Trump Trump Trump

Old Jan 28th 2021, 3:29 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trump Trump Trump

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Well, there were many people out there who could have, for example, decided that racial segregation was wrong but it took a brave person like Rosa Parks to galvanise the moment. If it weren't for people like Rosa Parks, or Emmeline Pankhurst, or Nelson Mandela, or countless others, most people will simply shrug their shoulders, agree that something should probably be done, and get on with their lives as though nothing has happened. We need agitators to keep us from complacency.

Governments are not acting, that's the point. Or not acting quickly enough. You're in Canada, I bet you could go out today and buy yourself a V8 hemi truck for commuting to work, getting sub-20mpg probably, and nobody would so much as bat an eyelid.
It took 50 years to transition people from the horse and cart to a car. It will probably take at least 100 years to fully transition people from fossil fuel vehicles to pure electric. I'm hoping I will see it in my lifetime.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 4:04 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
It took 50 years to transition people from the horse and cart to a car. It will probably take at least 100 years to fully transition people from fossil fuel vehicles to pure electric. I'm hoping I will see it in my lifetime.
The transition from horse to car was driven solely by convenience and cost. If we rely on convenience and cost as the drivers for the transition from fossil fuels to electric then it could well take many decades. The point, as people like Greta are tying to make, is that we don't have the luxury of that time. We need governmental, legislative and regulatory action to drive the transition much more quickly.

It won't take 100 years to phase out fossil fuel completely, or at least to a point where it is a negligible proportion of our energy use. It'll happen much quicker than that.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 5:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The transition from horse to car was driven solely by convenience and cost. If we rely on convenience and cost as the drivers for the transition from fossil fuels to electric then it could well take many decades. The point, as people like Greta are tying to make, is that we don't have the luxury of that time. We need governmental, legislative and regulatory action to drive the transition much more quickly.

It won't take 100 years to phase out fossil fuel completely, or at least to a point where it is a negligible proportion of our energy use. It'll happen much quicker than that.
What I meant was, the first hybrids and EV's came out in the late 90's so that's 20 years gone already.

Only 15 or so countries have put hard dates on phasing out fossil fuel new car sales. I bet the USA won't be until at least until 2060, that's almost 70 years after the first hybrid was available. I do hope this new Tesla Truck & Tesla Lorry takes off and converts farmers and truckers in the US of A.

Old Jan 28th 2021, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would gladly trade a gas powered car for electric if

1- I could charge at home, which isn't currently possible.

2- Electric cars were affordable, which they currently are not.

But prices do seem to be coming down as the technology matures. Doesn't really matter what is saved over time with electric, the upfront costs are still somewhat high.

BC has the goal of no more fossil fueled powered car sales by I think 2040, but only time will tell if they meet that goal.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 10:11 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would gladly trade a gas powered car for electric if

1- I could charge at home, which isn't currently possible.

2- Electric cars were affordable, which they currently are not.

But prices do seem to be coming down as the technology matures. Doesn't really matter what is saved over time with electric, the upfront costs are still somewhat high.

BC has the goal of no more fossil fueled powered car sales by I think 2040, but only time will tell if they meet that goal.
New cars are never affordable, let alone new EV cars. There a lots of used EV's on the market though, these Nissan Leafs aren't too bad for city driving.

Not everyone has the luxury of charging at home, you are lucky living in Kelowna, I think they have 20 or so charge locations all over the city. It's just like pumping gas but takes longer. Find one near a supermarket and by the time you come back you will topped up.

The thing that scares me most about buying an EV is planning road trips so that I do not run out of power, I hate it when my fuel tank goes to 1/4 left, can't imagine the stress it would cause me knowing the nearest charge is 45km away and I only have 30km of range.

Old Jan 28th 2021, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

New cars are never affordable, let alone new EV cars. There a lots of used EV's on the market though, these Nissan Leafs aren't too bad for city driving.

Not everyone has the luxury of charging at home, you are lucky living in Kelowna, I think they have 20 or so charge locations all over the city. It's just like pumping gas but takes longer. Find one near a supermarket and by the time you come back you will topped up.

The thing that scares me most about buying an EV is planning road trips so that I do not run out of power, I hate it when my fuel tank goes to 1/4 left, can't imagine the stress it would cause me knowing the nearest charge is 45km away and I only have 30km of range.

Yes long trips are always a worry as well, seems doable with good planning but still risky it seems.

We did look at leaf used one a couple years ago, at the time the batteries seemed not so great and range not so great, but I haven't looked into it since then, I just don't want to fuss with having to find random chargers then go find something to do for whatever long it takes to charge, getting gas is still faster, and we wont be buying a car until the current one is done, and so far likely has a few more years at least, maybe a decade who knows.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 10:51 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about Canada, but you can charge a nissan leaf from a standard domestic socket outlet here in Australia. Not very fast but you can add 15km's to the range in about an hour. Fast chargers hit about 80% of full capacity in an hour.

I was looking at the leaf as Adelaide has quite a good selection of places with chargers around the place - https://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/tr...tric-vehicles/ - plus I could round trip to most places on a single charge.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Driving an electric car long-distance in Canada is going to be a lot like finding cell phone coverage ...........

huge areas with no service.

There are hundreds of miles where there will be not electricity to provide charging stations.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

All the current charging locations in Canada according to the Canadian Government, a little over 6,000 in total.

All types.

Looking at the Nissan website for the leaf, doesn't look like its an ideal car for long trips or even road trips.

Up to 149 miles and up to 249 miles depending on battery size, the 249 miles is comparable to our car on the highway, we can do 250-300 miles between fill ups.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 28th 2021 at 11:58 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 1:23 am
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
All the current charging locations in Canada according to the Canadian Government, a little over 6,000 in total.

All types.

Looking at the Nissan website for the leaf, doesn't look like its an ideal car for long trips or even road trips.

Up to 149 miles and up to 249 miles depending on battery size, the 249 miles is comparable to our car on the highway, we can do 250-300 miles between fill ups.
I could do a cross country road trip from Victoria BC to St Johns, NL (7,000kms or 4,350 miles) in seven diesel fill ups (about $350) in my Golf diesel right now.
The same trip in an electric car with a 200 mile range would require about 22 charges, each charge is about $10 from what I have gathered online. There are some savings for sure, but like Scilly said, until Canada has the charging infrastructure in place, families who road trip each year will not be interested in making the switch to EV.

Old Oct 13th 2021, 8:47 pm
Tea Drinker

Hard to believe the man has been gone from office for 9 months now. I used to love waking up to his tweet storm...
Old Oct 14th 2021, 7:40 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to believe the man has been gone from office for 9 months now. I used to love waking up to his tweet storm...
Yes, he's been gone for 9 months and still hasn't accepted it. The man is a psychopath.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 2:19 pm
Tea Drinker

Yes, he's been gone for 9 months and still hasn't accepted it. The man is a psychopath.
I have a feeling one of the Trumps will be back in 2024. One of his kids, or the man himself.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 7:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling one of the Trumps will be back in 2024. One of his kids, or the man himself.
Trump thinks he's going to run. Someone in the GOP is going to have to grow a set.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Trump thinks he's going to run. Someone in the GOP is going to have to grow a set.
Or we hope he OD's on Ivermectin and bleach before then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.