British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Trumps First week (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/trumps-first-week-890783/)

Danny B Aug 28th 2017 8:18 pm

Re: Trumps First week

1 Attachment(s)
Sound familiar? :p

Danny B Sep 9th 2017 12:22 am

It makes zero sense to be a Canadian Trump supporter.

It makes zero sense to be a Canadian Trump supporter: Robyn Urback - CBC News | Opinion

Shard Sep 9th 2017 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12334490)

Good piece.

Trump supporters are basically voting anti-establishment, and are not bothered about the consequences, until it hits them in the face. Do you see any 'red hats' around your way?

BristolUK Sep 9th 2017 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12334658)
...voting anti-establishment, and are not bothered about the consequences...

That sounds familiar ;)

Shard Sep 9th 2017 11:38 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12334676)
That sounds familiar ;)

Very familiar indeed.

Danny B Sep 9th 2017 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12334658)
Do you see any 'red hats' around your way?

Only once and that was in Chilliwack. I see quite a few TRUMP bumper stickers though, normally on trucks and not cars.

morpeth Sep 9th 2017 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12325971)
A pardon now or a pardon later wouldn't change the cost unless you mean why spend dollars keeping the guy in prison.

So maybe just not put anyone in prison because it's cheaper. That would work. :rofl:

Seriously, the court has found him guilty and hasn't yet sentenced him. Trump is on record as wanting the case to be dropped in the first place.

Just how wrong do you want this to look before not having any doubts? There's been a court case and a verdict. If it's wrong there is a procedure to follow to challenge it.

To grant a pardon in this manner demonstrates a total lack of respect for the legal system.

If/when the Russian investigations are concluded and some are 'guilty' and Trump pardons them because he feels they've done nothing wrong (how could it be wrong if it benefits him?) even though the evidence is that they have - and note that this includes Trump pardoning himself which he has looked into because he might have to do it because he's innocent in his own eyes - will you continue to dismiss it all as you don't have enough information?

Of course if one doesn't have enough information one should be careful in one's conclusions.

Of course if he was going to pardon the fellow anyway. why not do so- besides cost of keeping him in prison, there is cost of government personnel etc.

In any case while the Mark Rich case in comparison was a different manner : while clearly it was a case of influence peddling by all accounts, Trump's pardon perhaps much worse. Someone engaging in police activities because federal government unable to do its job and based on idea that laws should be followed, justified by " this is country of laws", proceeds to ignore a judge and determine himself what laws should be followed.

If Trump had stated " I sympathize with his intent, but this is a country of laws, and there must be some consequence to his actions" ( even if minimal) that would be a statesman- but we already know he isn't. And it already seems he lacks respect for the legal system, nothing knew there.

BristolUK Sep 10th 2017 2:03 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12335070)
Of course if one doesn't have enough information one should be careful in one's conclusions...

Well, if you know better than the court proceedings that heard all the evidence and then came to a decision, fair enough.

Almost Canadian Sep 10th 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12335112)
Well, if you know better than the court proceedings that heard all the evidence and then came to a decision, fair enough.

I've lost count of the number of times I have said something similar to you when you have commented upon the outcome of court decisions. :p

BristolUK Sep 10th 2017 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12335331)
I've lost count of the number of times I have said something similar to you when you have commented upon the outcome of court decisions. :p

That did occur to me when I typed it the first time*. :nod:
Slight difference between me, or anyone else, commenting and the POTUS granting a pardon to someone recently convicted but not yet sentenced.

*I do remember though that on at least two occasions it was agreements reneged on rather than evidence disregarded. ;)

morpeth Sep 11th 2017 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12335112)

Never claimed I knew more than the court proceedings, or whether judge's decisions were fair- quite the opposite, I just pointed out that sometimes one doesn't know enough to make a clear determination. Nor do I think those driven by strong ideology form the left or right always the best examples of objective analysis.

BristolUK Sep 11th 2017 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12336073)
Never claimed I knew more than the court proceedings, or whether judge's decisions were fair- quite the opposite..

The 'you' was about the person who made the decision. :nod:

morpeth Sep 11th 2017 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12336085)
The 'you' was about the person who made the decision. :nod:

sorry ,i misunderstood.