It's easy and simple, we have a wireless keyboard with a built-in mouse. My parents have the same setup.

This is one that it really depends what you want to watch on the TV. Normal Netflix? Geo-restricted content? Downloaded content? etc etc...
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I really can't understand this. I am seeing from all your posts that 250GB is quite a reasonable figure. This is what we had with Shaw, four of us with two teenagers. Then we moved and switched over to Telus and lost a teenager (to University). We also started to exceed the 250GB regularly. The remaining teenager does stream a lot on her phone but she says no more than she used to when we were with Shaw. So I ended up paying an extra $10 for unlimited from when we had a temporary lodger staying in the suite downstairs even though we were exceeding it before the lodger came.

Grrr Telus!

Sorry, rant over!

S
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of USB connections and a few HDMI too so you can connect lots to it.
My sound bar needed a light connection which fortunately my TV had lol
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:47 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know~! I'll have a TV for the kids, at the moment all I watch is old UK comedy clips on Youtube- Mitchel & Webb is the current favorite. But then I do that on the tablet in bed, watching something on a TV in a living room is not something I've ever really done.

Is chromecast an android thing?

Maybe I should ask the little wheels... I'm sounding incredibly technodumb here...

If you want to cast "legit" content (e.g., Netflix in Canada with no funkiness), then get a Chromecast. Cheap, simple, your phone works as a remote.

If you want to cast geo-restricted content (e.g., iPlayer) then honestly just hook up a laptop to the TV. (I had Chromecast working for awhile with iPlayer and other Netflix regions but it's getting more and more difficult to find the workarounds.)

Edit: We also have a desktop hooked up to the TV. It wasn't an expensive unit. It does our downloading, and it means that playing stuff is way easier than trying to cast since you can just use the TV as a really big monitor. It's easy and simple, we have a wireless keyboard with a built-in mouse. My parents have the same setup.

This is one that it really depends what you want to watch on the TV. Normal Netflix? Geo-restricted content? Downloaded content? etc etc...
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I really can't understand this. I am seeing from all your posts that 250GB is quite a reasonable figure. This is what we had with Shaw, four of us with two teenagers. Then we moved and switched over to Telus and lost a teenager (to University). We also started to exceed the 250GB regularly. The remaining teenager does stream a lot on her phone but she says no more than she used to when we were with Shaw. So I ended up paying an extra $10 for unlimited from when we had a temporary lodger staying in the suite downstairs even though we were exceeding it before the lodger came.

Grrr Telus!

Sorry, rant over!

S
Are you in a built up area? do you change your WiFi password regularly ?
Last year i found out someone had managed to connect to my wifi and i was getting close to my data limit.
One mistake i made was not shutting off playback properly on streaming so it was still streaming even when i wasnt there lol
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you know I have been wondering about that.
We are a group of just three houses but ... we live right next door to a big strata complex.

Yes, I'll change my password. You are right.

Thanks!
S
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:03 pm
Proudly Scarberian

If your password can be easily spelt by a native speaker of that language, it ain't secure enough

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes you know I have been wondering about that.
We are a group of just three houses but ... we live right next door to a big strata complex.

Yes, I'll change my password. You are right.

Thanks!
S
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:05 pm
Concierge

Snowy - you should be able to check on your router what devices are accessing your internet. Changing the password works too, though, lol.

Pizza - yes, Android thing but works from iOS as well. If they want to watch netflix, youtube, whatever without any geo-restricted stuff then it's super easy.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:22 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizza - yes, Android thing but works from iOS as well. If they want to watch netflix, youtube, whatever without any geo-restricted stuff then it's super easy.
I'm still on Blackberry....
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:24 pm
Concierge

I'm still on Blackberry....
Then no chromecast for you, I think. :P

If the wheels have Android or iOS though then you're fine.

Or if you have an Android or iOS tablet you are also good to go.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:40 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Yeah the little wheels are fully appled up.

With whatsapp dissappearing off blackberry at Christmas I have a real dilemma. I`m locked into a contract at work until 2018 and I don`t want to upgrade there (hence extending the contract) as I want to drop that number and bring my personal number in.

My personal cellphone is also a blackberry (keyboard type which I prefer) but it`s on its last legs. Looks like I need to buy something to get me through to 2018 when I can merge down to one phone.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:42 pm
Concierge

Yeah the little wheels are fully appled up.

With whatsapp dissappearing off blackberry at Christmas I have a real dilemma. I`m locked into a contract at work until 2018 and I don`t want to upgrade there (hence extending the contract) as I want to drop that number and bring my personal number in.

My personal cellphone is also a blackberry (keyboard type which I prefer) but it`s on its last legs. Looks like I need to buy something to get me through to 2018 when I can merge down to one phone.
If you want a physical keyboard, then get the Blackberry that has the physical keyboard that runs Android.

PRIV - New BlackBerry Android Secure Smartphone - Canada

Wheels could easily use a Chromecast from their Apple devices. You'd open the video app (say, Netflix) and you'll get an additional icon that allows you to cast the video to the TV. https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/ch.../tv/#?discover
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snowy - you should be able to check on your router what devices are accessing your internet. Changing the password works too, though, lol.

I checked mine and wasnt sure so i switched off everything in my place that connected to my wifi and still had one connected.
Funny a few weeks after that at a condo meeting someone commented they asked a guy why he was sat on our back steps and he said he was connected to wifi in the building, may have been him who figured out the standard telus password. Its a complicated one now lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.