Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Turning off Google tracking

Turning off Google tracking

Old Aug 14th 2018, 10:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Turning off Google tracking

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ation-tracking

What is to be gained? I'm not on the run from any of the world's security services so I don't have any reason to be wary of logging on to an account or using my credit card to pay for a flight to Brazil and I don't have a cell phone so that can't be tracked either.

I do have some top secret information that I downloaded from a CIA computer onto a thumbdrive but I don't think they know that. Yet.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 12:08 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turning off Google tracking

Originally Posted by BristolUK
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ation-tracking

What is to be gained? I'm not on the run from any of the world's security services so I don't have any reason to be wary of logging on to an account or using my credit card to pay for a flight to Brazil and I don't have a cell phone so that can't be tracked either.

I do have some top secret information that I downloaded from a CIA computer onto a thumbdrive but I don't think they know that. Yet.
I won't tell, promise.

Isn't this about people who dislike adverts on websites generally, so it's an attempt to thwart localised ads? I see that the article refers to personalised services, but I'll wager that it all comes down to the lucrative advertising.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 12:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Isn't this about people who dislike adverts on websites generally, so it's an attempt to thwart localised ads? I see that the article refers to personalised services, but I'll wager that it all comes down to the lucrative advertising.
I assume advertising too, but I haven't turned off either of the things mentioned. Adblockers seem to take care of advertising.

I've looked at BE with adblocker disabled, out of curiosity, and it seems subject related rather than locale. The Guardian displays Moncton weather but I find that useful and I believe that's down to my registration with the site anyway.

There is one website that I am working my way through missed Simpsons episodes on and at the bottom are things like Asian girls keen to meet mature men and sometimes it will mention Moncton, but I suspect that if I enabled my VPN or turned off those google things mentioned, those seductive ads would still be there, but maybe not mentioning Moncton occasionally. It wouldn't make the slightest difference as I don't imagine the woman 40 years younger than me would be interested regardless of where we both lived.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 14th 2018 at 12:36 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 1:40 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

...Adblockers seem to take care of advertising...
Yes, they work nicely for me.

I just tried to PM you on a related matter, but I can't find a way to include a screenshot that might be of interest, I only get invited to use a URL.

I'll ask about this in the Site Feedback area.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 3:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they work nicely for me.

I just tried to PM you on a related matter, but I can't find a way to include a screenshot that might be of interest, I only get invited to use a URL.

I'll ask about this in the Site Feedback area.

You can't - you never have been able to send images in PM's although you can include a link to one, of course.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 3:23 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can't - you never have been able to send images in PM's although you can include a link to one, of course.
Thank you Siouxie. Given that, could you possibly delete my question in the Site Feedback please?
Old Aug 14th 2018, 3:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Siouxie. Given that, could you possibly delete my question in the Site Feedback please?

Welcome!
Leave it there - you never know - maybe they can push a magic button and allow it! Worth asking
Old Aug 14th 2018, 4:12 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome!
Leave it there - you never know - maybe they can push a magic button and allow it! Worth asking
Ok, let's leave it.

Although I can see the reason for not allowing it. After all, people might end up swapping photos of lawnmowers or tea-towels and goodness knows what other stuff.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 4:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, let's leave it.

Although I can see the reason for not allowing it. After all, people might end up swapping photos of lawnmowers or tea-towels and goodness knows what other stuff.
Bugger. I like a good photo of a tea-towel
Old Aug 14th 2018, 4:39 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Bugger. I like a good photo of a tea-towel
Ah, go on then. Just for you...

Old Aug 14th 2018, 5:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, go on then. Just for you...

Old Aug 14th 2018, 5:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It is a bit weird though, having that location by location history to your life logged in black and white. I briefly checked my file and flipped back a few years ago and literally every movement was on there. And yet, I feel compelled to keep it on.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 7:27 pm
Oscar nominated

Create a thread. I seem to remember a spoof Russian playboy many decades ago with photospreads of tanks and tractors.

Originally Posted by Shard
It is a bit weird though, having that location by location history to your life logged in black and white. I briefly checked my file and flipped back a few years ago and literally every movement was on there. And yet, I feel compelled to keep it on.
Sounds like a good alibi source. Unless you really are the guilty party.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good alibi source. Unless you really are the guilty party.

That's always been on my mind when I think about tracking and phones, more difficult to be wrongly accused your phone has been tracking your movements.

I've seen too many crime shows where people have been convicted without having committed the crime only to be found not guilty 20+ years later........Had they had some sort of proof of where they actually were, they may not have been convicted in the first place.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That's always been on my mind when I think about tracking and phones, more difficult to be wrongly accused your phone has been tracking your movements.

I've seen too many crime shows where people have been convicted without having committed the crime only to be found not guilty 20+ years later........Had they had some sort of proof of where they actually were, they may not have been convicted in the first place.
It shows the phone was there, it doesn't show who took the phone there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.